The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Got time to breathe, got time for music." --Briscoe Darling.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Deep contour body

View previous thread :: View next thread
   The Ovation Fan Club -> Welcome CenterMessage format

WaltCL
Posted 2010-11-22 6:35 AM (#2561)
Subject: Deep contour body

I've been seeing photos on the web sites of the Ovations with the deep contour body. Part of it is reduced in size to make it more comfortable. I've only played the standard shallow and mid-deph bowls. I've never even played a large bowl. m m I've seen photos on a few web sights of the newer "deep contour body" LX series Ovations. I've only played the standard shallow and mid- depth bowls. Can someone give me a comparison of the regular and large bowl Ovations to the newer LX series, that feature the "deep contour body". I'm interested in hearing how much of a differance it makes and how they feel. Also does anyone know what the "GS" stands for in Ovation's newer "lyrachord GS body". Thank you for your help. Walt
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Gallerinski
Posted 2010-11-22 7:58 AM (#2562 - in reply to #2561)
Subject: Re: Deep contour body

The cavity size of Contour Bowl and Deep Bowl are pretty much identical. You would have a hard time hearing any difference between. The difference is in the shape and comfort factor. The Contour Bowl allows the guitar to be held in a much more natural position, similar to a wooden guitar (ie face of guitar perpenticular to the ground), and not slip off your knee when playing seated.

I believe GS stands for Glass Sphere
WaltCL
Posted 2010-11-22 10:50 AM (#2563 - in reply to #2561)

Thank you Gallerinski. I am a new member to this board and you seem very knowledable. I just ordered a new 2010 Custom Legend 2079LX and I know it has the "Contour Bowl". If anyone else out there would like to tell me their experience or opinion of the "Deep Contour Bowl", as far as both sound and comfort in playing, I would appreciate it.
stonebobbo
Posted 2010-11-22 1:31 PM (#2564 - in reply to #2561)

Welcome to the board, Walt. Congrats on getting a great new guitar. I'm a fan of the Contour bowl ... I wouldn't buy a new Ovation without it. Like Galski said, all the sound of a deep bowl in a comfortable package.
Mark in Boise
Posted 2010-11-22 2:57 PM (#2565 - in reply to #2561)

Gallerinski is very knowledgeable, but only in one of his many personnas. I always thought the deep bowls were more comfortable and never slipped off your knee. When they came out with the Contour Bowl in 2005, I thought it was a violation of the maxim, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it." As I've become potbellied, I've grown to understand why they developed the Contour Bowl. If you have a gut, the deep bowl will probably fit like this )( and the contour bowl will fit your contour. If your chest is bigger than your waist, you may find it less comfortable, but probably no more uncomfortable than a flat backed guitar.
As far as sound, the contour will sound better than the mid or shallow bowls and about the same as the deep bowl.
G8r
Posted 2010-11-22 4:02 PM (#2566 - in reply to #2561)

Please don't compliment G-ski; his head's already too big.

I have guitars with the traditional deep bowl and others with the contour bowl. I can't really compare the sound among them since I'd be comparing radically different guitars (Adamas vs. wood-top; cutaway vs. full body; Elite vs. traditional soundhole). From others I've played/heard, I can say the contour bowl will be just as loud and full-sounding as a traditional deep bowl, and will be more comfortable both seated and standing up, especially if you are used to a traditional wood guitar.
Gallerinski
Posted 2010-11-22 4:13 PM (#2567 - in reply to #2561)

Btw, there is only ONE Contour Bowl. Some places they call it the Contour Bowl and other places you see it called Deep Contour Bowl. Exactly the same bowl
Mark in Boise
Posted 2010-11-22 4:48 PM (#2568 - in reply to #2561)

BTW G8r, if you thought that was a compliment, you must not get many.
I was trying to say that Dave is full of crap about the Ovations sliding off your knee. He's not grown up enough to handle a big boy guitar, so he has to use ukeleles.
Better?
Old Man Arthur
Posted 2010-11-22 5:22 PM (#2569 - in reply to #2561)

Contour Bowls were designed to fill a need in America... A bowl for Fat People.

When I first got one, I didn't really like it.
I felt like I was looking over the upper lip of the body to see what I was doing.
But over time I have grown accustomed to it.
People who usually play "normal" shaped wood-box guitars may find the contour more to their liking.
I still find it weird since I cannot see the face of the guitar and the neck while playing.
I had grown used to playing a mid-depth with the guitar facing-up towards me.
But now I like the contour bowl, but I prefer playing in the seated position.
WaltCL
Posted 2010-11-22 5:37 PM (#2570 - in reply to #2561)

Thank you guys for your replies. I couldn't find much information, other then discription, on the Contour Bowl "based on actual experiance" looking around on the internet. I guess that is why there are forums like this.
TAFKAR
Posted 2010-11-22 5:55 PM (#2571 - in reply to #2561)

Hi Walt, ditto to the comments above (I have a deep bowl Adamas, a contour bowl Adamas, and previously had a mid bowl).

If you play standing, you may need to fiddle with the strap length to find the ideal position with the contour bowl. When sitting, the contour bowl is very comfortable (and I only have a mid-size tummy), although some really bony people find it uncomfortable.

Both deep bowl and contour are way better than the mid bowl.
AstroDan
Posted 2010-11-22 5:56 PM (#2572 - in reply to #2561)

You will love that new guitar! The Custom Legend is a GREAT 1st Ovation, IMHO. My 1st was a Custom Elite (very similar except it has multiple soundholes and the CL has the center hole.) and I couldn't be happier or more satisfied. It gets better every time I play it! The contour bowl fits my skinny belly nicely and sounds much larger than my 778LX mid bowl. Plugged in, they all sound huge.
WaltCL
Posted 2010-11-22 8:48 PM (#2573 - in reply to #2561)

Thanks guys, I was afraid of getting a deep bowl. So the Contour bowl seemed like a nice compromise. I also wasn't sure how it would sound. I thought maybe somewhere between a mid-bowl and deep bowl. I'm getting the idea it is very close to a deep bowl sound. I'm even more excited now.
mbedard
Posted 2010-12-21 3:12 PM (#2574 - in reply to #2561)

I've had my Elite 6768 deep bowl for about 18 years now, and I will admit it was a little awkward to hold at first until I got used to it, but now I don't even notice. I only think about it when one of my friends picks it up and says "Man, this thing is hard to hold on your lap!" However, this statement is usually followed by "Wow! This thing has a lot of bass and body to it for an Ovation!" so the hassle is worth the benefit I guess...

Sorry, can't comment on the contour bowl, although if all goes according to plan I may be able to after Christmas! ;)
Jargon
Posted 2011-01-17 10:01 AM (#2575 - in reply to #2561)

I own a contour-bowl Ovation 2005 Collectors' Edition, and a shallow-bowl Ovation Celebrity. I've also spent a lot of time playing a deep-bowl Ovation Applause. I like the contour bowl the most. It retains the loudness of the deep bowl but feels more stable both when I'm seated and when I'm standing. I'm six feet tall and not potbellied. The contour bowl fits me well.
wilblee
Posted 2011-01-17 11:48 AM (#2576 - in reply to #2561)

I've played every bowl size and shape that Ovation makes, and while I won't say that I would never buy an O without a contour bowl, it's definitely my strong preference. The contour bowl, the GS formulation and the OP-Pro line of preamps (especially the OP-Pro Studio) are all excellent innovations from Ovation, IMO, and personally I appreciate them very much.

Let me also add my congratulations on your new guitar. That's an excellent model that I'm sure you're gonna love.

Welcome to the forum.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)