The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Got time to breathe, got time for music." --Briscoe Darling.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Specs for 1111-4

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Members Forums -> About my guitar...Message format

Pimpernel Smith
Posted 2015-10-29 8:08 PM (#516901)
Subject: Specs for 1111-4

Greetings All:

I have a model 1111-4, SN: 005847 that I recently acquired, in excellent shape. Funny that in the 42 years that have passed since I last owned one of these that it's like new- while I seem to have aged. Dorian Gray's guitar, I suppose.

I'm wondering what the radius of the fret board is, and what is the radius of the saddle?. First, I'd like to purchase a capo that properly matches the fret board. I'm thinking of a Shubb. Should I be looking at a flat profile or a rounded one?

Also, what strings work well for these guitars? I put on a set of Martin SP .012s which sound good to me. I like the ringing brightness of the instrument.

Being that I've played bass, and little guitar in that time, I'm finding fingering at the first fret a little difficult in a barred F formation. Bass uses slightly different finger muscles, and you don't arch your fingers nearly so much. I'm used to Django, gypsy-type chords and some John Lennon style chords from his early days with the Beatles.

It has only a tail guitar strap button, so I guess it's heresy to put a strap on it in any way other than attaching it with a lace under the strings on the head. Is that best for balance and to prevent rolling?

Any suggestions are welcome.
Thank you.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
SOBeach
Posted 2015-10-30 9:18 PM (#517954 - in reply to #516901)
Subject: RE: Specs for 1111-4

Hi & welcome,

Some 1111-4 OFCers will prob'ly chime in eventually. In the meantime ya might find some answers and insights within the archive posts.

here's a link to a search for 1111-4

Pimpernel Smith -  Dorian Gray's guitar, I suppose.

I know how ya feel.  ...plus a few years   

Mark in Boise
Posted 2015-10-31 11:27 AM (#517976 - in reply to #516901)
Subject: Re: Specs for 1111-4

I don't know the radius. A Shubb with a curve will work fine and the Martin SP D'Addario 12s are what I use. Barring an F-chord is always tough. There should have been a strap button. Look for a hole in the bowl.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)