The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Jazz... isn't that just a series of mistakes disguised as musical composition?” - David St. Hubbins of Spinal Tap

Jump to page : 12
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
To play or not to play

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2007Message format

ozwatto
Posted 2007-11-11 11:48 PM (#74957)
Subject: To play or not to play

This is my dilemma.

Been playing in a garage band for the past few months and having lots of fun. That's all I ever wanted to do it for.

Last week our drummer calls me and tells me we're playing a gig on December 1. It's a street party and there'll be 150-200 people there. Our little drummer boy is only 18 and has a huge misplaced sense of confidence and cockiness.

I personally don't think that we're anywhere near ready to play in front of people. We only ever get together every couple of weeks and fumble our way through the same list of 25 songs. Of those 25 there are maybe six that I would be almost comfortable playing in front of a crowd. Sometimes there's two guitarists but usually it's just me...so I don't even know if we're a three-piece or a four-piece.

My skills aren't good enough to front a serious three-piece and our bass player has even less talent. When I'm required to play any sort of lead break he just stops playing and asks me what he should play. We've had several disagreements regarding this. I believe it's my job as a guitarist to learn the guitar parts and his job as a bass player to learn the bass parts.

As for our drummer...well he just wants to play loud.

Should I be the bad guy in all this and tell them that we shouldn't go ahead. I know that in the next three weeks before the gig we might get together once to practice and I reckon we should be practising every day. Am I taking this too seriously?? Should I just chill out and go for it regardless of whether we make fools out of ourselves or not?? Should I wear some sort of disguise when/if we play. It's a small village that I live in.

Any suggestions are welcome
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Mr. Ovation
Posted 2007-11-12 12:15 AM (#74958 - in reply to #74957)
Subject: Re: To play or not to play

Let your heart and ears be your guide.

Also, get a cheapo cassette recorder or even one of the newer MP3 digital versions. Emphasis on a general purpose, no frills, just press record type device. I used to use the standard Radio Shack cassette deck with built in mic.

Anyway, record yourselves playing a set. Not a jam rehearsal, but make believe there is an audience and just record a set of tunes on the crappy machine.

They next day, not the same day, but the next day, put it on, or hook it up (the recording) to the most average of average playback devices. Your computer, your car, the home stereo... whatever.

If you like what you hear, play the gig. Forget what you meant to play, but really listen as a "consumer" just out for some music. If you don't like what you hear, maybe you're not ready, maybe it will motivate everyone to be ready... again, only you (and your mates) will know.

I can say this. If you walk on stage thinking "gee I don't know if I should be here.." That's EXACTLY how it's going to sound.
Akami
Posted 2007-11-12 1:21 AM (#74959 - in reply to #74957)

From your description of the situation I completely agree with your view of the band but I also like Mr. Ovation's suggestion.

Playing live is one of the things which keeps most musicians alive and it is also one of the best ways to drive yourself forward practice-wise.

I'm in Japan right now and have hardly touched the guitar since I got here until yesterday.

I have a series of gigs and want to be invited back to every one of them next year, or even next month and knowing that I have to be stage ready pushes me to practice and revise my repertoire.

Another thing you may want to think about is how to present yourself to the audience.

If you're upfront with them about it being your first gig and that you may repeat a couple songs before the end of it you'll be on better footing than if you come out full of confidence and brashness, then sound unaccomplished.

Good luck and I hope you can pull off the gig.
Old Man Arthur
Posted 2007-11-12 1:33 AM (#74960 - in reply to #74957)

I know nothing about performing on stage. But I have assisted a few bands, setting-up, that kind of stuff...

Playing on stage is the goal, ain't it? Most of my friends only played for free beer and the opportunity to play and be seen.
[a couple even got signed!] If they got paid, it was about enough to rent the Ryder truck to haul the gear.

But you will need to practice TOGETHER, with anyone who is gonna be with the Band. (this is gonna suck, but...)
You may have to have Rules :mad: Like if you wanna play, you gotta practice.
You've got 19 days! (no pressure)

But hey! I hope you do it, and have fun!
And Oz... If you get famous, remember us! :D
Mr. Ovation
Posted 2007-11-12 1:41 AM (#74961 - in reply to #74957)

I would also like to add at this what seems the most appropriate topic and discussion to add... my favorite quote...

"Music is supposed to be fun... that's why they call it "playing" music." - matt smith

If you are all stressed out about it... it's not going to go well.

