The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "It's much too late to do anything about rock & roll now ..." - Jerry Garcia / Grateful Dead

Jump to page : 123
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Very rare Adamas found in Japan!

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2007Message format

Akami
Posted 2007-11-19 5:31 AM (#73676)
Subject: Very rare Adamas found in Japan!

I found a very rare 1978 (probably) Adamas here in Japan last week and am dying to know more about it.

It has a card on it advertising it as a 1977 model and claims to be the 3rd Adamas in production.

Charlies signature is inside and there is a smudge on the last number so it either says 1976 or 1978, which means it must say 1978.

It has a very brownish finish with no sparkles and the wood knobs look a little bit on the handmade side, although they do have the graduated dot indicators.

I really want this guitar and thought it sounded great, and looked even better.

I mean, I wish they still offered epaulets like this thing has on it!

They're asking about $10,000 for it and I've been kicking myself ever since I saw it for not being rich enough to just buy it!

Anyone that recognizes me here knows I don't show up often and am basically a lurker with a common love for Adamas; hence I have no idea how to get my pics uploaded.

I just shrank some of them down but unlike other sites which will allow me to attach images I wasn't able to do so.

I'm going to be very busy for the remainder of my time in Japan but will try to get the photos up as soon as possible.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Akami
Posted 2007-11-19 6:34 AM (#73677 - in reply to #73676)
Subject: Re: Very rare Adamas found in Japan!

Hopefully this works.

http://s230.photobucket.com/albums/ee318/Akami_photos/Adamas%20in%2...
Waskel
Posted 2007-11-19 7:06 AM (#73678 - in reply to #73676)

Very cool!

Don't feel bad. At least once a day I kick myself for not being rich enough to afford something I want.
Charlie Ramon
Posted 2007-11-19 7:10 AM (#73679 - in reply to #73676)

To me it looks like a very early 1687 with the mono FET preamp. In the beginning they only made the blue, beige, red and camouflage brown (later also black) so this dark brown top could be a custom order. The brown bowl reminds me of some Adamas II models. Otherwise it seems to be a standard production model of that era.

I've heared that the Adamas I guitars (they call them Super Adamas over there) are quite high priced in Japan. I'm sure you could get a comparable model for less of what they are asking for if you could find one in the US or Europe. Currently there is a blue AI of that era (serial # in the 900 range) for sale on UK ebay.

Karl
Paul Templeman
Posted 2007-11-19 7:28 AM (#73680 - in reply to #73676)

Agreed, it's an early production 1687. It would be nice to think a guitar like this would fetch $10K, but right now the reality is nearer $3K, and possibly less.
bvince
Posted 2007-11-19 7:35 AM (#73681 - in reply to #73676)

What is the current Yen Rate there? Karl is right. For a fraction of that amount you could buy a lot of nice models state side. But hey ... What's a measly ten grand?
alpep
Posted 2007-11-19 8:40 AM (#73682 - in reply to #73676)

I owned that guitar.
Steve
Posted 2007-11-19 8:45 AM (#73683 - in reply to #73676)

Is there anything different, special, or unique about it that would make it worth ten grand?..
Tupperware
Posted 2007-11-19 9:02 AM (#73684 - in reply to #73676)

The color looks the same as the slothead that Tom_CA just got.

MWoody
Posted 2007-11-19 9:02 AM (#73685 - in reply to #73676)

Aami,
Don't let Alpep off the hook that easily. Knowing the actual history of the instrument might bring the seller into a better (for you) position.

Of course he might go samurai on you to!!
Koenig Kurt
Posted 2007-11-19 9:10 AM (#73686 - in reply to #73676)

Reminds me of this:
Jerome\'s page - 1687-B

And if you compare thelast picture on Jerome's page with the picture where the guy is holding the guitar, you'd see - it's the same guitar.

Kurt
Beal
Posted 2007-11-19 9:45 AM (#73687 - in reply to #73676)

That's the one, there was only one. Not a custom order, just an experiment by Nick Mackin to see how the woodish look would work, if I remember correctly
Akami
Posted 2007-11-19 11:05 AM (#73688 - in reply to #73676)

Originally posted by alpep:
I owned that guitar.
You owned it?!?

Well I'd like to; for my tastes I think this is the most beatiful Adamas I've ever seen and if anyone else can confirm that this exact look is available anywhere else I'd really be interested in knowing more.

Incidentally I'm not ignorant to the point of not realizing what prices Adamas go for and the post pointing out that a lot of Adamas are available for much less shows a little lack of realization of the rarity of this particular guitar.

That in itself doesn't make it worth a kings ransom, but there are few if any more like this particular one. If I'm wrong, I hope someone can prove me so soon! :)

Alpep, please fill in some more about this particular period in Adamas history.
Paul Templeman
Posted 2007-11-19 11:30 AM (#73689 - in reply to #73676)

The only thing that makes this guitar "rare" is the colour and to a much lesser degree, the preamp. Other than that it's a production Adamas with a low serial number. If the guitar was located in the USA rather than Japan I suspect the asking price would be a lot more realistic. You could custom order a new 1687 with this color and have a ton of change left over from 10 grand.
brainslag
Posted 2007-11-19 11:51 AM (#73690 - in reply to #73676)

Originally posted by Paul Templeman:
The only thing that makes this guitar "rare" is the colour and to a much lesser degree, the preamp. Other than that it's a production Adamas with a low serial number.
Also there are no neck inlays, and no bowl sparkle. And serial #3. Production model, but rarer than most I'd say. Still for 10 grand I'd rather have cholloways slothead... or a car... or repairs to the house... or ...
Arnaud
Posted 2007-11-19 12:05 PM (#73691 - in reply to #73676)

Originally posted by Akami:
Hopefully this works.

