The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: “Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and charm and gaiety to life and to everything.” -Plato

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Beware

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2007Message format

zephdef
Posted 2007-11-14 5:49 AM (#74625)
Subject: Beware

Hi, to all you happy Ovationists out there,...Well it just had to happen to someone, but why me ?
After becoming an avid baywatcher like most of you guysI finally invested, well what could go wrong! after aweek and a halfs angish wondering if this wonderfull and rare(sellers definition)Custom Legend would arrive in France OK, after going half way round the world,it did arrive, the box was compleatly unmolested, even the case was OK, but the CL was in a very sorry state, the sound board has warped in the bridge area lifting and unsticking the
bridge for half the length and if that was'nt bad enough there's no adjusting nut on the truss rod!!!!
I contacted the guy (Blue Sky auctions Houston) and he just does not want to know....so there you have it, I seem to be stuck with a piece of pawn shop crap for the price of a mint .........
If any body could give me tech information about
what sort of truss rod nut or how the bridge is pinned on etc, I would be very greatfull
Ovation Custom Legend 1869 from 1990
Jim :mad:
Top of the page Bottom of the page
ozwatto
Posted 2007-11-14 6:23 AM (#74626 - in reply to #74625)
Subject: Re: Beware

That's a sorry tale zephdef. I hope things will work out for you.
Paul Blanchard
Posted 2007-11-14 6:41 AM (#74627 - in reply to #74625)

Sorry to hear it. I recommend you pursue a complaint through eBay. Did you pay via PayPal? They have a process, too. Neither is very good, but sometimes can be helpful.
AussieJames
Posted 2007-11-14 7:00 AM (#74628 - in reply to #74625)

Hey Zeph
I think ebay will leave you stranded, well thats my experience anyway.
I suggest you get a good luthier to have a look at it, may not be as bad as you think.
You are a stones throw (across the channel)from some esteemed members of this forum that may be able to offer some advice.
Mate I'm in OZ and I'm light years away.
Good luck from another Jim
Cheers AJ
zephdef
Posted 2007-11-14 7:21 AM (#74629 - in reply to #74625)

Thanks for your replies, yeah I did pay by paypalbut I think you ar probably right Aussie, trying to go through all the rimgaroll trying to prove I'm right
and the other guy is wrong is a bit daunting, I think I will cut my losses and try and get someone to fix it... but for the moment I am smarting too much from having the guitar of my dreams turn into a nightmare ....there is one bright spot though, the mechanics seem in good condition now I have cleaned them!! :(
MusicMishka
Posted 2007-11-14 7:52 AM (#74630 - in reply to #74625)

I strongly recomend that you persue this through Paypal and EBay...take pictures and send them to both; as well as detailing how the seller is not being helpful...sounds like he did not loosen the strings before shipment (no truss rod nut is another story)...I am sorry that this happened to you...It only takes one bad apple to spoil the whole barrel...hopefully you'll be able to get it fixed and get some relief from eBay/paypal...All the best!
AussieJames
Posted 2007-11-14 8:09 AM (#74631 - in reply to #74625)

Mate I was speaking from my own experience and I agree with MM, pursue all options.
The one reedeming factor is that you have an Ovation and a CL at that, at least you have something decent to work with.
And you are not alone!! :)
AJ
Paul Templeman
Posted 2007-11-14 8:59 AM (#74632 - in reply to #74625)

Talk to the official Ovation distributor in France. Their service department should have the truss-rod nut available from their spares stock. They may also repair the bridge, though as warranties are not transferable from the original owner, they will charge for this. Better having someone who is used to dealing with the unique contruction of Ovations, many repair shops used to dealing only with wooden guitars tend to treat them with contempt
zephdef
Posted 2007-11-14 9:51 AM (#74633 - in reply to #74625)

Ahh, it maks all the difference having a friendly
ear to bend,thanks for all the advice
Jim
couchflyer
Posted 2007-11-14 10:58 AM (#74634 - in reply to #74625)

zephdef
I have purchased an item or two that were falsely advertised, paid through paypal. I went through their disputed resolution claim process. I have won all disputes. Unfortunately you have to pay for the shipping to sent the item back to the liar who falsely advertised the item.

