The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "I've always felt that blues, rock 'n' roll and country are just about a beat apart."-Waylon Jennings

Jump to page : 123456
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Get your affairs in order

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Members Forums -> General PostingMessage format

CanterburyStrings
Posted 2016-03-04 3:16 PM (#522685)
Subject: Get your affairs in order

That's what the doctor told me yesterday. Turns out I have terminal cancer. They won't give me a timeline but they did say it is "very advanced" so I'm guessing it might be weeks, maybe months if I'm lucky.

So anyway, you know how sometimes someone on an internet forum suddenly disappears and you wonder what happened to them? Well I didn't want you to wonder. And I wanted to thank you all for the good times. I've met many of you in person and had long phone or email conversations with others. I consider you all my friends. It's been a lot of fun.

I'm truly OK with this. I think no one on earth has ever lived a happier life than I have. 61 glorious years of family, friends, music, and just plain fun. And I have faith in my Lord so I know where I'm going when I leave here. It's all good and I am truly happy and at peace.

Jarrett is going to take over the shop so please, if you're ever in South Dakota, stop by and see him. You can tell funny stories about me.

So, I will check back on this thread to thank you for your condolences, but for the most part I'm just going to lay low. You don't need a blow-by-blow account of my "progress" in this thing and I won't give one. If the spelling gets a little rough it's because of the pain meds (Gotta love those pain meds!) And honestly, I'm doing fine psychologically and emotionally so please don't worry about me.

OK, I guess that's it for now. Love you all...
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Mr. Ovation
Posted 2016-03-04 3:21 PM (#522686 - in reply to #522685)
Subject: Re: Get your affairs in order

Well Cancer Sucks!!... I just wanted to put that out there.
d'ovation
Posted 2016-03-04 3:28 PM (#522688 - in reply to #522685)

Canterbury, we have never met but I always enjoyed reading your insightful posts. I hope your battle will go as well as it can possibly go.
Beal
Posted 2016-03-04 3:46 PM (#522689 - in reply to #522685)

We will write songs about you in your honor. You are handling this with class. Just like Glen Campbell. We love you.
DanSavage
Posted 2016-03-04 3:55 PM (#522690 - in reply to #522685)

Alison,

It was a real pleasure to meet you and play together in your shop last year.

Dan
ProfessorBB
Posted 2016-03-04 3:59 PM (#522691 - in reply to #522685)

So glad we have our Rocky Racoon get-together memories from a few years ago. My prayers are with you, Alison.
ksdaddy
Posted 2016-03-04 4:41 PM (#522692 - in reply to #522685)

We've never met but I've very much appreciated your stories about the Moosup factory. Having lost my first wife in 2011 to cancer I have a feeling for those around you. They...they KNOW what's happening but if they're like me, there was a lot of denial. Start giving stuff away now so you'll know it gets to the right person. And please don't make the mistake Tammie made...she didn't tell me what happened to her wedding ring. Did it get lost? Stolen? Hidden? Swapped for a gram of weed? Please don't hold anything back with them. By the time they think of the questions it will be too late. Keep the meds flowing but also the tape recorder...or camcorder...or camera. They will wish they had more. Tell them firsthand from me, DO NOT WASTE ONE SECOND. SHE'S NOT GOING AWAY ON VACATION. Spend every waking minute with her if you can. Tell them I said so.
Jonmark Stone
Posted 2016-03-04 4:49 PM (#522693 - in reply to #522685)

I second what Bill posted. Class.
Damon67
Posted 2016-03-04 5:00 PM (#522694 - in reply to #522685)

Alison, you're one of the nicest people I know. I never have made it out to thank you properly for the coffee, it really blew my mind that you would do something like that. We were planning our drive to Kansas next year with a stop over in Hot Springs to see you.

I still will, either way.

Peace & Love
Damon
Mario
Posted 2016-03-04 5:08 PM (#522695 - in reply to #522685)
Subject: RE: Get your affairs in order

All the best to you on your on-going battle/fight. Your strength is inspirational.
Nancy
Posted 2016-03-04 5:27 PM (#522697 - in reply to #522694)

So this is what it feels like to be gut-punched...

Alison, you have been like a Sister here for me, you are Family. You made me feel welcome, and were the first one to tease with me! You are like that Sister that I adore and strive to be like, intelligent, fun, easy to love and be around, even though you know you will never be what she is, you are so Proud of her Spirit, Wisdom and Independence.

If you want to talk, you have my email, send me your phone number, and we can talk anytime. We all hope that we made a difference, that we made someone's life a little bit better, you are lucky in that you will never have to wonder that. You know that you made that difference, in so many ways, and so many times, in so many lives.

I Love you Lady, and want to Thank You for the pleasure and joy that you brought to my Life!

Edited by Nancy 2016-03-04 5:36 PM
CanterburyStrings
Posted 2016-03-04 5:33 PM (#522698 - in reply to #522685)

See how great this is? All of you wonderful people saying all those wonderful things about me! I feel like Huck Finn when he stood in the balcony for his own funeral.

Seriously though, thank you all for the kind words. Great big hugs to all of you.
Nancy
Posted 2016-03-04 5:56 PM (#522699 - in reply to #522698)

CanterburyStrings - 2016-03-04 5:33 PM

See how great this is? All of you wonderful people saying all those wonderful things about me! I feel like Huck Finn when he stood in the balcony for his own funeral.

Seriously though, thank you all for the kind words. Great big hugs to all of you.

