The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: “Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and charm and gaiety to life and to everything.” -Plato

Jump to page : 12
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
... and I can change a flat tire too.

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Members Forums -> General PostingMessage format

Beal
Posted 2016-02-18 9:40 AM (#522315 - in reply to #522260)
Subject: Re: ... and I can change a flat tire too.

Mr Ovation, it is just the take over of the millennials and the other liberals. Guitars should come tuned and if the go out of tune there obviously is a manufacturing defect for which they should be compensated. Further more strings should not go dead or break, if they do, again a manufacturing defect. They are musicians and can play all the Twatler Swit songs almost correctly, and would play more gigs but refuse to play at places that won't hire them. They have no need to tune, change strings, or work of their guitars, they shouldn't have to, it should be done for them, they are the new breed taking over the world. (Oh sorry, for a moment there I thought I was back on facebook responding to one sided dribble)

Now speaking to the older dinosaurs, everyone should know how to change strings, tweek and clean and of course tune, it's all part of playing. Like Nancy said, its a chance to spend time with your instrument and make it perfect for you. Part of learning how to play is learning how to do all this stuff. Nothing wrong with helping them get there, like Alison does.

So the lead singer comes to practice and finds the band in a fight. He says what's wrong? The drummer says the guitar player detuned two of the bass players strings and Mr Bass is pissed and won't play that night. The singer says, so what's the problem? Mr Bass says, he wouldn't tell me which two strings he detuned.

Edited by Beal 2016-02-18 9:43 AM
Top of the page Bottom of the page
d'ovation
Posted 2016-02-18 10:29 AM (#522321 - in reply to #522260)

Didn't Gibson install auto-tuners in all their guitars in the last year or so by default?
Beal
Posted 2016-02-18 10:41 AM (#522322 - in reply to #522260)

That's why they appeal to the millenials, it is supposed to tune itself and they can't tell that it doesn't work.
Nancy
Posted 2016-02-18 11:16 AM (#522323 - in reply to #522315)

Beal - 2016-02-18 9:40 AM

Guitars should come tuned and if the go out of tune there obviously is a manufacturing defect for which they should be compensated. Further more strings should not go dead or break, if they do, again a manufacturing defect.

LOL!!!!! And compensated for the lifetime of trauma and as-of-yet-unnamed-mental-condtions, that the defect caused them...

BCam
Posted 2016-02-18 11:17 AM (#522324 - in reply to #522260)

When I was in college, we'd just ask someone whose guitar seemed to be in tune, to give us an "A" and go from there. We never knew whether it was really an A or not. I've always wondered if, by tuning our strings to each other at the 5th/4th frets, we got better relative or average intonation than by tuning each string to a specific frequency using a tuner.
Cavalier
Posted 2016-02-18 11:26 AM (#522325 - in reply to #522260)

Maybe the warranty on those is invalidated if they change their own strings, it could get ugly on auto pilot with the wrong wrap.

I have good ear, some music I play doesn't use tempered tuning, the eastern stuff can go into quarter tones but for strings playing in tune means you have to be able to hear. If I lose myself in the mix there are no frets for a visual though your hands remember about where to be- "about". Like wise if I'm not warmed up it requires care not to pull out of tune till I limber up. Tuning wise I'm pretty used to 440 on everything. I've seen there are current trends to change the old reference at times but it seems more of a fad.
Mr. Ovation
Posted 2016-02-18 11:52 AM (#522327 - in reply to #522260)

I wonder if David Gilmour got his style of bending nearly every note because he was just too lazy to tune so he just bends up or drops in (start with it bent and back off) until it's on the note.
Mark in Boise
Posted 2016-02-18 12:03 PM (#522328 - in reply to #522260)

