The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "It's much too late to do anything about rock & roll now ..." - Jerry Garcia / Grateful Dead

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Happy Birthday

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2007Message format

Tony Calman
Posted 2007-11-10 12:57 AM (#75274)
Subject: Happy Birthday

November 10th is a special day for all Marines and families...remember, there are no ex-Marines.

Whether you served or have family that served, Happy 232nd Birthday.

General Lejeune's Marine Corps Birthday Message

MARINE CORPS ORDER No. 47 (Series 1921)
HEADQUARTERS
U.S. MARINE CORPS Washington, November 1, 1921

The following will be read to the command on the 10th of November, 1921, and hereafter on the 10th of November of every year. Should the order not be received by the 10th of November, 1921, it will be read upon receipt.

On November 10, 1775, a Corps of Marines was created by a resolution of Continental Congress. Since that date many thousand men have borne the name "Marine". In memory of them it is fitting that we who are Marines should commemorate the birthday of our corps by calling to mind the glories of its long and illustrious history.

The record of our corps is one which will bear comparison with that of the most famous military organizations in the world's history. During 90 of the 146 years of its existence the Marine Corps has been in action against the Nation's foes. From the Battle of Trenton to the Argonne, Marines have won foremost honors in war, and in the long eras of tranquility at home, generation after generation of Marines have grown gray in war in both hemispheres and in every corner of the seven seas, that our country and its citizens might enjoy peace and security.

In every battle and skirmish since the birth of our corps, Marines have acquitted themselves with the greatest distinction, winning new honors on each occasion until the term "Marine" has come to signify all that is highest in military efficiency and soldierly virtue.

This high name of distinction and soldierly repute we who are Marines today have received from those who preceded us in the corps. With it we have also received from them the eternal spirit which has animated our corps from generation to generation and has been the distinguishing mark of the Marines in every age. So long as that spirit continues to flourish Marines will be found equal to every emergency in the future as they have been in the past, and the men of our Nation will regard us as worthy successors to the long line of illustrious men who have served as "Soldiers of the Sea" since the founding of the Corps.

JOHN A. LEJEUNE,
Major General
Commandant

Of course, it is fitting to include Women Marines in the "...illustrious men who have served as "Soldiers of the Sea..."

Semper Fidelis
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Tupperware
Posted 2007-11-10 1:11 AM (#75275 - in reply to #75274)
Subject: Re: Happy Birthday

Well said.

At the age of 49, one of my biggest regrets is having never served my country. I can trace every luxury, every comfort and every freedom that I enjoy all the way back to the men and woman who give of themselves every single day for the benefit of an entire nation.

I salute you.
Tony Calman
Posted 2007-11-10 1:29 AM (#75276 - in reply to #75274)

from a commercial company but a nice gesture:

Birthday
Elliot Meldoy
Posted 2007-11-10 8:05 AM (#75277 - in reply to #75274)

Happy Birthday my fellow Marines of the OFC.
Semper Fi

Time for Keg and Ice Cream :)
PEZ
Posted 2007-11-11 2:50 AM (#75278 - in reply to #75274)

If I see military people in uniform
I make point of saying Thank You for serving.

I was in Army ROTC till I failed physical at the end of 2nd year. I left college then because I had no idea what else I wanted to do.
Went back later.
First Alternate
Posted 2007-11-11 5:18 AM (#75279 - in reply to #75274)

In 1971 I was flying military standby out of O'Hare. Back then you had to be in uniform to do that, and I was.

When it looked as though I would get on, the gate agent gave me a green boarding pass. As I was sitting and reading as I waited, the second agent, an older guy, was looking at me and called me back to the desk. He asked me for my boarding pass and gave me another one, this one blue. OK, I went and sat down again. When I got on the plane, I found I was in first class.

I don't need any more thanks for my service. That guy thanked me and I'll never forget him.
Beal
Posted 2007-11-11 10:15 PM (#75280 - in reply to #75274)

Happy Birthday.
MusicMishka
Posted 2007-11-11 11:51 PM (#75281 - in reply to #75274)

Semper Fi fellow Marines!
MusicMishka
Posted 2007-11-11 11:58 PM (#75282 - in reply to #75274)

In 1971 I was flying military standby out of O'Hare. Back then you had to be in uniform to do that, and I was.

When it looked as though I would get on, the gate agent gave me a green boarding pass. As I was sitting and reading as I waited, the second agent, an older guy, was looking at me and called me back to the desk. He asked me for my boarding pass and gave me another one, this one blue. OK, I went and sat down again. When I got on the plane, I found I was in first class.

I don't need any more thanks for my service. That guy thanked me and I'll never forget him.
I had a very similar thing happen flying Military standby from Yuma Marine corps Air Station in 1973...I flew to Phoenix and was waiting with a fellow in the Army: we were in Uniform and it was the week before Christmas...everyone else had boarded and we thought we were not going to be able to get a seat...the ticket agent called us and gave us boarding passes: when we got on the plane, we found that we were in first class...American Airlines Boeing 707 first class to Washington DC (Dulles)...what a great time and a great memory...
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)