The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "It's much too late to do anything about rock & roll now ..." - Jerry Garcia / Grateful Dead

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Best Clearcoat?

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Member Communities -> Bottom Feeding Luthiery GuildMessage format

Lonnie
Posted 2015-07-08 8:00 AM (#513231)
Subject: Best Clearcoat?

What is the best off the shelf "Rattle Can" clearcoat to use on a 1980 model 1617 top? I sealed the cracks with super glue, and am now sanding the entire top. This guitar is a beater I got for cheap, so I'm not looking for a factory finish or shine, mainly just wanted to seal the cracks, and well... I got carried away.

Aslo, I need to remove the sounhole trim ring, any suggestions on how to remove it without damaging it?

Top of the page Bottom of the page
seesquare
Posted 2015-07-08 10:00 AM (#513238 - in reply to #513231)
Subject: Re: Best Clearcoat?

I have never had much success removing the trim ring. Figure, you will be replacing it. As for the rattle-can, I have used Deft high-gloss lacquer, with some success. Make sure the air is absolutely still, nothing to stir it up, and level the top, in both directions, so it is absolutely flat. Of course, mask off anything you don't want to be shiny, too! Then, wait a full 2 weeks, before you touch the finish. Be real careful with any buffing. The finish will not be that thick, either.
Lonnie
Posted 2015-07-08 10:32 AM (#513240 - in reply to #513231)

seesquare,
Thanks for the input. I have used the Deft high-gloss before, but never on a guitar. I assumed removing the trim ring will be a challenge, so I will plan to replace it. I plan on 2 light coats, I don't want a thick finish as it may mute the sound.
2 weeks..? wow, must work on my patience.
seesquare
Posted 2015-07-08 6:04 PM (#513257 - in reply to #513240)

I'm referring to doing anything to the finish coat. Takes awhile to harden up the lacquer. You can be gentle, & play the critter, before then, but be careful with restringing.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)