The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Jazz... isn't that just a series of mistakes disguised as musical composition?” - David St. Hubbins of Spinal Tap

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
LX ...vs.. non-LX

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2007Message format

Yak
Posted 2007-11-20 10:59 AM (#73566)
Subject: LX ...vs.. non-LX

I remember when the LX models were still pre production, there was a whole lot of enthusiasm around them on this board. There was a lot of buzz around the new "X" bracing and other LX "features". Now that the LX's have been out for a while, it seems that most if not all of that luster that had us drooling has completely worn off. I've even come across negative reviews of LX's compared to their older counterparts. If this was Ovations answer to a more "acousitc" sound (i.e woodbox) .. why do most of you/us still cling so heavily to the old Legends and Collectors etc...
Top of the page Bottom of the page
moody, p.i.
Posted 2007-11-20 11:36 AM (#73567 - in reply to #73566)
Subject: Re: LX ...vs.. non-LX

There are things about the LX's that I very much like. Specifically, the lighter neck and bowl, and the increased headstock angle. And while I like the X bracing, I LOVE the A bracing of the older models.

I don't like the smaller neck inlays, nor am I fond of the inlaid epaulets or smaller inlaid rosette. But those aren't important. My first paragraph states the important opinions.

I only own one LX model, the 1773LX. And as far as I'm concerned, Ovation hit it out of the park with that one compared to their other nylon strings.....
Waskel
Posted 2007-11-20 11:51 AM (#73568 - in reply to #73566)

I really like some of the LX's for many of the same reasons Paul gave (except I love the inlaid epi's!).
I sold my 1777LX and 6778LX because I picked up my 1581 and 87C, and just didn't need them. While the LX's were very nice, they couldn't compete with what I think are two of the best models they ever produced.
On the other hand, I recently sold my 1759 Custom Legend and bought a 6758LX (Elite 12 string) because the LX is half the weight of the CL, which was causing me shoulder pain, and I prefer the LX neck. While the LX doesn't have the deep bowl, it produces a very sweet tone of it's own.
moody, p.i.
Posted 2007-11-20 11:56 AM (#73569 - in reply to #73566)

The LX 12 string is an excellent guitar. If I didn't have an Adamas I 12, I'd consider getting at LX 12. I think they are that good.....
Waskel
Posted 2007-11-20 12:04 PM (#73570 - in reply to #73566)

I love it. The only upgrade path I can see is if an Adamas II 12 falls into my grasping fingers...
Tupperware
Posted 2007-11-20 12:44 PM (#73571 - in reply to #73566)

Originally posted by Yak:
... Now that the LX's have been out for a while, it seems that most if not all of that luster that had us drooling has completely worn off ...
Same can be said in the auto industry for fuel injection and antilock brakes. Todays new gee-whiz becomes tomorrow's ho-hum.

The LX accomplished a lot of good things, all mentioned in the posts above. Significant improvement in bracing, neck attachment, weight, etc. To me the sound is much better than the vast majority of Ovations from the 80's-90's era. Still not quite up to the standards set back in the early days, but a nice improvement. See my post about the Glen Campbell Reissue, for example.

Think of the new Martin D-28 Authentic. Ignore the price and most people would still prefer an old 50's-60's D-28 even with a few battle scars.

Dave
gulfcoast
Posted 2007-11-20 12:47 PM (#73572 - in reply to #73566)

I,ve not played but a few LXs, but the ones I,ve played seemed less bright than a standard O.
Beggin
Posted 2007-11-20 1:18 PM (#73573 - in reply to #73566)

I've noticed my 1778LX opening up. When it first arrived I was somewhat disappointed. My 1867 SS bowl played louder and brighter. My son borrowed the 1867 and is returning it this week, it will be interesting to compare the two again.
PEZ
Posted 2007-11-21 1:04 AM (#73574 - in reply to #73566)

I perfer the sound and feel of the the traditional series myself. I do the solo singer songwriter deal.
The sound of 1719 is simply amazing.
Side by side 1719 and Martin D-28 both with fresh Adamas strings it was not even close.
The Ovation is louder warmer fuller and simply better.

Back to the topic at hand Traditional Vs LX,
Traditional series is at its best a solo instrument
LX is better in a acoustic rock band setting.

Thats my opinion on it.
45flint
Posted 2007-11-21 6:42 PM (#73575 - in reply to #73566)

The X bracing to me made sense in the roundhole LX, the X bracing for the elite to me made no sense, given the X bracing was built around having to hold the top up with a round centered soundhole. I think the elite choice of x bracing was simplification and cost. I think my 87C with fan bracing would compare well with the LX elite.
Steve
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclub™ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)