The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "It's much too late to do anything about rock & roll now ..." - Jerry Garcia / Grateful Dead

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
NNS778-9 Nakao Nature Series @ the Mini-Mother

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Members Forums -> About my guitar...Message format

arumako
Posted 2015-07-16 11:48 AM (#513506)
Subject: NNS778-9 Nakao Nature Series @ the Mini-Mother

This past spring, a friend of mine asked me if I'd take a look at his Nakao Elite. He had just purchased a Martin DRS-1 and really liked it. He was contemplating getting rid of the Nakao! Although I talked him out of it, I sure wasn't the one to perform the repair on such a nice and sought after O. With the Mother Ship gone (not anymore!), nobody in Japan was willing to touch an O for anything other then general work like nuts, bridge saddles and frets.

Neither of us thought that O USA was really going to be gone for long; and so, we decided to wait it out. Well just as news of O USA's Independence Day resurrection was resonating around the world, I had to take a short trip to the good 'ol USA. I packed light and grabbed my friends Nakao and headed for Narita. My itinerary was intense, and the only opportunity to get out of the airport and ship the guitar to NH was in my port of entry, Portland. So, I caught a cab to the Fed-Ex location just outside of PDX. They didn't have a box that fit the deep bowl O case; but since I couldn't miss my flight out to O'hare, I taped up the case, and shipped it without a box! I know...bad, bad, idea...so, I prayed and prayed and prayed...

Today, I got word that the guitar arrived at the Mother Ship in good shape! Oh yes! Thank you God! I'll be back in the States for four days in August. Mr. Budny thinks he'll be able to get it to my CA address in time for a hand carry back to Japan! Man I can't wait to play the Nakao when it's all fixed up! So here's some "before" pics...

handwritten label

Love these handwritten labels!

Crack in the top

My friend's daughters used the guitar as a slide...ouch...cracking the top and jarring the soundboard loose from the bowl!

serial number

Serial Number puts her in the 1996 production runs...

Full view

Even with the cracked top and severed bowl, she's a beauty, but she's lost her resonance and sustain. I can't wait until Mr. Budny and the folks at the Mini Mother restore her to her intended magnificence! Oh, you know, on the way into Portland, I saw a dream that I visited OMA...no kidding! His residence was filled with every kind of Ovation imaginable. Lol! Sure would be cool to join one of your O gatherings over there one of these days.

Edited by arumako 2015-07-16 11:51 AM
Top of the page Bottom of the page
BanjoJ
Posted 2015-07-17 12:19 AM (#513531 - in reply to #513506)
Subject: RE: NNS778-9 Nakao Nature Series @ the Mini-Mother

I hope the repair goes well - but then we all know that Mr Budny and co do stellar work.

I'll look forward to the pics when you get it back.
DetlefMichel
Posted 2015-07-17 4:05 AM (#513535 - in reply to #513506)
Subject: Re: NNS778-9 Nakao Nature Series @ the Mini-Mother

I recently bought a ´82 collector´s Ovation in very bad shape, but I love these A-braced heavy guitars and I send it to John Budny. What I got back was a better-than-new intrument, you would not believe it that this was a mess of a guitar before. Neverthless the guitar still has the vintage feel, they left as much material in the original state as possible.(English is not my first language, it´s hard to express). I´m completely sure that you will be just as exctited as I was when I got the guitar back, these guys perform magic on guitars.
tpa
Posted 2015-07-17 5:02 PM (#513555 - in reply to #513506)

You are a good friend, arumako.
Nancy
Posted 2015-07-17 9:49 PM (#513560 - in reply to #513555)

What a Wonderful thing to do for your Friend!!!

You will have to post pics when you get it back home, I am sure it will be Amazing!!!
John & The Boys fixed my Nakao, and it is Incredible!!! And my Big Red too!
They look brand New!!!

P.S. The handwritten Script on that Label Is Beautiful!!!!

Edited by Nancy 2015-07-17 9:50 PM
arumako
Posted 2015-07-19 8:58 AM (#513585 - in reply to #513506)

Thanks for the encouragement BanjoJ, DetlefMichel, and Nancy! I've seen a lot of the pics you all shared of your restored beauties on the OFC, and I'm just following suit! Thanks for showing me The Way! I'll definitely post pics when I get her back!
arumako
Posted 2015-08-22 8:58 AM (#514611 - in reply to #513506)

Back in Japan with my friend's "Mini Mother restored" Nakao Elite. You all knew this would happen, but I am just thoroughly impressed and deeply grateful to Mr. Budny and his crew for restoring this beautiful guitar!

Whole Shot

There are no signs of her previous condition. Mr. Budny said that the guitar was 98% new, but I am here to tell you that she sounds better than she ever has, and she even smells like she's brand new...

no crack

...not even the slightest indication that the soundboard had cracked or broken loose from the bowl. Mr. Budny said, they removed the neck, bridge and epaulets, reglued the soundboard to the bowl, repaired the crack, sanded the whole top lightly to even out the finish, and then re-sprayed the clear coat...

new epaulets

They obviously replaced the old epaulets with new ones...

beautiful back

...and even sprayed the back with new black paint. All the little bitty dings and scratches are no where to be found.

headstock

I'm pretty sure they buffed the headstock as well...

sideshot

...just squeaky clean all around!

body shot

The price for all this tender loving care was on the slightly lower side of reasonable, and the care and detail they put into the restoration is IMHO industry leading. Just immaculate Service. To top it off, Mr. Budny and gang finished the work in time for the hand carry back to Japan. I'll post a video of how she sounds in a couple of days, but her resonance and sustain are just unbelievable. So rich is her resonance that she looks like she'll start singing just by looking at her!

Okay, so you can tell I'm excited. I can't wait to return her to her rightful owner. She is just going to blow him away! Thank you Mr. Budny, Mike and Sherwood! Over 115 years of combined experience, and boy does it show! You guys are the best!

Edited by arumako 2015-08-22 9:01 AM
SOBeach
Posted 2015-08-22 12:56 PM (#514621 - in reply to #513506)

Awesome!  Keep it away from lil' miss-adventure.

Geostorm98
Posted 2015-08-24 6:56 AM (#514671 - in reply to #513506)

Excellent guitar, congrats on getting it all taken care of.
Nancy
Posted 2015-08-24 5:45 PM (#514702 - in reply to #514671)

INCREDIBLE!!!!

John & Crew are the BEST there are!!!
That Guitar looks like brand new!!! Amazing!!!!!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclub™ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)