The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "It's much too late to do anything about rock & roll now ..." - Jerry Garcia / Grateful Dead

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Hi, im new, and i need some info already >.>

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2007Message format

Davlion
Posted 2007-11-14 4:13 PM (#74573)
Subject: Hi, im new, and i need some info already >.>

I am not very knowledgeable when it comes to guitars and setting them up correctly. I have just purchased an Ovation 6756LX Legend LX 12 string Amberburst a few days ago, I DAMN WELL LOVE IT. The only problem is the action is too high and I have nooo idea how to lower it on this guitar. I dont want to screw up the intonation (if there even is such a thing on this type of guitar) or anything and in fact have no clue what to do to lower the action. I dont want to mess up the guitar, but i dont want carpal tunnel syndrome either :p . Anyone know of any site or any information that could help me lower the strings accurately myself or do you recommend i take it into a place and get it done?
Thanks in advance.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Mark in Boise
Posted 2007-11-14 4:26 PM (#74574 - in reply to #74573)
Subject: Re: Hi, im new, and i need some info already >.>

Was it new or did it come with a manual? If so, the manual shows you how to take out the shims from under the saddle. It will be a pain to take off all the strings on a 12 string, but you could do it when you change the strings. Just reach under the saddle and push up lightly on the wire that goes to it. The saddle will lift out of the bridge and you should see a couple of shims. Take one or 2 out. If you think you want the action really low, take them all out. You might get some fret buzz, especially if you strum hard.
There is also a discription on the Ovation website under manuals, last I looked.
Capo Guy
Posted 2007-11-14 4:27 PM (#74575 - in reply to #74573)

There are probably a couple of shims under the pickup,( one thick, one thin). You will have to remove the strings then gently lift out the pickup and saddle assembly. Remove a shim restring and see how it plays.
Taylor Player
Posted 2007-11-14 4:28 PM (#74576 - in reply to #74573)

I have the exact same guitar (same color too). As soon as I got it, I changed the strings and took both shims under the bridge saddle out. It made a world of difference! Just pull up on the saddle carefully and then gently remove the two shims under the saddle. If it is too low for you then, you can always put one back. I just stored the extras in the case so if the action get's too low this winter, I can always add one back. The factory ships them with at least 2 shims under the saddle typically. I did notice the intonation at the 12th fret is a little off, but I rarely play my 12 string up that high. That area is reserved for my Taylor 612C.

Enjoy your new guitar, I really like mine and the OP Pro is super!
Davlion
Posted 2007-11-14 4:34 PM (#74577 - in reply to #74573)

ahh! No, it was not new. It was on clearance at a guitar center I went to. I got it for 550$ and I made sure everything was good to go on it. A great buy it had no scratches, no body damage, so it was practically new, just the strings were horrid and I put some new D'Addario's on it and it's a wonderful guitar. Cool, and thank you for the info. I think i left just enough room to be able to take the strings off and string them back on.
Taylor Player
Posted 2007-11-14 4:36 PM (#74578 - in reply to #74573)

Just loosen the strings up quite a bit and you should be able to remove the saddle. You won't have to unwind them all the way. It could save you alot of time with 12 strings!
Davlion
Posted 2007-11-14 4:40 PM (#74579 - in reply to #74573)

yeah, ill try without having to place the strings back in. Though, I think it is too tight heh...
bauerhillboy
Posted 2007-11-14 5:07 PM (#74580 - in reply to #74573)

Before you play with shims, you should see if the neck has the proper relief. The trussrod may need to be adjusted. If it does or it doesn't, check this first. Then remove shims if you need to.

BTW...very nice guitar. John <>{
Davlion
Posted 2007-11-14 5:10 PM (#74581 - in reply to #74573)

thanks! ok another, do you guys recommend taking both of the shims out?? or just one? how many did you remove taylor? and ill check out the neck too.
Mark in Boise
Posted 2007-11-14 5:45 PM (#74582 - in reply to #74573)

It kind of depends on how you play. If you want a light action, take them all out. But if you use light guage strings, you might get some fret buzz. With thicker guage strings, the action will be heavier. You have to decide what you want for how you play. 12s are a little harder to play, especially in the upper frets, so you might want it as light as possible, but some people never play up there.
Davlion
Posted 2007-11-14 6:00 PM (#74583 - in reply to #74573)

cool, thanks a lot everyone!
bauerhillboy
Posted 2007-11-14 9:52 PM (#74584 - in reply to #74573)

Oh...just in case you didn't catch this, you'll probably go through 3 sets of strings before you get this all figured out. Buy a few sets of Earthwoods cheap somewhere.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)