The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Jazz... isn't that just a series of mistakes disguised as musical composition?” - David St. Hubbins of Spinal Tap

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Any Deacon electronics experts out there ?

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2007Message format

Dr.Tom
Posted 2007-11-17 5:34 PM (#73882)
Subject: Any Deacon electronics experts out there ?

My Deacon was working fine until recently. I can only get the guitar to output to the amp when the tone control is set on zero(bass). I have checked the batteries and even swapped them out(although good) and still no luck. Can any one help ? Thank you.

Regards,

Tom
Top of the page Bottom of the page
BruDeV
Posted 2007-11-17 6:35 PM (#73883 - in reply to #73882)
Subject: Re: Any Deacon electronics experts out there ?

Either a bad connection on the series part of the tone control. Or a bad tone control.

The Ovation electric preamps' tone control have two sections, one section is like a regular tone control, the other is in series with the signal.
The purpose was to allow the volume to stay the same over the range of the tone control.

The control for the single coil preamps was made by Stackpole (out of business). The control for the early mini-humbucker preamp was also made by Stackpole. The later mini-humbucker preamp control was made by CTS.
BruDeV
Posted 2007-11-20 9:46 PM (#73884 - in reply to #73882)

Any progress?
Captain Black
Posted 2007-11-22 3:48 PM (#73885 - in reply to #73882)

Hi, Tom -
Strange this has happened to you, I have been refurbishing a Deacon and have ended up with exactly the same problem. I ended up making a complete new body as the original one had been messed about with too much by the previous owner/s to make a decent repair job - The original wasn't strung, I only just checked that the pickups were active - Something may have happened between me swapping the electrics from the original body to the new one, or it may have come to me like this, but sadly, I don't know. To be honest, it sounds very good as is - with the tone control full off, AND I don't have the heart to take everything apart again to try & see what's wrong, as I had so many problems with the building of it - I was just pleased to produce some kind of sound ! I know this doesn't help much, but if anyone might be able to pinpoint what might be wrong, I'd be tempted to have another go at it. (I do have one or two Breadwinner electronics pieces laying around somewhere)
If it comes to replacing a tone control, I probably won't be able to get to do it this side of Christmas.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclub™ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)