The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "I've always felt that blues, rock 'n' roll and country are just about a beat apart."-Waylon Jennings

Jump to page : 123
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
1990 Ovation Elite for Sale.

View previous thread :: View next thread
   The Ovation Fan Club -> For SaleMessage format

Mike S.
Posted 2016-04-24 5:11 PM (#524808)
Subject: 1990 Ovation Elite for Sale.

Hi, Everyone,
I'm taking the pliunge and putting my vintage 1990 Ovation Elite 1768-4 Deep Bowl Cutaway, w/OHSC, up for sale. The OHSC is showing its age, but it has protected the guitar very well, as it should. (Mean ol' me, I like my case candy, so I'm keepin' that. It will be a challenge getting the case key off my key ring, though!) This guitar has been recently appraised at more than $850.00 CAN. I'm posting it on social media here in CANADA also. I'm not sure what a good American asking price would be, because this is a work in progress, and I don't have a digital camera to show any photos, as of yet. OMA has given me some very helpful suggestions on that. The OFC family always supports one another, which is way cool in my book. I've never posted anyting for sale until now, so please bear in mind, I'm a newbie at this.
The guitar specs are on the Ovation website in the Archive section, obviously, but I'll mention some other details here.
1. It has a brown bowl, which I personally prefer, but might not appeal to some people.
2. I had an older style TRC put on it, just for decoration.
3. I had 1, (and only 1), saddle shim taken out, so the action is just slightly lower than factory setting.
4. The indiviual piezo saddles have been filed down. I don't know what my guitar tech was thinking at the time?! I found a new guitar tech after that.
5. There are 2 small finish cracks, and a bit of a bubble behind the brigde, but these cannot be seen by the naked eye. (They probabably won't be seen at all when you cover up your naked eye?!)
6. The top has aged very well, so it looks really good!
7. THE SOUND IS KILLER! I LIKE IT!
I hope this gets a reponse on OFC at some point. There are 2 possible buyers here in the Ottawa area already, but I'm not really savvy with the social media stuff. Am I doing this right so far?
Mike S.

Top of the page Bottom of the page
nerdydave
Posted 2016-04-24 10:07 PM (#524810 - in reply to #524808)
Subject: Re: 1990 Ovation Elite for Sale.

Gotta have a price and see pics.
Mike S.
Posted 2016-04-24 11:26 PM (#524811 - in reply to #524808)

Hi, nerdydave,
The price is as appraised, at $850.00 CAN. I'm not sure about the American price, so I'm open to any OFC suggestions. The pics are coming, at some point, in the not-too-distant fututure, as I don't have access to a digital camera.
Mike S.
Ottawa, ON., CANADA

Edited by Mike S. 2016-04-24 11:32 PM
Old Man Arthur
Posted 2016-04-25 12:26 AM (#524812 - in reply to #524808)

$850 Canada = $670 USA
http://www.x-rates.com/calculator/?from=CAD&to=USD&amount=850

But you still need photos.
Got a camera on your laptop? Make a YT video.
Mike S.
Posted 2016-04-25 2:32 PM (#524829 - in reply to #524812)

Hi, OMA,
Thank you for the information, and the suggestion. I DO, I DO have a camera on my laptop! The video thing just might work, but, knowing me, it won't be pretty. Is the American price fair, or should I lower it at some point? I am still trying to sell this guitar in CANADA first, naturally. I'm hoping to have pics up by this weekend.
Thanks again,
Mike S.
Old Man Arthur
Posted 2016-04-25 3:17 PM (#524831 - in reply to #524808)

Don't ask me about prices, I am a bottom-feeder. And of course, we still need to see photos.

If you want to save some money on shipping to the USA you could drive to Ogdensburg, NY. I bet that that have a Shipping spot there. UPS, USPS, FedEx.
Bring your own box, and you probably don't have to declare anything.
I know of another Canadian OFC'r who shipped through North Dakota, both ways.
Avoids those pesky customs delays.
2wheeldrummer
Posted 2016-04-25 7:18 PM (#524841 - in reply to #524829)

Mike S. - 2016-04-25 2:32 PM
Is the American price fair, or should I lower it at some point? I am still trying to sell this guitar in CANADA first, naturally. I'm hoping to have pics up by this weekend.
Thanks again,
Mike S.

Whats fair is subjective,what your willing to take vs what someone is willing to pay?
Deepbowl elites are great guitars so if your not in a hurry wait to get what you think its worth.
FYI the better the pics the more attention it will get IMHO.
Mike S.
Posted 2016-04-26 12:33 PM (#524863 - in reply to #524808)

Hi, Everyone,
No, I'm not in any real hurry to sell it. I do have a couple of possible buyers right here in Ottawa. It just got posted for sale on our local social media here today, so we shall see what happens. I'm still having problems dowloading pics for it here, too? I don't know why. I'll figure it out.
Mike S.