Miles' post about tuning to 90s music made me feel old. Fortunately, Beal's rant made me feel a little younger. I learned guitar on a Univox in about 1972. The strings were way off the neck. It was a bolt on, so I did what any kid would do, took it apart. I shimmed it and got the neck into a very playable condition, then sold it for 5 times what I paid for it so I could get my first Ovation. I never heard the term "neck reset" before I started reading the OFC.
I learned most of my songs off an album or a reel to reel and tuned my guitar to a pitch pipe. I guess even 20 years later the recordings weren't tuned to 440. I also used the variable speed on the turntable, but for the reel to reel, I just learned barre chords and would move them around until I got them to the same chords as on the recording. I always wondered why they chose such odd keys. Sometimes it was that the whole band was tuned up or down a step, but I think a lot of them tuned down so they could sing the high notes.
Beal
Posted 2016-02-18 12:04 PM (#522329 - in reply to #522260)

No Miles, Gilmore started as a fretless bass player

Edited by Beal 2016-02-18 12:05 PM
360Ovation
Posted 2016-02-18 12:09 PM (#522330 - in reply to #522322)

Beal - 2016-02-18 10:41 AM

That's why they appeal to the millenials, it is supposed to tune itself and they can't tell that it doesn't work.

HAR!!! And look how that worked out for Gibson! One (year) and done! Now stores are trying to figure out how to get rid of those Frankensteins (no offense, Frank...). I guess most of the millennial are still playing on their i-pad's rather than an instrument with real strings. (I know this isn't true - my sons [ages 24 & 25] are musicians, and they play real instruments ... real loud, too!)

I got my first guitar when I was 13. My dad took me to a little shop somewhere in downtown Madrid, and I came home with a cheap classical guitar to learn on. Being left-handed, I realized pretty quickly that I was going to be flipping the guitar. So immediately I pulled all the strings off and reversed them (retied on the block behind the saddle), and tuned it up, probably with one of those pitch-pipes. I guess some of us don't know what we don't know...

Pretty soon I was strumming away on my first A and Em chords...
Cavalier
Posted 2016-02-18 12:27 PM (#522332 - in reply to #522327)

Mr. Ovation - 2016-02-18 9:52 AM

I wonder if David Gilmour got his style of bending nearly every note because he was just too lazy to tune so he just bends up or drops in (start with it bent and back off) until it's on the note.

His fan club says, "Before you criticize a style you should get some."
Damon67
Posted 2016-02-18 1:10 PM (#522333 - in reply to #522330)

360Ovation - 2016-02-18 10:09 AM
Beal - 2016-02-18 10:41 AM That's why they appeal to the millenials, it is supposed to tune itself and they can't tell that it doesn't work.
HAR!!! And look how that worked out for Gibson! One (year) and done! Now stores are trying to figure out how to get rid of those Frankensteins (no offense, Frank...). I guess most of the millennial are still playing on their i-pad's rather than an instrument with real strings. (I know this isn't true - my sons [ages 24 & 25] are musicians, and they play real instruments ... real loud, too!)

I used to be a big fan of Jim Decola. That was until I saw him trying to justify what they did to the Gibson USA Les Pauls. His reasoning was that if you wanted a regular Les Paul of days gone by, you buy from the Custom shop. Gibson USA is all about innovation.

Talk about spew.

They fuckedup the entire line.

Beal
Posted 2016-02-18 1:14 PM (#522334 - in reply to #522260)

Got that right
Mr. Ovation
Posted 2016-02-18 6:07 PM (#522341 - in reply to #522332)

Cavalier - 2016-02-18 10:27 AM

Mr. Ovation - 2016-02-18 9:52 AM

His fan club says, "Before you criticize a style you should get some."

LOL... that's a good line. I'm a huge Gilmour fan, but I can't play anything like him. I used to think it was his tone, but I saw an interview where he explained his style.. He really does bend or slack into just about every note.
Cavalier
Posted 2016-02-18 6:36 PM (#522342 - in reply to #522260)

Geez Miles, now you're calling him a slacker !?
We should give David a special honorary mention because he still uses his Ovation. Speaking of so does Steve Hackett.
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclub™ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)