The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "It's much too late to do anything about rock & roll now ..." - Jerry Garcia / Grateful Dead

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Breadwinner

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Members Forums -> Ovation Electric GuitarsMessage format

hippychip
Posted 2016-01-05 4:16 PM (#520016)
Subject: Breadwinner

Anyone out there have a Breadwinner? This is my 1974---I've had her since 1978---best guitar I ever owned!

Top of the page Bottom of the page
Mr. Ovation
Posted 2016-01-05 6:38 PM (#520018 - in reply to #520016)
Subject: Re: Breadwinner

I have a few. The final prototype, one of the first production models and a Deacon.
numbfingers
Posted 2016-01-06 5:47 PM (#520036 - in reply to #520016)
Subject: RE: Breadwinner

The purple-lined case is cool. Did you change the pickguard?

I got my shiny mahogany Deacon in '74 or '75. It will be the last one they pry from my cold nonfunctioning hands.

I have a couple of white Breadwinners, one with the early pickups and nylon(?) saddles like yours. Someone here likes those saddles, maybe Mr. O.

Also a BW Limited with a sort of satin clear finish. Plus almost all the pieces to make another BW if I ever get around to it. Anyone got a cheap backplate for the batteries?

-Steve W.

Edited by numbfingers 2016-01-06 5:48 PM
hippychip
Posted 2016-01-07 10:17 AM (#520045 - in reply to #520016)

The original owner had the pickguard custom made (so I was told) to add a little flash on stage---everything else is original---she has a few dings, and the headstock has been repaired (professionally), but overall condition is great for a guitar that is 40+ years old! How 'bout some pictures guys?
Peter
Posted 2016-01-15 11:32 AM (#520357 - in reply to #520016)

Very cool, hippychip. I love Breadwinners! You're post inspired me to snap a few pics.

Here are both of mine, what I believe to be a late '72 and a '75. Both are original and in really good shape for their age (unlike their owner). I tried to show the differences in pickups, bridge saddles, jack location, and neckplate and control plate differences between the early and late versions. I didn't include pictures of the cases, but there are some slight differences. The case for my '72 is purple lined, like yours, while the later version has gold lining.

Also, I've not seen this mentioned before, but I noticed that the tuner mounting screws on only the very earliest tuners are in line, unlike most that you see, where the screws are offset. I tried to capture that in the last picture.

Let me know what you think:

Edited by Peter 2016-01-15 12:01 PM
Mr. Ovation
Posted 2016-01-15 2:45 PM (#520366 - in reply to #520016)

Those are simply gorgeous. The tuners have been discussed but only briefly in vane when people try to get replacements.
Mark in Boise
Posted 2016-01-16 12:00 PM (#520388 - in reply to #520016)

I always thought the shape was too weird and seemed awkward. Then I played a beautiful red Deacon that the local Guitar Center had mislabeled and mispriced as a Breadwinner and fell in love. They just fit and feel so perfect. As usual, I spent too long trying to rationalize how I needed another electric guitar that I never play and when I went back it was gone.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)