Also, depending on the gig... a good presentation can go a long way. Some of my worst playing, yet some of my best "gigs" were parties.

You may be somewhat lucky. From the sounds of it, they are not coming to see you play, they are coming for a party. If that's the spirit, relax and have fun.

I got a gig as a bass player off a party "audition". I played with them for a few years and it was a blast because it was a 50's band. No pressure. No one came to listen to us, they came to party and dance and drink and have fun. We had to keep a beat and start and stop at the right places. The fact that we sounded actually pretty good helped... but we constantly made up words to songs and we even made up names of artists who did the songs when we announced them in that oh so 50's style. None of that mattered. It was all good fun and we always got paid, and always invited back.

Oh yeah, and one more time... PRACTICE as much as possible. I like and advise groups to practice sets just like there was an audience there, with any banter or not. It adds some structure and familiarity. Keep in mind, I've rarely seen a gig go exactly as rehearsed, but if you practice enough... it won't matter. You'll be able to wing-it in our out of whatever happens.

And besides the above qoute... I think this next one came from Alpep...
"you're never more than a 1/2-step from the right note."
Jewel's Mom a/k/a Joisey Goil #1
Posted 2007-11-12 7:06 AM (#74962 - in reply to #74957)

A few thoughts:
1. If your drummer-who-loves-to-play-loud plays loud enough, no one will hear the rest of you and it won't matter. ;)
2. Distortion can cover up a multitude of sins if used liberally enough. ;)
3. Make sure you begin to play after the audience is thorougly libated; that way, they won't remember who the band was--or if there even was one..... ;)

How many members are in the band's cast, and what is the consensus of the group? Does everyone else feel the same way you do, or are you the only voice of reason? An 18-year-old drummer may still somewhat under the influence of the "testosterone volcano;" you know--"size of mouth inversely proportional to size of brain." If the rest of you feel as you do, will your drummer concur gracefully or do a bunk because his artistic expression is being "suppressed"?

--Karen
gulfcoast
Posted 2007-11-12 7:33 AM (#74963 - in reply to #74957)

If playing live is your goal this may be a good lets say live practice, maybe a paying one! If family and friends are in the crowd thats even better, they tend to be forgiving and enjoy seeing their kids /grandkids having fun.
Beal
Posted 2007-11-12 8:22 AM (#74964 - in reply to #74957)

Just go do it.
Another great quote from Matt, "there is no problem that a hundred gigs won't cure" gotta start somewhere.
an4340
Posted 2007-11-12 8:38 AM (#74965 - in reply to #74957)

Most of the people will be ignoring you at a block party and they will not have paid for a ticket so there expectations will be greatly diminished.

Those that are paying attention will be appreciative since they are getting the music for free.

It sounds like the weak link is the bass player. Tell him to play like this when he has a doubt: Keep time with the drummer, and play the root of the chord I'm playing.

After the gig you're confidence level will soar.
BT717
Posted 2007-11-12 9:17 AM (#74966 - in reply to #74957)

I played my first gig with my buddy back on Oct 5th at UConn in front of about 40 "Young adults". We practice twice a week for 5 weeks. We got a ton
of advise from many different people but the 2 things I remember most were: The audience is rooting for you. They want you to do well so relax as best as you can and have fun. And the 2nd was: Most of the audience don't know how to play guitar, drums or what ever.They rarely know
when you make a mistake unless you "show it" so just play thru and enjoy the experience. I played that night and made quite a few mistakes. I found out after that they recorded us. When I listened to the "CD" I was amazed at how few I could really
hear. My point is practice as much as you can and
have fun. It's an life experience to enjoy!
Good Luck!!
FlySig
Posted 2007-11-12 10:24 AM (#74967 - in reply to #74957)

ozwatto, feed off of your drummer's cockiness! Go have fun and pretend you actually know what you're doing.

I play in a church youth band, as one of two middle aged adults. We have a good but part time drummer, a good bassist who sometimes "plays" guitar, three teenage girl vocalists (one of whom plays a little guitar), the other adult who is a very good vocalist but marginal guitarist, and me, a lousy vocalist and passable guitarist.

Sometimes, the girl who was supposed to be lead singer doesn't show. Or, quite frequently, no drums and/or no bass. Last Sunday it was just me and two girls.

