The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "I've always felt that blues, rock 'n' roll and country are just about a beat apart."-Waylon Jennings

Jump to page : 12
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
CA guitars

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2007Message format

Trader Jim
Posted 2007-11-22 3:55 PM (#73402 - in reply to #73377)
Subject: Re: CA guitars

Well, I ended up trading the Larrivee for the CA Bluegrass. Really a beautiful guitar, and quite the voice. Very loud if you want it to be, yet very clear and full even when being gentle with it. Nice neck profile, and...no truss rod. Here's part of their warranty disclaimer...

Although carbon fiber is an incredibly strong and resistant aerospace material, this product is intended to be used as a musical instrument only. This product is not intended for use as a battering ram, billy club, baseball bat, boat paddle, personal transport (such as a toboggan), body armor, pool float, projectile (human or mechanically powered), aircraft component or geostationary satellite (unless inside spacecraft). This warranty is VOID if the Composite Acoustics product has been used in any of these ways.

:D
Top of the page Bottom of the page
lanaki
Posted 2007-11-22 4:55 PM (#73403 - in reply to #73377)

and where are the images of your new plastic?
Trader Jim
Posted 2007-11-22 6:30 PM (#73404 - in reply to #73377)

It got too late to take any outside, and being mostly, well, all black, it doesn't show much detail inside. I'll get some up tomorrow. Sure is purdy tho and sounds just as good.
Trader Jim
Posted 2007-11-23 10:06 AM (#73405 - in reply to #73377)

So...I awoke this morning to....rain. Anyway, I got it outside between rains and got a few pics. I hate taking pictures of black guitars! (but the cat likes it)

Capo Guy
Posted 2007-11-23 11:34 AM (#73406 - in reply to #73377)

Jim,

Great looking guitar.

Yes be very careful what you're wearing when you take pictures of that guitar. :D
MWoody
Posted 2007-11-23 11:34 AM (#73407 - in reply to #73377)

I see you have the potential for adding a bone nut!!

Phil needs to hold a clinic on "Photographing the Black Guitar" (Exposing your Dark Side?).

Cool guitar BJ.
Beggin
Posted 2007-11-23 11:59 AM (#73408 - in reply to #73377)

Nice JimBob!

JimBob to me recently, "the Laravee will be around for a long time"....well, in your terms, it was around for a long time. :eek: ;)

Enjoy it buddy!
Trader Jim
Posted 2007-11-23 12:02 PM (#73409 - in reply to #73377)

Originally posted by BegginJIM:

JimBob to me recently, "the Laravee will be around for a long time"....well, in your terms, it was around for a long time. :eek: ;)

OK, OK, I know. GUILTY! ;) :p
Waskel
Posted 2007-11-23 1:22 PM (#73410 - in reply to #73377)

Nice, Jim. Very nice! I love the 3-D qualities of the CA tops.
45flint
Posted 2007-11-23 1:50 PM (#73411 - in reply to #73377)

Did you purposely buy the Bluegrass to be able to put in the pickup of your choice or was that the sound you wanted or was that what was available for a good price. Sounds like a multiple choice test.
Steve
Trader Jim
Posted 2007-11-23 2:07 PM (#73412 - in reply to #73377)

Steve, Actually I like the dred style, and sound, plus it was a trade for a guitar that I didn't play much anymore. The guy I got it off of was looking for a straight sale because he's moving to the Carolinas for his job and wanted to thin down the amount of guitars he has (15) When I approached him about a trade (trader Jim) he really wanted to get a Larrivee (GAS) so it all came together. I was thinking of electrifying it, but the jury is still out on that one.. Whew...
Tupperware
Posted 2007-11-24 12:10 AM (#73413 - in reply to #73377)

Damn, that's a ncie looking guitar. Congratulations.
Trader Jim
Posted 2007-11-24 1:34 PM (#73414 - in reply to #73377)

Thanks Dave, I kind of like that new Tak you got too! :D
(starting to sound like a mutual admiration society)

I'm feelin' that GAS again.... :rolleyes:
G8r
Posted 2007-11-24 2:51 PM (#73415 - in reply to #73377)

Wow! Congrats, Jim. Does she sound as good as she looks?
Trader Jim
Posted 2007-11-24 3:36 PM (#73416 - in reply to #73377)

It sounds as good as any I've played. Different, but just as good. It's kind of like explaining the sound of an Adamas. It sounds like a very high quality wood guitar, just more of it. Next jam, I'm bringing all of them along, or at least as many as I can fit in the car. So....when is it?
G8r
Posted 2007-11-24 9:28 PM (#73417 - in reply to #73377)

Next jam, I'm bringing all of them along, or at least as many as I can fit in the car. So....when is it?
g8rBowl MLK weekend, Jan. 19-21. Can't wait!
Beggin
Posted 2007-11-24 9:41 PM (#73418 - in reply to #73377)