Edited by Mike S. 2016-04-26 12:36 PM
2wheeldrummer
Posted 2016-04-26 6:34 PM (#524876 - in reply to #524808)

There's a limit to the size you can upload,1K I believe so that might be your problem,check your pics and try resizing maybe?
Mike S.
Posted 2016-04-26 10:27 PM (#524882 - in reply to #524808)

Hi, 2wheeldrummer,
Thank you for the information. I'l try that and see. My laptop / browser is a real dinosaur, would you believe... Windows Vista Home Premium , so that's part of the problem, too, I think? I actually did get a phone call here in Ottawa about the guitar today, even without the pics, so stranger things have happened." All good things come to those who wait."
Mike S.
Old Man Arthur
Posted 2016-04-26 10:35 PM (#524883 - in reply to #524808)

Hey now... My other Laptop has Vista, as does my backup desktop "tower"...
The Laptop that I am typing-on right now is Windows 7.
New isn't always "better".

You could post a link to that "local social media" listing.

Edited by Old Man Arthur 2016-04-26 10:36 PM
nerdydave
Posted 2016-04-27 1:19 AM (#524888 - in reply to #524808)

But ya might as well try ta keep up with what is newer and "better"? Just gotta see where the human race is going (and it is not always in a good direction). But knowledge is power so ya might as well empower yourself?? Just a thought.
Mike S.
Posted 2016-04-27 4:09 PM (#524909 - in reply to #524883)

Hi, OMA,
Hey now, I'm NOT dissin' your stuff at all. Yours is working fine for you, which is great. Mine is not, and both me, and my sister with the digital camera don't know why? Bummer. So I 'll have to talk to my neice this weekend, and see if we can, "UNDO" whatever she did, so that I can finally get some pics up. As per your request, (which silly me totally forgot about, like, DUH!), here is the link to my ad:

http://www.kijiji.ca/h-ottawa/17
Ad ID 1159676523

Meanwhile, I shall try to figure the logistics for working with the webcam on this machine. I don't have too much space here in my office, and the webcam is just showing everything over my left shoulder? It's weirding me out, but I'll think of something. I shall have to be resourseful. Thanks again for all your help thus far.
Mike S.

Mike S.
Posted 2016-04-27 4:50 PM (#524911 - in reply to #524888)

Hi, nerdydave,
As one nerd to another, you are dealing with a guy who literally, along with several others, invented new stuff here in CANADA, with a company called The Neil Squire Foundation, based in Richmond,B.C. I worked with their regional office in Ottawa, to do R&D, which helped invent Dragon Talk Technology for Windows 95, yes, back in 1995, along with ergonomic keybords, mice, etc, because we were, and still are, building new technologies for people with disabilities, like... Stephen Hawking! He still uses the old stuff we first developed, and never changed it, and I don't know why. Yes, I do keep up with change, to a certain extent. That's why I started play Ovation guitars back in 1969. They were new/different, and hey, I thought I was a Canadian version of Glen Campell? Yikes! In 1978, flat back guitars were no longer working for me, because I had open heart surgery. When I played Ovations again, that was it, problem solved. I just recently bought a wireless trackball for my old laptop, and I don't know why I didn't do it sooner! So I'm a mixture of the old, and the new. "New isn't always better." Sometimes, yes, sometimes, no. Me, I like having choices. How's by you?
Mike S.
Old Man Arthur
Posted 2016-04-27 5:00 PM (#524912 - in reply to #524911)

Mike S. - 2016-04-27 2:50 PM

...we were, and still are, building new technologies for people with disabilities, like... Stephen Hawking!
He still uses the old stuff we first developed, and never changed it, and I don't know why.

Because he LIKES it.
He could get a more human-sounding voice synthesizer, but people recognize the voice of the machine that he has been using for decades.
That is HIS voice now.
d'ovation
Posted 2016-04-27 5:03 PM (#524913 - in reply to #524808)

Hi Mike, maybe it's time to give the old laptop the heave-ho rather than waste time struggling with it, life is to short to waste time on outdated technology. There are little lightweight machines out there running fast with SSD and Windows 10 that also have nice built in cameras. I just picked up an Acer branded one for US$ 220 at US Costco online. London Drugs has some nice looking ones for around Can$330. So it's not a big expense and you won't look back.

Edited by d'ovation 2016-04-27 5:08 PM
Mike S.
Posted 2016-04-28 2:30 AM (#524927 - in reply to #524913)

Hi,d'ovation,
Thank you for the information. I can literally ride on my scooter to STAPLES here, and maybe pick up a re-furbished Acer, or HP, and even Shoppers Drug Mart? is selling laptops now, so I have lots of choices. What I don't have is lots of loonies, and that's part of the reason I'm selling the Elite. I was really hoping to sell it, so that I eventually could buy a 1993 Ovation Collectors, that is now up for sale, right here in Ottawa, and the jury is still out on that guitar. It's become a waiting game. I'm also hoping the other guy blinks first.
MIke S.
Mike S.
Posted 2016-05-07 6:02 PM (#525061 - in reply to #524810)