You are Wonderful Alison! Thank You for allowing us to say Goodbye to you, so many times, we wished we had just had the opportunity to tell someone how much they meant to us, and we didn't have it. Even now you show your strength, love, and selflessness, by granting us the rare opportunity to share with you now, so that we don't have those regrets later. You are incredibly Incredibly Rare, and Incredibly Brave, Thank You! <3 <3 <3
Beal
Posted 2016-03-04 6:06 PM (#522700 - in reply to #522685)

Even though I haven't seen you in 34 years......

Here's To You

Had a good friend turn into a ghost
And another had a stroke out in the coast
And what I really miss the most
Is not having them here for this toast

There are friendships that span eternal time
They last forever they never loose their line
No matter how twisted the road may wind
So let's raise this glass of wine

Here's to you
You are a friend of mine
Here's to you
Throughout eternal time
Here's to you
We've been all down that line
Here's to you
For making it a good time

Enjoy every sandwich Warren Zevon said
These words have always stuck in my head
Life is hard you can sleep when you're dead
Take heed and do what he says

Here's to you
You are a friend of mine
Here's to you
Throughout eternal time
Here's to you
We've been all down that line
Here's to you
For making it a good time

There are friends we cherish so much
Some how we fall apart through life's crunch
It's a shame, friendship means so much
So reach out and stay in touch

Here's to you
You are a friend of mine
Here's to you
Throughout eternal time
Here's to you
We've all been down that line
Here's to you
For makin it a good time

Edited by Beal 2016-03-04 6:12 PM
Weaser P
Posted 2016-03-04 6:37 PM (#522701 - in reply to #522685)

Allison, you made the OFC a better place for being a part of it and we will all remember that. You will be missed and never forgotten by your many friends here. God speed.
Cavalier
Posted 2016-03-04 6:47 PM (#522702 - in reply to #522685)

On to the next gig.... wish we had time to meet. Music helps, I played my mom on to her journey with my cello a few years ago, that I couldn't pick it up again for a couple is my fault. We did the home hospice thing with family, it was a better way to maximize the time. Bodies wear out but souls play on so take your chops with you!
Patch
Posted 2016-03-04 7:59 PM (#522706 - in reply to #522685)
Subject: RE: Get your affairs in order

I've always enjoyed our conversations, spoken and written, Alison. Be asssured of my prayers and my admiration for leaning on your faith. People keep saying you have class, but I'm not sure that's a good enough word. I don't know if there is a good enough word for people like you.

When you get where you're going, keep an eye on us every once in a while. We will surely be thinking of you.

Old Man Arthur
Posted 2016-03-04 8:36 PM (#522707 - in reply to #522685)

Aw... Alison. I never made it out to South Dakota.
Stay strong and Comfortable. That's what Pharmaceuticals are for.
Stop by here anyway. See ya' on the Other Side.
Mike S.
Posted 2016-03-04 8:56 PM (#522708 - in reply to #522706)

Hi, Alison,
I started to read your post, and immediately, I just broke down. I couldn't finish. This hits really too close to home for me. I have lost a grandmother (my Mom's mom) to cancer in 1974, an aunt to cancer in November 2015, and my older brother to cancer in 2011. Playing his favourite hymn at the funeral in 2011 was one of the most difficult things that I have ever done. My dear Mom, and her sisters have all been diagnosed as being pre-disposed to the breast cancer gene, through her late Mom. The one bright spot was/ is my cousin, who was diagnosed with ovarian cancer in 1981, at age 20. Our local church prayed for her, and she was healed, and became the mother of 2 children. Do not lose hope, keep the faith, and love as you have always done. My prayers are with you, Alison.
Mike Seguin,
Ottawa, Ontario, CANADA
360Ovation
Posted 2016-03-04 8:58 PM (#522709 - in reply to #522685)

Your shop is in Hot Springs? My wife is from Chadron, NE, just south of there, so I'm up in that neck of the woods (and Rapid), usually once a year. Something tells me I've been in your shop, maybe even bought some strings and eyed some O's on the wall. Are you just down the hill/road from the old VA Hospital?

Best wishes and prayers for your faith to stay strong. May God's grace hold you and keep you.

Mike
nerdydave
Posted 2016-03-04 11:19 PM (#522710 - in reply to #522685)

Whoa!! Not your average everyday post!! Like so many here I enjoyed what you had to offer this community -- your stories of the past and your expertise regarding guitars and Ovations in particular. Wishing you the best. I know you will treasure the time you have remaining to you!
Mark in Boise
Posted 2016-03-04 11:49 PM (#522711 - in reply to #522685)

Alison, I love you. I don't know what else to say. The trip out to your shop was one of the highlights of my travels. I have wanted to go back since. A good life that blessed others. Thank you for sharing yours.
Tony Calman
Posted 2016-03-05 1:33 AM (#522713 - in reply to #522685)

Alison, we never met although I called your store and talked to you many years ago to see if you sold and could ship strings. I figured that I would rather buy them from someone like you that had a store and was on the OFC.

You brought an energy to this site as I am sure you did (and do) to everyone around you.

When Nancy came on to the OFC I suggested that she should contact you...it was good to see that you and Nancy were able to become friends.

I have no advice to give you. I just want you to know that I value the time that you shared with us.
Tony
Slipkid
Posted 2016-03-05 2:02 AM (#522714 - in reply to #522713)

I'll always remember our little surprise visit

nerdydave
Posted 2016-03-05 8:34 AM (#522715 - in reply to #522685)

Great pic!!
Jump to page : 1 2 3 4 5 6
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)