Originally posted by Trader Jim:
Next jam, I'm bringing all of them along, or at least as many as I can fit in the car.
Or as many as he still has left. :p
Trader Jim
Posted 2007-11-24 11:32 PM (#73419 - in reply to #73377)

That was just plain cold. ;)
tdeej
Posted 2007-11-25 12:47 PM (#73420 - in reply to #73377)

I picked this GX Performer on a sale this past summer to use in the Idaho cold this winter. (Elderly is still using the picks of mine as the case is a dread. CA got me the correct case.)
The guitar goes beyond all expectations with wonderful overtones and unmatched acoustic volume.
Trader Jim
Posted 2007-11-25 3:36 PM (#73421 - in reply to #73377)

Tim, thats the one I really wanted, (that GX is a beauty) but this deal came along for a trade and I couldn't resist. I can't get used to the way this neck attaches to the body. There's no heel, just runs straight in.
Strummin12
Posted 2007-12-22 10:37 PM (#73422 - in reply to #73377)

The GX Performer is the one I bought recently. Incredible sound, and I'm very happy with the guitar. I've compared a few different CA models, and I preferred the GX.

Cliff, the X model (the one you played) is the first CA model I tried as well (at Manny's in NYC, the only other dealer in our area is Mando Bros. in Staten Island) and I was very impressed with the bass response for such a thin bodied guitar. But, just like with Ovation there are different body depths to CA guitars. The X model is like a shallow bowl. It's comfortable and a great sounding guitar, but it, reasonably, doesn't have the body depth to stand up to the rich, full sound of your Adamas. Clearly, apples and oranges. Perhaps if you have the opportunity to try another model in the Performer series, you may find yourself more impressed with the CA brand.

The GX Performer is the 'mid-deep' bowl version of the X, yet still a very comfortable body size to play. They promote it as having 'grand auditorium' sound. To me, it's night and day, and very rich sounding.

FYI....CA also has the 'Player' series version of some of their models...which are 'budget conscious' versions of the high end Performer series. They look similar, but are different. I haven't tried these in person, so I don't know if it is as different by comparison as a Celebrity and Adamas sound.
edensharvest
Posted 2007-12-22 11:37 PM (#73423 - in reply to #73377)

This should be fun...I just picked up the COT Dreadnought model, which should be pretty similar in setup to the bluegrass one. I'm really curious to see what the plugged/unplugged sound is like compared to my roundbacks and wood bodies.

I looked into that GX Performer when it first came out, just never could find a local dealer up here to try one at. (Rainsong is "the" carbon-fiber guitar of the NW, since they're based here in the Seattle area).

By the way, Jim, I didn't know you had an Avalon...exactly how many guitars DO you have? I spent a bit of time chatting with Roby Duke, one of their signature artists, back in November. Avalon's working on a signature model for him - kind of a blended cedar/mahogany concert body cutaway with a little deeper body depth, with the back sloped in more towards the neck than normal to provide a little more low end. They were talking about moving it to a 12-fret, which is always a good idea.

As Woody keeps telling me - "too may flavors..."
Mr. Ovation
Posted 2007-12-23 1:47 AM (#73424 - in reply to #73377)

Originally posted by Paul Templeman:
Cut a hole for the pre, don't cut a hole, use an external box, blah blah blah blah.... I think that as someone who has spent some 25-odd years attempting to get the best possible amplified acoustic sound, AT SERIOUS CONCERT VOLUME LEVELS (note the capitals. i.e not at your local open mike or coffeehouse or playing at home or whatever) then I think I may have some insight here.

If you think you can have a world-class great-sounding acoustic guitar, that will perform WITHOUT COMPROMISE when amplified at more than polite volume levels, then you are deluding yourselves, and you will continue to chase the "holy grail" and empty your bank balances at the next "lock and load" "18 Volt, high headroom, zero quack" "almost like a studio condenser microphone" "ES System" "acoustic imaging" "microphone modelling" or whatever system the manufacturers and magazines tell you you MUST buy.

I'm sure sometime in the future there may be a way to amplify a fine acoustic guitar at concert levels and still have it sound like an acoustic guitar without a worldclass $2000 a week engineer at the console, but right now there isn't.

So grab your Ovation, doesn't matter what preamp, just set it flat, plug it into a direct-box and into a REALLY GOOD, PROPERLY EQ'd PROFESSIONAL PA SYSTEM, hit a 1st-position G chord, nice and loud, and then tell me what's wrong with that sound.

Lecture over.
Yeah... what he said.

Also.. "projectile (human or mechanically powered)"

Obviously they had a spy at the last Ovation FanClub Factory happening. :(
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)