Hi, nerdydave,
I just posted NEW PHOTOS of my guitar in the ALBUMS section! "Beauty, eh!?"
Mike S.
Mike S.
Posted 2016-05-07 8:35 PM (#525063 - in reply to #524883)

Hi, OMA,
I have an updated link to my guitar that is for sale, because I just today posted NEW PHOTOS of it on both the Kijiji/Ottawa site, and right here on OFC in the ALBUM section. The Canadian link is a big long thingy, so I opted for an album of my pics here as well. Arthur, your 1537 is THE BOMB!, now that it's back from The MotherShip, I must say! I must say also that I do not drive a car, and Massena, Potsdam, N.Y., are about 3 hours from Ottawa, as the crow flies, so any 'Muricans' that do cross the border have lot of driving to do from Montana; and they best not have any stuff hidden in their guitar cases like a Herco GuardFather, because mine was mistaken for a chunk of heroin at one time?! Yikes! Anyhow, the Ottawa posting will problably get more interest, but then again maybe not, because, "people here don't like Ovations." Al had it pegged right all along!
Mike S.
nerdydave
Posted 2016-05-07 8:53 PM (#525065 - in reply to #524808)

Hi Mike
Glad to hear that you are not a total luddite and that you have flirted with the outermost fringes of technology at points in the past. Best of luck with the guitar sale and with your continuing technological evolution! But what does open heart surgery have to do with not being able to use flat back guitars? Unless you are playing without a shirt and the staples are still in??
Mike S.
Posted 2016-05-07 8:59 PM (#525066 - in reply to #524913)

Hi, d'ovation,
Thank you for the advice about the computers. Suprisingly, just switching to a new browser, Chromium, was a big help, so I've used it to finally post my guitar photos right here, in the OFC ALBUM section. Unfortunately, as of now, I can't go looking for anything new, because my scooters' battery failed last night! I'm stuck here inside until next Monday morning, when the scooter technicians become available. I could order something from HP by phone, and have it delivered, as a last resort, but we are not there just yet. Did you ever sell your Adamas?
Mike S.
Old Man Arthur
Posted 2016-05-07 9:13 PM (#525067 - in reply to #524808)

Whole album HERE
Mike S.
Posted 2016-05-08 12:24 AM (#525068 - in reply to #525065)

Hi, nerdydave,
In answer to your questions, "Pretty much everything!" Because my open-heart surgery was 40 years ago, c. 1977, when they were still using a "rib-spreader". My 3rd rib from the top never fused right so, it just became a huge calcium deposit, like a 2nd Adams' Apple, right at the very top of my sternum. I'm, "phyically challenged", and I can only play guitar sitting down, so any flat back guitar I was using then, like my uncles' Gibson, or my teachers' Martin, was hitting this piece of bone all the time, and just sheer torture to play. Punch your hard and shiny coffee table a few times, and you'll get where I'm going with this. "Now, how's that workin' for ya?" Get it? Got it? Good. Like I said, when I played Ovations again, problem solved, and I never looked back. BTW, if you must know, yes, the staples are still in there, because they are basically what keeps my act together, so to speak. I'm a heavy metal kinda guy in more ways than one. Going through airport security is unbelievable. Playing without a shirt?? Are you kidding me? Seriously? C'mon, man! Do you really want to got here?! If so, you can go by yourself, because I'M NOT going there. EVER. I'm done now.
Mike S.

Love O Fair
Posted 2016-05-08 5:39 AM (#525070 - in reply to #524808)

@Mike S-- >>>My 3rd rib from the top never fused right so, it just became a huge calcium deposit<<<

Yep.. all have our own, personal reasons for owning and playing Ovation guitars. Personally, I think the core "Ovation philosophy" is one of the best parts of us since our nexus has elements that often stand quite widely apart (though sometimes obtuse) from all the others..and, through it all, we still sound good. Excellent, actually. Anyway, I must say that yours is one of the more uniquely defined reasons I've ever come across. Makes perfect sense though.
Nancy
Posted 2016-05-08 9:52 AM (#525072 - in reply to #525068)

Mike S. - 2016-05-08 12:24 AM

Hi, nerdydave,
In answer to your questions, "Pretty much everything!" Because my open-heart surgery was 40 years ago, c. 1977, when they were still using a "rib-spreader". My 3rd rib from the top never fused right so, it just became a huge calcium deposit, like a 2nd Adams' Apple, right at the very top of my sternum. I'm, "phyically challenged", and I can only play guitar sitting down, so any flat back guitar I was using then, like my uncles' Gibson, or my teachers' Martin, was hitting this piece of bone all the time, and just sheer torture to play.

Hi Mike!

I think NerdyDave asks you out of genuine concern, he works in the medical field, and was truly interested. I myself cannot play a flat back guitar because of a botched mastectomy, and the flat backs are very painful, so I completely understand also! And No, I won't take my shirt off either! (not a pretty sight! LOL!! )
Jump to page : 1 2 3
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)