The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "I've always felt that blues, rock 'n' roll and country are just about a beat apart."-Waylon Jennings

Jump to page : 12
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Dumb Question - Sustain? How Long is Long Enough

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2007Message format

FlySig
Posted 2007-12-02 11:38 PM (#72614 - in reply to #72589)
Subject: Re: Dumb Question - Sustain? How Long is Long Enough

LBJ, tightening the truss rod will lower that action. The question is whether the neck will have enough relief so that it won't buzz if you tighten the truss rod.

You probably already know this, but if you don't, here's a brief intro to adjusting the action. http://mysite.verizon.net/jazz.guitar/guitarsetup.htm#Truss%20Rod%2... is one website that I like.

If you hold a string down at the 13th fret and the 1st fret, there should be a very very slight gap between the string and the 6th fret. Just enough to detect. If you can see daylight, there is too much relief in the neck. If the string touches the fret, there isn't enough relief. Different internet sources say .010 to .013 inches is how much of a gap there should be there. In metric that would be .254 to .330 mm.

Once the neck is adjusted, then you can tell if the saddle height needs adjustment by measuring the height of the strings at the 12th fret.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
LBJ
Posted 2007-12-03 12:40 AM (#72615 - in reply to #72589)

holding string on the 13th and first fret i have about 0,8mm gap on 6th fret (pick can't get between string and fret) I can't lower action any more on this guitar because i have a bump on the neck on 16th fret.
The lowest action i've ever seen on a guitar was on a Maton Tommy Emmanuel model, there was only slightly more than 1 mm at 12 fret and it was so incredible that string didn't buzz (ofcourse if you'd strum hard enough it would buzz, but playing "normal way" didn't create any noises)
tragocaster
Posted 2007-12-03 2:18 PM (#72616 - in reply to #72589)

I've noticed a big difference in sustain between my two deep bowls (Matrix and Legend) compared to my SS Celebrity, which has the least sustain of the three guitars. It is annoying sometimes, but not real bad. I can cope with it.

Perhaps there is a tendency of a lack of sustain with Ovations in general when compared with other makes? I dunno, but a side by side comparison would be interesting.
LBJ
Posted 2007-12-03 2:33 PM (#72617 - in reply to #72589)

Celebrity LE 2002 i owned had incredible sustain. I don't know what was the reason of it, but it after strumming it i could go, make a tea and when i get back there would still be echo in bowl ringing.
Also, Crafter ED-50 CEQ i had, sustained much longer than this legend... But that doesn't mean that it sounded better.
tragocaster
Posted 2007-12-04 7:38 PM (#72618 - in reply to #72589)

I guess I'm not referring to it's natural acoustic sustain, rather the sustaining of a fretted note. It just seems to be near banjo-like (pardon the expression). I can work with it though. I'm not complaining.
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)