The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "There are more love songs than anything else. If songs could make you do something we'd all love one another." -Frank Zappa

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Hi and no "what is the value questions"

View previous thread :: View next thread
   The Ovation Fan Club -> Welcome CenterMessage format

k_jupiter
Posted 2010-11-30 9:01 PM (#2491)
Subject: Hi and no "what is the value questions"

New owner of an Ultra 1312. Yep, it's not a rare one, it's not an expensive one, but it's my first one. Bought it dirt cheap with the hard case and it is a sweet sounding guitar.
My question is... Are all Ovations this hard to play? *L* After messing with my daughters Ibanez steel string and the GF's nylon beater, it is apparent that getting clean notes out of the Ultra is and will continue to be a challenge. When you get the chord correct (usually very hard finger pressure right behind the fret) it is sweet, but my fingers are killing me. Perhaps I'll just get use to it?

Any ideas?

tim in san jose
Top of the page Bottom of the page
muzza
Posted 2010-11-30 9:40 PM (#2492 - in reply to #2491)
Subject: Re: Hi and no "what is the value questions"

Ovations are the easiest guitars in the world to play if they're set up correctly. Even the detractors agree that they've got exceptional necks.
Check the neck relief. (is the neck bending up?) If it is, give the truss rod a tweak.
Try lowering the action.
If you're not sure how to carry out the above suggestions, take it to a luthier and ask him to set it up.
Or...
Try lighter gauge strings.
Try toughening up. The pain only lasts a few weeks.
nikon4004
Posted 2010-11-30 9:43 PM (#2493 - in reply to #2491)

Sounds like it needs a setup..Dp the strings appear to be abnormally high off the fingerboard the closer you get to the bridge.

There should be shims under the saddle. You will have to removes the strings, but since you just got the git, it needs new ones anyhow. Remove one shim, put one of the old strings back on the check the height adjustment and if it is more confortable, put all the new strings on. If not, remove another shim and starts again. Remember, this may cause string buzz. If you are not comfortable doing this, take it it your local luthier and they will do this for you for a nominal fee.

Guck and have fun!!!!!!
k_jupiter
Posted 2010-11-30 11:10 PM (#2494 - in reply to #2491)

Thanks. I have done luthier work in the past but not on guitars. I think I'll take this down to the local GC and get them to lower the action. The guitar is a 1985 model and seems to be in pristine shape. And the tone... (to me)amazing.

tim in san jose
Nordicnorm
Posted 2010-12-01 1:17 AM (#2495 - in reply to #2491)

Hi Tim,
Try and put a capo on the first or second fret. If that makes it much easier on the fingers, then the string hight at the nut may be too high.
The string hight at the first fret should be close to a business-card (about .010") for a rough measurement. If it is much higher have it fixed, and you will love the difference. That plus what the others have told you above...
Oh, and welcome
standing
Posted 2010-12-01 2:41 AM (#2496 - in reply to #2491)

First and easiest thing to try? Put new strings on it… old strings can feel stiff and sound dead. Yours may still be on there from 1985… ;)  Also, as muzza suggests, try lighter gauge strings at first, the sound may not be as full, but you can always switch to heavier strings later when you've built up your calluses and finger strength from your daily practice sessions…
stonebobbo
Posted 2010-12-01 2:49 AM (#2497 - in reply to #2491)

Tim,

Welcome. Lots of good hints here. I have an Ultra from 1311 from 1983 that got hard to play because the Urelite neck started to bow and it didn't have a truss rod. Yours might have the wood neck on it which makes it easier to setup well.

Guitar Showcase in Campbell is Ovation friendly and they do a lot of setup work there. You should check them out. Bascom/Camden.
k_jupiter
Posted 2010-12-01 11:45 AM (#2498 - in reply to #2491)

Thank you, thank you, thank you, one and all. I'll try the Guitar Showcase down on Bascom, I wanted to go see about a guitar for daughter #2 anyway. I have a set of D'Angelo (spelling?) lites so I might try that first. This puppy has a wood neck so we will see. Lots to work with before we just accept the condition.

Thanks again.

tim in san jose
k_jupiter
Posted 2010-12-03 10:13 PM (#2499 - in reply to #2491)

Once again, thanks to all. I took the guitar down to Guitar Showcase, happened to run into the local Ovation Rep. he and the knowledgeable guy behind the counter, took my guitar, strummed a few chords, said it's not too bad but needs fixed, and showed me that the soundboard had been pulled out of shape in the 25 years it has been under tension. They recommended shaving the front of the bridge, getting a lower bridge nut, then having the neck either readjusted or reset.
Sounds like a lot of money for a cheap guitar, but then again, it does sound great and I'll probably do it. Too nice a guitar to throw away.

Got the name and numbers of a couple of luthiers.

tim in san jose
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclub™ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)