Bottem line, it is worth it, file the claim.
zephdef
Posted 2007-11-14 11:50 AM (#74635 - in reply to #74625)

The latest news is I found a workshop who says they can fix it quite easily and bring it up to standard for 240$ (this is for taking the bridge off compleatly, fixing the warp etc, this bill I will send to the seller, along with a statement of proof of the condition the guitar was in when it entered their workshop , I will also let ebay know....this may sound like an easy solution, but to be quite honest I dont think my nerves could stand a long protracted dispute with someone who does'nt give a stuff anyway....jeez, man I just want to play my guitar!!!!
Jim
cliff
Posted 2007-11-14 12:30 PM (#74636 - in reply to #74625)

hmmmmm . . . eBay AND PayPal . . . .

(CLICK!!)
Mark in Boise
Posted 2007-11-14 12:49 PM (#74637 - in reply to #74625)

Let us know if the seller pays the repair bill.
John B
Posted 2007-11-14 3:44 PM (#74638 - in reply to #74625)

Could it be that the the guitar was in good condition when it was shipped? If it was shipped that distance, I would think it would have gone by air. Maybe the seller forgot to loosen the strings. That sounds like the kind of damage that would result. If that's the case, maybe the seller will pay or at least help with the bill.
John B
Posted 2007-11-14 3:49 PM (#74639 - in reply to #74625)

Nevermind. Someone already suggested that.
seesquare
Posted 2007-11-14 3:58 PM (#74640 - in reply to #74625)

I wouldn't stand downwind. The chance of the seller making good oin the repair are fair, at best. Depends on how much their reputation is worth to them. May get the ol' single-digit salute.
bauerhillboy
Posted 2007-11-14 5:28 PM (#74641 - in reply to #74625)

What's this guy's address? I say let's get the boys together and pay him a little visit.

Sorry...I'm from Jersey originally. It comes out from time to time.

Seriously, though, this same thing happened to me with an ebay guitar. It was a '79 Ovation 1115 and it had lots of bad problems. I quickly realized I wouldn't get any satisfaction from the seller (divorced/broke woman selling off x-husband's guitars). I gave it to the right repair person...for a long time. When it came back it was in fine shape and is my favorite.

The situation was a hard one for a while, but I love this guitar and I'm glad it wound up in my loving home. I wish the same for you Jim.

John <>{
zephdef
Posted 2007-11-15 3:33 AM (#74642 - in reply to #74625)

Thanks once again for all the positive and humorous
advice , if the CL comes out from the repaires in good shape there is no reason why I should'nt be over the moon , and it will be nice to bring a great looking guitar back to life, I s'pose then all the hassal will fade and just become part of it's storey..... the funny thing is I've been wanting a CL since about 1976, when I first saw them in Marcel Dadi's shop here in Paris! you'd think that 30 years
was long enough to choose a good one!!!!
Jim
schroeder
Posted 2007-11-15 5:32 AM (#74643 - in reply to #74625)

Jim send a PM to Jerome - he will be able to tell you about the French distributor. I had to have some work done on a Country Artist and the UK distributor did a great job - the luthier even rang me to ask exactly what height I wanted the action to be when he put the strings back on. Like Temp says - use people who a) know what they are doing with an O and b) don't look down their noses at Os.
Good luck - it'll all come right in the end.
And the seller was probably in a hurry when he packed it - he was rushing off to his parents wedding.
zephdef
Posted 2007-11-15 7:22 AM (#74644 - in reply to #74625)

Yep, Schroeder, I have been in touch with Jerome and he has been very helpful... thanks
Jim
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclub™ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)