The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now." - Jol Dantzig

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
I've started building a kit guitar

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Member Communities -> Bottom Feeding Luthiery GuildMessage format

muzza
Posted 2016-02-06 6:06 PM (#521966)
Subject: I've started building a kit guitar

Thought you may be interested in following my progress, or lack of...

http://www.buildyourownguitar.com.au/forum/showthread.php?t=4937

My eventual aim is to build one from scratch. I feel confident I'd be able to build a guitar body from scratch, do a good job on the finish, put it all together, do the electonics and do a good 'setup', but I'm not willing to put the time in to create a neck - too much effort for something so critical.  There are lots of good pre-made necks out there, so this kit is really to give me the experience and an insight into what's involved.

Top of the page Bottom of the page
Damon67
Posted 2016-02-07 1:59 PM (#521992 - in reply to #521966)
Subject: Re: I've started building a kit guitar

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AV3B6oYh_oA
TAFKAR
Posted 2016-02-07 4:07 PM (#521999 - in reply to #521966)
Subject: Re: I've started building a kit guitar

You're a braver man than me Gunga Din!
arumako
Posted 2016-02-10 9:41 AM (#522081 - in reply to #521966)
Subject: RE: I've started building a kit guitar

muzza - 2016-02-06 8:06 AM

Thought you may be interested in following my progress, or lack of...

http://www.buildyourownguitar.com.au/forum/showthread.php?t=4937

My eventual aim is to build one from scratch. I feel confident I'd be able to build a guitar body from scratch, do a good job on the finish, put it all together, do the electonics and do a good 'setup', but I'm not willing to put the time in to create a neck - too much effort for something so critical.  There are lots of good pre-made necks out there, so this kit is really to give me the experience and an insight into what's involved.

Thanks for sharing your journey muzza! Great job on recovering the otherwise DOA headstock, The new headstock cut looks kind of like your Maton. You're already down to the finish - making quick progress. Looking forward to the finished guitar.

I know it's a non-O topic (so, I'll just leave a link), but I hope you don't mind my sharing pics of my EG#2. I made it way back in 1982. My high school wood shop had a bunch of "Philippine Mahogany" or Meranti (a close cousin of Nato which is often subbed for real Mahogany) just ready to toss into the dumpster; I asked if they'd let me keep it, and that's how I got into building guitars. I made six guitars by gluing and clamping 20"x6"x1" lumber together into 20"x18"x2" slabs. Had a blast designing 6 completely custom guitars. I gave the rest away, but have held onto EG#2.

http://s1279.photobucket.com/user/SwordHillVillage/library/1982%20H...

It's gone through several changes and upgrades, but the playability and sound are quite nice. I took a short-cut on the neck, and used one that was already built and finished. A friend of mine had a broken Aria Pro II guitar with a maple neck which he sold to me for 20 bucks. The PUPs are Seymour Duncan and they are incredible. Antiquity Texas Hot on the bridge and Alnico Pro IIs in the neck position. The electronics were really interesting to design as well. This double single coil configuration has a 3-way position switch, one volume and two tone knob. It was a bit tricky to configure, but the voice and tone of the guitar is unlike any that I've had or heard. Every once in awhile, I get the urge to do an upgrade on EG#2. I'm currently thinking about changing the bridge to a non-tremolo unit, and after seeing your project, I'm getting tempted to change the neck to a set-neck. Anyway, thanks for the inspiration! Can't wait to see your finished project, and hope you'll have a chance to design your own guitar too! Good luck!

Edited by arumako 2016-02-10 9:46 AM
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclub™ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)