The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "There are more love songs than anything else. If songs could make you do something we'd all love one another." -Frank Zappa

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Does this seem right?

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2007Message format

Jeff
Posted 2007-11-08 2:02 PM (#75362)
Subject: Does this seem right?

I bought a new Custom Legend about a year ago from an independant dealer, used it extensively for about six months, then traded it back to him in virtually the same condition as it was when I got it. Though it still looked brand new, it was definitely a used guitar. I also registered the warranty when it bought it. Fast forward to this weekend: I emailed the dealer to see if he still had it, and expressed that I might be interested in buying it back from him again if the price was workable for me (assuming it was now being sold as used). He emails back and says he'll sell it back to me for the original price I paid for it new.

I've never sold or traded a guitar and then bought it back again, so there may be some "finer points" to that process that I'm just naive about, but somehow, this just doesn't seem right, either from a customer service standpoint or an ethical one.

Any thoughts?
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Trader Jim
Posted 2007-11-08 2:11 PM (#75363 - in reply to #75362)
Subject: Re: Does this seem right?

Sounds like he's just trying to make a profit.....
..........twice.
FlySig
Posted 2007-11-08 2:11 PM (#75364 - in reply to #75362)

Shop around. It doesn't sound like a good business decision on his part to sell a used guitar for a new guitar price. As long as he isn't representing it as new, I don't see any ethical problem, just a goodwill problem.
G8r
Posted 2007-11-08 2:29 PM (#75365 - in reply to #75362)

Agreed, so long as he's not representing the guitar as new, no ethical problem. But I sure as heck wouldn't deal with him again.
Weaser P
Posted 2007-11-08 2:43 PM (#75366 - in reply to #75362)

"Any thoughts?"

Yeah - the guy's a supreme jerk. I wouldn't buy a set of strings off of him. I agree with what's been said that, as long as he's fairly representing the git as used, there's no real ethical issue but there's a very real business issue. I'd offer him less than he bought it back from me for (now it's used twice over, right?) and, if he wants to leave it on the shelf, then say good riddance.
Capo Guy
Posted 2007-11-08 2:59 PM (#75367 - in reply to #75362)

Not a good deal.
BT717
Posted 2007-11-08 3:02 PM (#75368 - in reply to #75362)

You would be crazy to buy it back at the same price as if you bouht it new! This guy is trying to "stick" it to you for some reason. I agree with
Weaser P. Make him an offer and if he says no, say
Goodbye.
Tupperware
Posted 2007-11-08 4:14 PM (#75369 - in reply to #75362)

A = you're original purchase price
B = what he gave you in trade value
C = what he wants for it now

Your cost is A-B+C. You need to do the math and determine if the guitar is worth that much to you right now. Personally, there's only a very few guitars that I would want to own more than once.

Dave
PEZ
Posted 2007-11-08 4:18 PM (#75370 - in reply to #75362)

Fins another dealer and buy another guitar.
Its worth the used price in the blue book.
an4340
Posted 2007-11-08 4:22 PM (#75371 - in reply to #75362)

My experience with pawn shops is as follows:
Let's say you know the used piece of gear can be sold for $100. The pawn shop will offer you $50. And list it for $150, expecting to be haggled down to $100.

This is no longer your guitar. Let's say the guitar's new value was $1500. Let's say he gave you $1000 on the trade in, he'll put it on sale for $1500 and probably expect to sell it for $1000 plus something. I'd offer him the trade in value he previously gave you, plus something extra. If he declines, then move on. He's not being a jerk, it's just his business. You can ask him for how long he's going to list it for the "new" price.
fillhixx
Posted 2007-11-08 5:14 PM (#75372 - in reply to #75362)

I would prefer to see it as a bargaining position only. To be responded by your low-ball comeback. Then back and forth until you're both equally dissatisfied and you both walk away thinking each has taken advantage of the other.

That's how it works in a bartering society, IME.
Omaha
Posted 2007-11-08 5:56 PM (#75373 - in reply to #75362)

Did you tell him what you wanted to pay? Try that.

You asked him for a number. Are you surprised that he gave you one that was in his favor? Give him one that's in your favor and see what happens.
Mitchrx
Posted 2007-11-08 6:18 PM (#75374 - in reply to #75362)

For those of you who think that the store owner is a jerk, perhaps you should look at this from his persepctive.

He sells a guitar. The buyer uses it and then decides he wants something else. Seller agrees to take it back on a trade (Jeff, you have to tell us what the trade was).

Six months goes by and buyer wants the guitar again. Seller asks for his original price.

My view is that the store owner is simply doing business.

The issue that I see is the warranty. If anyone other than Jeff buys the guitar, there's no warranty. The selling price to anyone other than Jeff should be lower to take that into account. Selling the guitar to Jeff though preserves the warranty (I think). Since the warranty has some value, Jeff should pay for it even if he paid for it once before.
Northcountry
Posted 2007-11-08 6:43 PM (#75375 - in reply to #75362)

Well if it helps I have mint Custom Legend 1769 for sale for a grand. I'll pay shipping to an OFC member... Nice New Case, 1997 era deep bowl, cutaway, oiled finish neck, deep green stained center to jet black top that shows off the MOP and abalone shell real nice.