No song is ever, and I mean ever played the same way twice. The bassist brings his Tele instead of his bass. The other guitarist changes the chords around. The girls make up new harmonies. etc etc.

We just pretend that we intended to perform it that way!

As long as your gig isn't a serious professional thing, where people pay money and are expecting something you cannot deliver, I say go for it and have fun.
Bernard
Posted 2007-11-12 10:48 AM (#74968 - in reply to #74957)

I understand the stress of : are we ready to go on stage ?.

But GO AND DO IT !!!

Have fun . No regrets.
brainslag
Posted 2007-11-12 11:35 AM (#74969 - in reply to #74957)

Garage bands are fun, but no one wants to be in the garage forever. Put together a set list and arrange as many practices as possible. My 2 cents: better to dumb down the music a little and put on a clean performance than try to do too much and botch it up. Oh, and tell the drummer to look up 'Dynamics' in the dictionary.. Loud drums all thru a party, and the others turning up to compete, is no good.
Omaha
Posted 2007-11-12 12:02 PM (#74970 - in reply to #74957)

What the hell...go for it. If you wait until you are "ready", you'll never play.

What's the absolute worst thing that could happen? You suck, they think you suck, no one there would ever hire you again and your band breaks up. Big deal. Were you thinking that this band was going to last forever?

At least you got some real world gig experience, and that's more important than anything else.
schroeder
Posted 2007-11-12 1:38 PM (#74971 - in reply to #74957)

oz, why do you think drink and drugs evolved? There weren't any until the first musicians crawled out of the swamps.
Do it.
stonebobbo
Posted 2007-11-12 1:55 PM (#74972 - in reply to #74957)

Go and do it. You can probably overcome the limitations of the drummer and bass player, and reduce your stress level with your own playing, if you play a lot of Ramones tunes. ;)
Mr. Ovation
Posted 2007-11-12 1:56 PM (#74973 - in reply to #74957)

Originally posted by Mauvais Beal:
Just go do it.
Another great quote from Matt, "there is no problem that a hundred gigs won't cure" gotta start somewhere.
Another keeper!!!!
Waskel
Posted 2007-11-12 2:41 PM (#74974 - in reply to #74957)

Make sure you get paid in advance.
cliff
Posted 2007-11-12 2:49 PM (#74975 - in reply to #74957)

One Word:

ChickenWire.
lanaki
Posted 2007-11-12 2:53 PM (#74976 - in reply to #74957)

Originally posted by ozwatto:

Been playing in a garage band for the past few months and having lots of fun.

so take the garage with you.
lanaki
Posted 2007-11-12 2:55 PM (#74977 - in reply to #74957)

Originally posted by cliff:
One Word:

ChickenWire.
good band name!
muzza
Posted 2007-11-12 5:40 PM (#74978 - in reply to #74957)

What about sharing the glory with another band?

It would take a lot of the pressure off you trying to provide a 'full' repertoire and therefore allow you to concentrate on more quality, less quantity.

Have you talked to the other band members about your thoughts and doubts yet?
schroeder
Posted 2007-11-13 6:11 AM (#74979 - in reply to #74957)

muzza wrote:-

"Have you talked to the other band members about your thoughts and doubts yet?"

Jeez - are you guys really Aussies or what? D'ya reckon that's what Lillee and Thommo used to do? Me neither.
You guys get less Brit and more Californian every year. And that is not a good thing.
ozwatto
Posted 2007-11-13 6:42 AM (#74980 - in reply to #74957)

Just hang on there Schroeder. I've had a couple of disgreements with my fellow band members but as for discussing my thoughts and doubts....well...F**K that :D

Shane Warne certainly had more Californian in him than Lillee & Thommo....but I miss him already
muzza
Posted 2007-11-13 7:14 AM (#74981 - in reply to #74957)

Originally posted by schroeder:
D'ya reckon that's what Lillee and Thommo used to do? Me neither.
I never knew Lillee and Thommo were in a garage band! :eek:
Originally posted by this stupid board:
Sorry, the time in which you may edit your message has elapsed.
Yeah, I forgot this board had an international following. Tried to delete it, but too late. 'Hard' Aussie image tarnished forever.

I was supposed to tell Ozwatto to tell them... "I'm the f@ckin boss and you'll do what you're f@ckin told. You - PRACTICE! You - SHUT UP! I'm going for a smoke!" but it came out a bit poofier than that, didn't it.
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclub™ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)