The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: “Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and charm and gaiety to life and to everything.” -Plato

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Bridge Screws...

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Member Communities -> Bottom Feeding Luthiery GuildMessage format

Love O Fair
Posted 2016-06-05 4:03 PM (#525764)
Subject: Bridge Screws...

I have read where the bridges on the sunburst models included hold-down screws because the glue didn't set as well on that finish as it did one the natural finishes. I have also read where the screws are blind into the wood with no backing plate and no nut on them inside and that the screws have a tendency to pull out if the bridge begins to lift. My 1112-1 bridge has not lifted (yet) and the top wood is still nice and flat around the bridge.. and I would like to keep it that way.. so assuming I have this information correct, would it be possible/safe to make a backing plate and to place nuts onto the protruding part of the screws? With strings currently in place, I have not been able to feel or mirror the underside to see if there is, in fact, any screw protrusion that would even accept a nut, or bracing in the way that would hinder it, but would like to take this on during the next string change if it would amount to anything practical to help stave off future bridge lifting.

Any information on this would be appreciated. Thanks.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Old Man Arthur
Posted 2016-06-05 4:55 PM (#525766 - in reply to #525764)
Subject: Re: Bridge Screws...

LOF... I just reached inside my USA Artist 1121 circa 1970-ish...
There are bolts holding the bridge in place.
This is a view of the top of the bridge... There are Long bolts under those dots.

And here is a view of the bolts inside of a (long gone) Korean 1778TX as an example.

Back to the 1121... There is NOT a backing plate behind the bridge.
There are teeny little square brown plates under the washers...
Looks like circuit board material, but I cannot be sure.
I looked in there with a teeny inspection mirror.
So just loosen the strings and stick your hand it there and feel around.
Hope that is helpful.

Edited by Old Man Arthur 2016-06-05 4:58 PM
Love O Fair
Posted 2016-06-05 6:49 PM (#525769 - in reply to #525764)

Thank you, Arthur. Yes, your reply is quite informative. I'm not sure where I read about blind screws, or exact models they were used on, so that application may not even apply to mine. The bridge on your 1121 is very similar to my 1112 in placement of the screws/bolts.. though there is a 10-ish year difference in age (mine being the newer) so I will be interested in comparing the two. I have a string change coming up soon, so I will check it when I do that in lieu of slacking them down today and will report my findings in this thread. Thanks again for your info!
Jonmark Stone
Posted 2016-06-08 7:35 PM (#525835 - in reply to #525769)

The only O I have with bridge screws is my 83 custom with the -7 finish... which reinforces Beal's comment. After 33 years, no trace of lifting.

(bridge01.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments bridge01.jpg (47KB - 0 downloads)
Love O Fair
Posted 2016-06-08 8:05 PM (#525836 - in reply to #525764)

Jonmark Stone..
The O in issue here is a couple of years older than yours.. a 1981 CB, original owner.. and I feel fortunate that I am in the same bridge boat as you with so far no trace of lifting or top wood bulging. Others I've seen haven't been so lucky. It has had light gauge strings its whole life (1818s), and according to the tension chart Arthur sent me a month or so back that gauge has kept 20 (or so) pounds of extra load off the bridge all these years in comparison to the medium gauge it came from the factory with (1919s). I'm not sure what Beal said since I don't see him on this thread, but I figure if there is a possibility of putting nuts (and maybe a small backing plate) I would simply be giving myself a little extra insurance. That is, assuming there aren't any already. I just want to make sure first that it wouldn't end up causing some unforeseen issue. I'm sure the prospects will be closer defined on this particular nomenclature once I go exploring around in there.
Old Man Arthur
Posted 2016-06-08 8:40 PM (#525837 - in reply to #525764)

You say that the bridge is NOT lifting?

Love O Fair
Posted 2016-06-10 12:55 PM (#525865 - in reply to #525764)

Dang it, Arthur! Why did you have to go and say that?? I thought SURE I could sneak by on this one! Now ya got me all freaked out (remember, I'm the superstitious one). Okay, you're probably right.. but I'm still gonna reach inside and feel around though.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclub™ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)