Food for thought.
Randy
fillhixx
Posted 2007-11-08 6:44 PM (#75376 - in reply to #75362)

Originally posted by Mitchrx:
Since the warranty has some value, Jeff should pay for it even if he paid for it once before.
Interesting fact...
The guitar has more value to Jeff and only to Jeff.

Very unique situation.

Complicates the negociation. Hire a professional, or someone from a bartering culture... ;)
Weaser P
Posted 2007-11-08 7:26 PM (#75377 - in reply to #75362)

"For those of you who think that the store owner is a jerk, perhaps you should look at this from his persepctive."

I don't disagree that he should be allowed to do business but let's look at it from a business perspective, not necessarily this guys' POV...

If you buy it (originally), you allow him a profit. When you go back to trade it in, you sell back at a discount because he should be able to make a fair profit on the next sale. If you go back to buy it again, he should again expect to make a profit (due to his continued expenses between your return and the second sale). However, seeing that you sold at a discount, your price should be between the first sale price and the trade in value, not back to the original sale price. Business is business and screwing somebody is screwing somebody.

My opinion holds for me - this guy's a jerk.

Bottom line is this guitar's value is whatever someone will pay for it. This guy knew that it was worth x to Jeff before - he's betting it'll be worth it to him again. And that's taking unfair advantage.
fillhixx
Posted 2007-11-08 9:48 PM (#75378 - in reply to #75362)

Capitalism is the free exchange of goods and property between free men. Anyone who tries to dictate the prices and fees of another is attempting to control the market by forces other than free trade.

What are y'all, some kind of Com'nists?

Buy, don't buy. Vendor free to ask the price, purchaser is free to offer another.
PEZ
Posted 2007-11-08 10:04 PM (#75379 - in reply to #75362)

Agreed,
He took thew guitar likily for the wholesale blue book value, and should asking the Blue Book retial price for it used in that condition.

I think he assume reget and want that particular
guitar back.

Most libraries have it or ask another local store
the might be willing to you.

He won't sell if for that.
Tell everyone you know what happened.
Business practices like this is like stealing dime instead earning a dollar.

In the end he lose both dime & dollar in the long.
rededdie
Posted 2007-11-08 10:39 PM (#75380 - in reply to #75362)

Set up the trebuchet in front of the store/shop and fire Taylors and celebs at him until he becomes more reasonable.
(Please take pictures)
Jeff
Posted 2007-11-08 11:01 PM (#75381 - in reply to #75362)

Interesting replies, and I thank you for them. Like I said, I've never bought a guitar, sold it and then bought it back so this is unchartered teritory for me. I wasn't standing in judgement of the dealer so much as trying to educate myself, so thanks for the help in that.

As for the history behind all this, I didn't trade it back to him for another guitar. I actually sold it back to him for cash because I was in a bit of a bind, and I thought if I sell it back to the dealer, at least I'll know where it is should I decide later that I'd like to get it back. Last weekend, I made a soft inquiry just to see if he even still had it. I don't know if he's representing it as a new guitar or not, becasue all his email said was, "I'll sell it back for the original price ($1299) w/ case."

Frankly, it's not worth the hassle to me of trying to haggle with the guy. The inquiry was more to satisfy a curiosity than anything else. Although, had the price been right... Anyway, now that I see where he's coming from, I needn't go any further with it.

Thanks again for your input.
Paul Blanchard
Posted 2007-11-09 10:55 AM (#75382 - in reply to #75362)

Jerk or not, the guy owns the guitar and it is his to do with as he pleases. (Having had it unsold for six months says something in itself.)

I'm with Dave on a particular point: there are few guitars I've sold that I would go out of my way to own again. There is a reason that you sold THIS guitar to ease your bind, unless it was the only one you had. So, unless you are without a guitar, what makes it desirable to go after THIS one again?

There are lots of used Ovations available for reasonably good prices to waste time on one in particular unless it's features make it desirable above all others.
alpep
Posted 2007-11-09 12:22 PM (#75383 - in reply to #75362)

if you love THAT guitar then you are at his mercy if you love that SYLE of guitar then you have a ton of options.

if I can help e mail me.
Jeff
Posted 2007-11-09 12:47 PM (#75384 - in reply to #75362)

For clarification, I'm not "jonesing" to get THAT particular guitar back. It was just one of several options I'd been kicking around.

Paul, you're correct, the reason I sold that guitar was because at the time I was moving away from ovations and going towards all wood boxes. However, after spending a recent weekend in Kansas City with a couple of good friends and lots of great sounding Ovations lying around, I started waxing nostalgic for an A braced O again: something in the Legend, Legend LTD or Custom Legend family. I also like the Glen Campbell 1627 reissues, but I can't really afford one of those. What I'll most likely do (and I've already spoken with Kim Keller about this) is send my '81 1627 back to the factory and have them upgrade it to the reissue specs (new top/bowl assembly, reissue electronics, etc). That was my first option and so far still seems like the best.
Mark in Boise
Posted 2007-11-09 1:04 PM (#75385 - in reply to #75362)

I can pick you up a mid 70s Custom Legend for $825 or less at a local music store, but I'm sure you could do better than that.
Trader Jim
Posted 2007-11-09 1:08 PM (#75386 - in reply to #75362)

Originally posted by rededdie:
Set up the trebuchet in front of the store/shop and fire Taylors and celebs at him until he becomes more reasonable.
(Please take pictures)
:D :D
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)