The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "It's much too late to do anything about rock & roll now ..." - Jerry Garcia / Grateful Dead

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Craigslist -vs- eBay

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2007Message format

Mr. Ovation
Posted 2007-11-13 3:26 PM (#74666)
Subject: Craigslist -vs- eBay

I have noticed that the use of Craigslist is very regional and even eBay to some extent.

Here in the PNW, Craiglist is a household word. When I was in Maryland, some people "heard of it."

I find it very hard to find anything on Craigslist because my "local" area is not covered. I'm between two major area's so depending on the lister, it's either in the area to the North or to the South. Makes a real pain for searching, and I never find anything. But I hear people talking about buying stuff on craigslist all the time.

When I say "talking" I mean in person, at fairs and yard sales you hear people talking about Craigslist... not eBay.

At a recent convention we had a booth setup for our eBay Assistants services. Someone asked us why they would put something on eBay when they could just put it on Craigslist. Of course we had an answer, but that's not the point. I was surprised at the question.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Yak
Posted 2007-11-13 3:30 PM (#74667 - in reply to #74666)
Subject: Re: Craigslist -vs- eBay

Try searching with...

http://www.crazedlist.org/
Capo Guy
Posted 2007-11-13 3:44 PM (#74668 - in reply to #74666)

About the only time I look at Craiglist is when someone posts about a guitar on it. I usually look at ebay once a day. Craiglist is so regional.
Mr. Ovation
Posted 2007-11-13 3:55 PM (#74669 - in reply to #74666)

Yak, thanks for that link. WOW!!!!!

I may actually use Craigslist now at least to look for stuff.
Trader Jim
Posted 2007-11-13 4:32 PM (#74670 - in reply to #74666)

As a seller, Ebay charges to list, then they charge you a final sales fee, then they get you for 3% on paypal if the buyer pays that way. Thats why people like Craigslist, its free. Ebay has much better safeguards in the feedback and seller/buyer protection, but all the stuff I've bought and sold on Craigslist is done face to face with cash. (the best way)
Capo Guy
Posted 2007-11-13 4:37 PM (#74671 - in reply to #74666)

Yak,
Thanks for the link. :cool:
Brian T
Posted 2007-11-13 5:45 PM (#74672 - in reply to #74666)

Ebay gives you a safe amount of distance. True you pay fees and have to hassle with shipping, but in return you are much safer.

Last month a lady was murdered when she responded to a craigslist ad for a nanny. Not to sound overly paranoid, but there is an abundance of wacko's out there. I am not so sure I want to advertise that I own expensive musical equipment in the local area and then have some stranger show up at my house to see it. True, you can meet them in some public place, but it's still a lot more risky than selling on Ebay.

It might be even more dangerous buying on craigslist. Here you are showing up at some stranger's place with a pocket full of money. And you can be sure that the criminals are thinking about the potential opportunities, just like the scammers on Ebay.
Northcountry
Posted 2007-11-13 5:57 PM (#74673 - in reply to #74666)

So far I have only found one guitar listed on Craigslist to buy, in my area anyway, A doubleneck epiphone for $100 I bought it and sold it on Ebay for $400. I have also sold two used vehicles locally and have all kinds of emails about some of my musical equipment. It is free to advertise and easy to load a photo. I have found a lot of people still like to deal face to face with people only. This site is perfect for personal deals. Not so good for sending money long distance. I had forgotten about feeling the same way about money and sending it.... 8 years ago before I got involved with Ebay.
I to have a problem with the area selections as well. Albany is my nearest search (50miles)and that is close to where I work.

Randy
Mark in Boise
Posted 2007-11-13 6:27 PM (#74674 - in reply to #74666)

I sold a car to somebody from the Seattle area off Craigslist. I had calls from other areas of the country, too, but they might have picked up the Cars.com site from the ad in the local paper. I don't see how it's any different than the way we used to sell stuff, Brian. Put an ad in the paper and see if anyone legit shows up along with all the wackos.
Brian T
Posted 2007-11-13 7:30 PM (#74675 - in reply to #74666)

I realize that the percentage of successful transactions versus criminal behavior is very slight, but it is still a factor. I'm just saying it's one less thing to worry about with Ebay.

Obviously you have to feel-out who you are dealing with over the phone before meeting for a face to face transaction, and even then it's best to bring a friend. I just have heard a few horror stories.
an4340
Posted 2007-11-13 7:58 PM (#74676 - in reply to #74666)

Both are popular in NYC. With craig's list you have to like (or at least not be afraid to interact face to face). I've bought and sold things in both places. I guess I've just been lucky.
First Alternate
Posted 2007-11-14 3:59 AM (#74677 - in reply to #74666)

Originally posted by Brian T:
I am not so sure I want to advertise that I own expensive musical equipment in the local area and then have some stranger show up at my house to see it.
Having sold a few things via Craigslist, I'd given this a little thought. I don't list my street address in the ad. I list a number from a throw-away cell phone so I can evaluate the buyer with reasonable anonymity. I always meet the buyer in my garage, not the house, and I am always carrying a concealed firearm (legal here).

This does not protect against all possible eventualities, but it's more secure than the way things could be done in the past.
Paul Blanchard
Posted 2007-11-14 7:16 AM (#74678 - in reply to #74666)

Has Craigslist developed a way to search nationally yet?
xbj
Posted 2007-11-14 11:37 PM (#74679 - in reply to #74666)

No, but typing craigslist plus what you're looking for in any search engine usually brings up any regional current listings and some outdated ones.

Les
Waskel
Posted 2007-11-15 7:09 AM (#74680 - in reply to #74666)

Another great tool is Craig\'s Helper .

When using search engines try including site:craigslist.org in the search terms...

Ovation site:craigslist.org

or

Adamas site:craigslist.org
dvd
Posted 2007-11-15 12:04 PM (#74681 - in reply to #74666)

Originally posted by First Alternate:
... I list a number from a throw-away cell phone so I can evaluate the buyer with reasonable anonymity. ...
I'd recommend using numbr .. you get a true "throw-away" phone number.. you can register it for an hour, a day, a week, or a month, and always extend it if you need. They have local numbers in about 30 cities.

Gives you the ability to screen calls, record voicemail, and restrict calling to daytime hours only. A perfect way to give out a temporary number to somebody you don't necessarily trust.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)