The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "I've always felt that blues, rock 'n' roll and country are just about a beat apart."-Waylon Jennings

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Trying to get smart on Ovation

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2007Message format

Phil J
Posted 2007-11-13 7:47 AM (#74729)
Subject: Trying to get smart on Ovation

Hi

I am trying to get some information about Ovation guitars I played one that someone had here in Afghanistan before he left to go home. If was very nice. I can’t tell you which one it was. But it was an Acoustic electric guitar and it sounded great and felt really nice. I went to the Ovation web site and find I have even more question I did before I went to it. There are US made and none US made and then I found out that there are Applause guitars as well. But I think I am starting to figure thinks out. I have been looking at the different models and I found one that looks nice but I can’t find out a lot about how it sounds. The model I found is CC44-2WFB Waterfall Figured Bubinga Acoustic Electric Guitar. Do you guys know if this is a good sounding guitar? I guess anything would be better then what I am currently learning to play on. My wife got me a used guitar in a pawn shop for $80.00 a Lotus. It is ok for were I am but I would like to get something better when I get home. And I have my heart set on an Ovation. I just want to get one that sounds nice and looks nice that I will have a lot fun with. Any way anything you could tell me would be great thanks.

Phil
Top of the page Bottom of the page
G8r
Posted 2007-11-13 10:00 AM (#74730 - in reply to #74729)
Subject: Re: Trying to get smart on Ovation

Welcome, Phil J, and if you're a serviceman I know I speak for all here when I say Thank You for your service.

Most folks here prefer the US-made Ovations over the Asian-made Celebrity series (of which the CC44 is one). I myself own a Celeb, but generally the Celebs don't sound as good, nor play as good, as a US O (there are exceptions, of course, just like there are US O's that aren't quite up to snuff). The one you mention is a laminate (plywood) top and as a rule they just don't have the tone, volume or projection of a solid wood top. Celebs with the CS designation are usually solid tops, but again they usually don't measure up to a US O.

As for the US models, Adamas (carbon fiber tops) are considered top-of-the-line, and their price reflects that. As far as the wood-top models, the deep-bowl Legends and Elites are high-end, while the Balladeers are the "entry-level" models. Even so, most Balladeers will easily beat out even the higher-priced Celebs in tone and playability.. That said, it's still a matter of playing an individual guitar to see if you like it. If a particular guitar feels and sounds good to you, regardless of the model or where it was made, that's all that matters.

All inall, I'd look for a used Balladeer or Standard Elite. Solid wood tops gain a richness in tone (called "opening up") as they age and are played that you won't find on laminate tops or brand-new solid tops. I've seen nice Balladeers going for under ~$300 lately. For that you'd get a really fine US-made O.
Mark in Boise
Posted 2007-11-13 10:27 AM (#74731 - in reply to #74729)

The Waterfall Bubinga is a great looking wood, but it's not much for sound. I think the new Ultras, made in Korea, have solid spruce tops and sound pretty good.
Paul Blanchard
Posted 2007-11-13 10:41 AM (#74732 - in reply to #74729)

Phil,

Welcome, and ditto on your service for our country.

If you have limited internet access for now, you may not be able to frequent the board. But there is a lot of information here for when you do.

One thing many of us believe is that buying used is a way to get more guitar for the dollar, but it does have risks when you don't see the guitar in person.

When you get a chance, click on the link for Lost Art Vintage, one of the sponsors for this site. Al has a lot of Ovations on there to look over.

Stay safe, and enjoy that guitar.
Captain Lovehandles
Posted 2007-11-13 11:00 AM (#74733 - in reply to #74729)

Welcome, Phil. When do you get home, and where is home? You can probably get a lot of help from the members here in getting a very good and reasonable guitar.
bvince
Posted 2007-11-13 11:10 AM (#74734 - in reply to #74729)

Welcome phil, from a retired Jarhead. All the above posts are right on. Used USA Ovations are the deal of the century and you'll never be disappointed in a decent one. Much more guitar for your dollar.
Phil J
Posted 2007-11-15 3:11 AM (#74735 - in reply to #74729)

Thanks everyone for all the great information. You have made it easier to understand the difference. You have given me a lot to think on. I do have another question. In looking at different ovation over the internet I see there are different neck joints like bolt on and slide in to name two. How does this affect the guitar?
Phil J
STK
Posted 2007-11-15 3:52 AM (#74736 - in reply to #74729)

Phil, one thing the OFC members forgot to inform you is that they at times do sell their guitars to other OFC members. I just bought an Ovation from another OFC member and I never had to worry about being sold the wrong merchandize. Moreover, these members do love their guitars and seem to take good care of them. eBay on the other hand can be great but there are dishonest sellers as well. Just read the posting "Beware". If you post your budget and the kind of sound you like, some of the members might be interested in selling an O guitar to you, especially to a serviceman who is returning to the U.S. Good Luck!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclub™ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)