The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: “Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and charm and gaiety to life and to everything.” -Plato

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Some More Koala Recordings

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2007Message format

Omaha
Posted 2007-11-08 11:41 AM (#75387)
Subject: Some More Koala Recordings

Thanks to my ever so nifty Zoom H2 portable recorder, I am on something of a recording binge.

These were all recorded with my Koala. No amps, no effects, nothing. Just the Zoom sitting in front of the guitar. One thing I haven't figured out is how to create an mp3 without having the sound suck, so I'm also including WAV's that sound a ton better.

First, here is a number I've been working on with limited success for two years. I can't decide if its worth keeping...I just don't think its in my comfort zone.

El Choclo (compact MP3 file)
El Choclo (really big WAV file)

My wife never ceases to surprise me. The other day she said she wanted me to sing her an Elvis song. Wow. I've never done any Elvis, other than Mean Woman Blues, which I did with the Heat Seekers. So, here's my first ever shot at Love Me Tender

Love Me Tender (compact MP3 file)
Love Me Tender (big WAV file)

Here's a Tom Petty song we've done in the past. I really don't like the way it came out. I've never been able to sing TP stuff and make it sound right, and this format (no vocal effects, no reverb, no nothing) really exposes your weaknesses. If you hear me laughing, its because my six year old daughter was dancing along and being goofy.

Yer So Bad (compact MP3)
Yer So Bad (big WAV file)

I grew up listening to my mom's Peter, Paul and Mary records on our old console stereo. She just had an operation (its all good...nothing serious or life threatening), so this one's for you, Mom.

Long Chain On (compact MP3 file)
Long Chain On (big WAV file)

Anyway, thought you'd like hearing the Koala at work.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
LBJ
Posted 2007-11-08 2:09 PM (#75388 - in reply to #75387)
Subject: Re: Some More Koala Recordings

nice. i like Long Chain On most.
On Love me Tender i have weird feeling like your B string was slightly out of tune. But i might be wrong, i'm deadly tired.
Omaha
Posted 2007-11-08 2:13 PM (#75389 - in reply to #75387)

Originally posted by LBJ:
nice. i like Long Chain On most.
On Love me Tender i have weird feeling like your B string was slightly out of tune. But i might be wrong, i'm deadly tired.
You are exactly right! Its funny, if you listen to the recording before I started the song, you'll here me start and stop five times, grumbling about the tuning each time. I ended up deciding that with the thoroughly shagged out strings I have on that, it was as good as it was going to get! :-)
colt357
Posted 2007-11-08 3:39 PM (#75390 - in reply to #75387)

Jeff, those sound great.
I'm curious if you checked out the Boss Micro BR and if so, what moved you to the Zoom?
Omaha
Posted 2007-11-08 3:59 PM (#75391 - in reply to #75387)

Yeah, I did.

I went with the Zoom because (a) it looked cooler (no kidding) and (b) it seemed a lot simpler.

I am totally not into this stuff. I read the specs and have no idea what they are saying.

From what I can tell, the Zoom is more about being a self-contained recorder, with four built in mics and automatic surround sound recording, etc. The Boss is more like a mini studio mixer, with four channels but not much for mics.

What I like with the Zoom is that I just turn it on, push the button, and I get a really great stereo recording just that easy. Its super easy to use.

Here's a couple more recordings I tore off:

Summer Breeze

Funny How Time Slips Away
mtnbikerfred
Posted 2007-11-08 5:12 PM (#75392 - in reply to #75387)

Nice work Jeff!! The Zoom is a fine little portable recorder. Load the thing up with 4gb of SD media and go for it at the highest quality setting. 2 hours is plenty of recording for a portable device at 96khz

I let a guy from church borrow mine with chowed strings on it to record with. He loved the sound of the top without the bling of new strings....
colt357
Posted 2007-11-09 12:47 AM (#75393 - in reply to #75387)

I agree, nice work, Jeff.

I'm trying to determine just where I want to go with this. Probably the same place you were.

I'm thinking I may be looking for more than the zoom does, though. I'd like to be able to mix some tracks so my son and I can try some different things. We both play guitar and bass, although he is waay beyond what I can do. Plus we both sing. The Micro BR or perhaps even the BR 600 may be a better fit for us.

I sure like the simplicity of the Zoom though. Although variaty is the spice of life. it's sure a pain in the A$$ sometimes! :)

Anyway, what you are able to do is sure impressive. Keep 'em comin'.

Dave
Omaha
Posted 2007-11-12 12:15 PM (#75394 - in reply to #75387)

Ok, here's a few more.

Some friends were playing out on Saturday. Here's a recording of a bar band playing at full (and I mean FULL) volume. The Zoom was just placed on a table near the back of the bar.

Dani California MP3 file
American Idiot MP3 file

Here's one I tore off this morning. I was searching You Tube, looking for the video of Tommy Emmanuel playing Somewhere of the Rainbow. In the process, I stumbled onto the Israel Kamakawiwo Ole version, which I thought was really awesome. Here is my first shot at covering that. Makes me wish I had a ukulele! (This one is pure acoustic...no amps or effects).

Somewhere Over The Rainbow/What A Wonderful World MP3 file

Here's one that's more about the Vocalist Live 4 than the Zoom. I am trying to figure out the best settings for Lying Eyes. I haven't found them yet, but I'm getting closer. This recording is pretty much a train wreck (I had some reverb on the guitar that really didn't work, I had the harmony levels up too high, and I lost my place a couple of times), but you can get a feel for the VL4.

Lying Eyes MP3 file
lanaki
Posted 2007-11-12 12:44 PM (#75395 - in reply to #75387)

well jeff, it's still breakfast time here in hawaii, but as i listened to "el choclo" i began craving mexican dinner. nice work.
gulfcoast
Posted 2007-11-12 12:49 PM (#75396 - in reply to #75387)

"Summer Breeze" very nice...
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclub™ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)