The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now." - Jol Dantzig

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
top/bowl replacement on 69 12 string

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2007Message format

Thanksforallthefish
Posted 2007-11-29 4:27 PM (#72514)
Subject: top/bowl replacement on 69 12 string

well, I didn't think it was in as bad shape as the crew at the factory do... and it was/is playable and sounds nice as is, tho is pretty scarred... anyway upon inspection and evaluation they found it with a low neck angle and are recommending:

replace top/bowl assembly (reissue shiny bowl)

replace bridge (walnut winged) maybe I can get it in 5-point?

replace rosette (mop)

level and dress frets, adjust and set action, and restring and play test.

so looks like it will be a new reissue 12 string shiny bowl with a re-furbished vintage neck and tuners..

or I can keep it as-is and eat the shipping...

even after the repairs, basically making it into a new guitar I'll still have a deal in my opinion.. I should have a few more years with it for the new top to open up.

I guess I'll have the estimate on the 1537 in a day or so...

Hey Jim? you want a shiny bowl to go with your other one for the lamp project? now you can make a pair. :D

Glenn
Top of the page Bottom of the page
moody, p.i.
Posted 2007-11-29 5:20 PM (#72515 - in reply to #72514)
Subject: Re: top/bowl replacement on 69 12 string

Glenn,

If they do a new top and bowl, you might consider going with an A braced top. In my never humble opinion, the sound is much better (warmer), that the fan braced top. I've played 3 old slothead 12's with A braced tops, and all have been outstanding.....
Thanksforallthefish
Posted 2007-11-29 5:47 PM (#72516 - in reply to #72514)

Thanks Paul,
I am looking at all available configurations now since I probably "have my choice" tho at varied price levels depending on options chosen.

also thinking about a thinline pickup and endpin out ala FD14 at this point if they'll do it for me.

as soon as I can catch John or Kim for a few minutes on the phone to discuss it and seal the deal..

I really hope that they can do the 1537 without replacing the top/bowl, but if not.... it will still be done if the factory deems it so... it's gonna need a neck plane/refret as well.

at least I'm getting them warmed up for more re-issue work...if Ovation/Fender are going to think about any..

Sorry Cliff.. but Fender does like to do those and sells a few of them..

anyway looks like I'll have 2 vintage restorations/reissues or whatever you want to call them for about the price of a New Legend LX

a new/old 1537 and a new/old shiny 12

Glenn
Thanksforallthefish
Posted 2007-11-30 1:56 PM (#72517 - in reply to #72514)

Talked with Kim today... says an A brace will fold up on me eventually(but would sound good till it did) and they wouldn't guarantee the work.. so it's getting a fan-braced shiny bowl/top, new rosette, new bridge, and cp, level and dress..

The 1537 while in worse shape, physically and top-wise..but is actually going to cost about 100 less than the 1115 for the restoration.. since they are not replacing the bowl.

since Christmas is coming and Holiday/New Years breaks/shutdowns coming up... they'll probably be done sometime just before my Birthday..

Kim also said that they were a little slow in the restoration/repair area and could handle a few more here at years end... before the new pricing or any changes go into effect...

get your RMA #s now and send your babies in.

Glenn
CrimsonLake
Posted 2007-11-30 3:04 PM (#72518 - in reply to #72514)

Took your advice Glenn - I'm sending the Custom Balladeer in for a "refresh". I'll post more details when it gets there and they have a look at it.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)