The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "I've always felt that blues, rock 'n' roll and country are just about a beat apart."-Waylon Jennings

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Need a vote

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2007Message format

vision
Posted 2007-11-09 11:35 AM (#75330)
Subject: Need a vote

Okay - so Fender is buying the company - Who thinks it is a good investment to buy Pre Fender Adamas and Ovations? I am a collector - can only play 5 songs - trying for that 6th but I would like to think my guitars will go up in value and not down.

Looking for your answers. :rolleyes:
Top of the page Bottom of the page
fillhixx
Posted 2007-11-09 11:50 AM (#75331 - in reply to #75330)
Subject: Re: Need a vote

You want a sure investment? Ask Warren Buffet.

Buy the guitars you like, if they go up in value it just means the taste of others is improving.
vision
Posted 2007-11-09 11:56 AM (#75332 - in reply to #75330)

Do you think Warren would take the time to tell me :D :D I bet guitars are not on his stock list.
Slipkid
Posted 2007-11-09 12:10 PM (#75333 - in reply to #75330)

Maybe the Celebs will move to Mexico. Maybe they will put a push on the Ultras.
I don't know.
But until I hear different, I expect good, and even improved products to continue to come out of the Mothership.
alpep
Posted 2007-11-09 12:20 PM (#75334 - in reply to #75330)

IMHO an adamas is one of the best investments you can make
vision
Posted 2007-11-09 12:29 PM (#75335 - in reply to #75330)

sell me one cheap Alpep LOL
Tupperware
Posted 2007-11-09 12:36 PM (#75336 - in reply to #75330)

Originally posted by vision:
I would like to think my guitars will go up in value and not down.
I agree with Al about Adamas, but not about Ovation. In all seriousness, in my opinion if you are a collector wanting to invest in guitars that all appreciate in value than you are in the wrong place. I don't mean that as a negative comment towards Ovation in any way. But I see Ovation as the "working mans's guitar". The F-150 pickup truck of the guitar world. People buy F-150's to get a job done, not to bankroll their retirements.

I have sold over 90 of my ovation guitars (the complete list is on my website) and to be honest the number of them that I even made a single dollar of profit or appreciation in value is close to zero. I'm serious. Ovation guitars do not go up in value and that's just the way it is. The only exception is the original Slothead.

To be honest (I'm trying to say this without sounding like an ovation-bashing) I actually think and hope that it's the POST Fender Ovations that turn out to be the valuable ones. The reason I say this is because in my heart or hearts as much as I love Ovation, I really think they take a back seat to other builders in terms of product quality. I see too many little issues, a spot here, a misfit here, rough edges here, etc. That stuff just does not happen to the same frequency on other brands that I inspect regularly. And I think/hope that THIS is an area that maybe Fender can lend some help. It won't take a lot, and it's not like the quality is aweful, it's just the last 5% of the job needs to get a little more attention.

So, I am personally hoping for REALLY good things in terms of product quality and maybe some increase in R&D funding could lead to the development of "who knows what". I'd like to believe that the sky is the limit and that PFO's (Post Fender Ovations) will be THE instrument to own, even from an investment/collectability point of view. I have no current plans to buy any Ovation guitars, but hopefully that will change with the new guard.

Dave
an4340
Posted 2007-11-09 12:42 PM (#75337 - in reply to #75330)

I think it's always a great time to buy a guitar you love, can afford and use. I would never buy a guitar as an investment vehicle. Sure as a side benefit, if it goes up, well, that's great.

As to whether Fender's purchase helps pre-fender guitars, it depends on the quality of the post-fender guitars. As far as I know, everything is the same, so I guess my answer, in terms of investment vehicles and how it relates to the fender purchase, is no.

Adamas are great guitars.
vision
Posted 2007-11-09 12:55 PM (#75338 - in reply to #75330)

On the ovations, I primarily stick to the vintage ones - 1982 mint collectors, 1985 6 & 12 string collectors and two 1983 1537's - which are the best sounding ovations IMHO. I also bought a mint, never played 1974 1112-4 ballader - those are my ovations - not really interested in the newer ones. The rest are adamas. Where I would like to say I just play for the enjoyment - medical reasons prevent that so I hope I buy ones that will increase in value, since I keep all my guitars mint and gently played.

I bet there are people out there that bought a 52 Fender telecaster in 1952 and sold it a few years later that are kicking themselves now. Hopefully, as the years pass some of my guitar will make me smile with the price they bring when I have to start selling all my material possesions - Don't laugh....It will happen to everyone of us someday :D
Mark in Boise
Posted 2007-11-09 1:01 PM (#75339 - in reply to #75330)

The best investment advice I can give is don't do what I did. If I buy anything, the value goes down. That's a fact of my life. Since I've bought quite a few Ovations in the last couple years, I'd bet the value will go down. If they don't follow tradition and the value increases, I doubt I'll sell anyway.
Just play more and you won't have to worry about the value.
lanaki
Posted 2007-11-09 1:27 PM (#75340 - in reply to #75330)

i used to sell fine art for a living. the "investment" issue would almost always come up. i would gently instill the thought in the potential buyer that the real investment is what happens inside of her as she is gazing upon the piece. how the art moves her and makes her feel. the real investment is how her life and her home are enhanced by the artwork. a dollar value cannot be placed on that. certainly i could state the history of the artist and the market trend for his/her art but that has no bearing on where the art takes your spirit.

i always cautioned the buyer to acquire the piece because they loved it. if the artist's work happens to increase in value, great. most people don't buy art with the intention of re-selling it anyway. there are some extremely wealthy exceptions to this rule and i think they miss the point of art altogether.

buy a guitar and play it cuz you love it. if you find you don't love it anymore, sell it. if you make a monetary profit, terrific. if not, simply recall how you felt making music and how the guitar once moved your spirit. you got your money's worth.
PEZ
Posted 2007-11-09 4:56 PM (#75341 - in reply to #75330)

I don't think its limited to the slot heads
I have seen storm series guitar sell 2 to 3 times the orginal list price. Breadwinners and all solid body guitars are selling far above thier street prices.

Intially they take dive then then start going up.
Its not been fast.

The change in owership may make collectors market.
ProfessorBB
Posted 2007-11-09 5:00 PM (#75342 - in reply to #75330)

Well said, Randy. That's my feeling every time I walk into the bandroom and turn on the signs.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)