Akami, what is the blue Adamas titled teal Adamas, have you some details?
Tupperware
Posted 2007-11-19 12:08 PM (#73692 - in reply to #73676)

Why do you say that this is the 3rd production guitar? Here's the production list of the first 90 guitars, including the 34 slotheads. Number 61 would have been the first production guitar. S/n 79 would have been the 19th. Splitting hairs, and 79 is still a very early one. Interesting that the production sheet says that s/n 79 should have been 1187 acoustic only and was originally scheduled to be -8 blue.

alpep
Posted 2007-11-19 12:16 PM (#73693 - in reply to #73676)

Beal is correct.

It never had a S/n it did have a label but it was not sold to the public.

I got the guitar when there was a great purge of instruments around 96 or so and subsequently sold it.

It is not a slothead it is just a color experiment.

sold it about 5 years ago or something like that.
can't remember too many guitars too many sales.

FWIW not worth 10K
IMHO
bvince
Posted 2007-11-19 12:23 PM (#73694 - in reply to #73676)

Hey ... no offense intended on my previous post. If you truly like the color that much, buy it! I'm confident the guitar itself sounds and plays great (It IS an Adamas) Myself, I'd rather spend less than half that on the 47 reissue and not on an old sticker. I'm sure the custom shop would make another one of those JUST FOR YOU at a fraction of the cost. Heck, for ten grand you could probably have the thing painted in wood tones all over and COVERED with old faded stickers.
Akami
Posted 2007-11-19 12:51 PM (#73695 - in reply to #73676)

Originally posted by Tupperware:
Why do you say that this is the 3rd production guitar?
Simply something I picked up from the attached tag, but I can't read all of the kanji on there and planned on having it more clearly explained to me what the intent was behind what they wrote.

Sorry I wasn't clear about that.

Anyway I'm excited about the guitar and find it interesting that I'm being directed to be less fascinated with it.

Whether it's worth $10,000 or not is somewhat irrelevant since I can't afford it anyway, having already spent that much on musical equipment this year but it's far more relevant a guitar than most of you will admit as Alpep and Brainslag have already pointed out.

Thanks for the additional information Tupperware and Alpep!

And by the way Alpep, do you have any idea what you sold it for?
Akami
Posted 2007-11-19 12:53 PM (#73696 - in reply to #73676)

Originally posted by Arnaud:
Originally posted by Akami:
Hopefully this works.

Akami, what is the blue Adamas titled teal Adamas, have you some details?
That teal one is the same color as my first 6 string Adamas and I really love the tamed down color of the epaulets.

I played it for half an hour and would love to have it as well.
Akami
Posted 2007-11-19 12:58 PM (#73697 - in reply to #73676)

Originally posted by Tupperware:
Why do you say that this is the 3rd production guitar?
Simply something I picked up from the attached tag, but I can't read all of the kanji on there and planned on having it more clearly explained to me what the intent was behind what they wrote.

Sorry I wasn't clear about that.

Anyway I'm excited about the guitar and find it interesting that I'm being directed to be less fascinated with it.

Whether it's worth $10,000 or not is somewhat irrelevant since I can't afford it anyway, having already spent that much on musical equipment this year but it's far more relevant a guitar than most of you will admit as Alpep and Brainslag have already pointed out.

Thanks for the additional information Tupperware and Alpep!

And by the way Alpep, do you have any idea what you sold it for?
samova
Posted 2007-11-19 12:59 PM (#73698 - in reply to #73676)

I owned that guitar once,if it is serial #79 ..Number 79 was bought by myself and a freind in california from an employee at the factory.I dont think he works there any more.We bought about 10 -12 guitars from him.A package deal.It had a UGLY brown finish that did not look factory to me.It was almost like someone used wood stain on a graphite top.I could not look at it or listen to it because it sounded very average for an adamas.I think the spray or stain finish(whatever it was) killed the sound of that guitar.
Tupperware
Posted 2007-11-19 1:08 PM (#73699 - in reply to #73676)

Hey I'm in the same boat. I tend to be very opinionated about things that I can not afford to buy.

From a functional guitar perspective this one is probably worth about $3,000. in the US. I'm sure it sounds very nice. You could probably have one built new just like it that would have better quality for maybe around $5,000. Just a guess.

But the rarity of this one could definately be worth a few extra thousands to the right person. And the early serial number and history associated with it could easily push the price to $10,000. But the interested buyers who would hand over that amount are pretty few. Not a criticism of the guitar itself, but just a fact that the pyrimid gets pretty narrow at the top.

Just my personal opinion (again shopping with money I do not have), but for $10,000. I would rather in vest in an original slothead. OR, I would custom order this exact same brown guitar to the same specs PLUS a matching 12-string. How cool would THAT be ???

Dave
Koenig Kurt
Posted 2007-11-19 1:34 PM (#73700 - in reply to #73676)

Since it came up: I understand the wanting of an original slothead or that brown Adamas for historical reasons. But would I buy it for 10 grands? I think, no. For sure it's a true collector's item and a piece of history, but what guitars would I get for 10 grand?

One OFC, custom built for me, a 12 string UTE and, for example, a Glen Campbell RI or a JW RI or, in germany, a 1651 Ltd. RI. That would make three of the finest, best sounding guitars Hartford has manufactured in the last years. Factoryfresh and still yet collectible. You would have covered up nearly everything (except for a Cutaway), bowl sizes, tops, neck widths and you're done!

Kurt
Jump to page : 1 2 3
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclub™ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)