The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Got time to breathe, got time for music." --Briscoe Darling.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
String Gauge and Bridge Tension Load..

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Member Communities -> Bottom Feeding Luthiery GuildMessage format

Love O Fair
Posted 2016-05-02 4:01 AM (#524981)
Subject: String Gauge and Bridge Tension Load..

Well, I took y'all's advice on not messing with the truss rod.. and all is fine.. thank you.. so here I am again with yet another question as I tip-toe through my genesis of Guitar Physics 101.

The guitar in point is a 35-year-old Custom Balladeer, but I guess my question would apply to all guitars, Ovation or otherwise. Does a heavier gauge string put THAT much more tension load on the bridge than light gauge stings? For most of this CB's life it has had Adamas lights (1818s), and once I ran out of those I switched to D'Addario EXP 16 lights (12-53). I knock on wood when I say this, but for that old of a guitar there is virtually no rise in the top behind the bridge and zero lifting on the bridge itself (occurrences that I understand can be somewhat common in that era and model), so I feel I have lucked out on that.. but.. I really would like to install a set of medium gauge strings and possibly keep that gauge for an extended time. Am I inviting problems?

Advanced thanks for your opinions.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Old Man Arthur
Posted 2016-05-02 5:03 AM (#524982 - in reply to #524981)
Subject: Re: String Gauge and Bridge Tension Load..

This is a string tension chart for Martin strings, but the principle is the same for all brands.
https://www.martinguitar.com/strings/acoustic/
You will notice that the tension difference between "Extra Light" and "Light" is about 30 pounds.
Then, between "Light" and "Medium" is about another 20 pounds.
This is why you often need to adjust the Truss Rod when changing string gauges or brands.
There is also a difference between string materials.

This is why I use "Silk-n-Steel" or "Silk-n-Phosphor" on my old (weaker) guitars.
Hope this helps.
Love O Fair
Posted 2016-05-02 6:22 AM (#524983 - in reply to #524982)
Subject: Re: String Gauge and Bridge Tension Load..

Thanks for the link, Arthur. Yes, very useful info. Based on the Martin chart, I am computing roughly 13% more load between Light and Medium, which I would think to apply pretty much about the same across all brands with the same general string thicknesses. So to go upward to medium I would essentially be hanging, for instance, an extra Thanksgiving turkey on my bridge. I'm thinking..... no. I would not have thought it to be that much more tension and would rather buy somebody's $175 used Celebrity to conduct this experiment in personal gauge preference than to try it on a beloved family member. Thank you again for the info!! Glad I asked!!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)