|The Ovation Fan Club|
|Random quote: "Got time to breathe, got time for music." --Briscoe Darling.|
| Ovation Guitars that Should be Made in 2011|
|View previous thread :: View next thread|
|Members Forums -> Ovation Electric Guitars||Message format|
|Interesting on a blog: http://guitarsthatshouldbemade.blogspot.com/2011/04/ovation-guitars... |
Monday, 18 April 2011
Ovation Guitars that Should be Made
OK..My first rant is about Ovation Guitars. Amazing guitars with a very Non-Traditional History, but what I want is the Solid Body or Semi Hollows made again.
* First the Pickups.....because Fender (who Owns KMC - who Owns Ovation) also own D'Armond Trademark......they could create D'Armond Pickups for these guitars, based on the Fender Seth Lover Humbuckers to give a brighter top end, but still with higher output.
* Acoustic Sounds - Also a Peizo System, but using the large individual Crystal Piezo's as in the USA Ovation Acoustics. This creates a bigger sound, and any does not effect the volume of the strings using any Alt Tuning or De-tuning.
* The neck - should be a set neck- not Bolt on like the originals
*Colour - that Natural Ash with Gold or Nickel Hardware (inc Bigsby) Looks great very Retro very 70's.
* Pickup mounts - not that black plastic....looks Clunky change it to a Nickel or Brass
* Trem - the German made Trems on the original do also look Clunky and very 60's. A new Bigsby with the Wire arm like on the Epiphone Swingster would be very usable.
* Have some Pickup Options - Humbucking Type Pickups, 2 P-90 Voiced Single Coils, and the P-90 Voice Neck with Humbucking Bridge would be Great.
* Have the Pizeo Control as a Push Pull Pot on the Tone....too many mini Toggles on this sort of guitar would look wrong.
* Lets look at some of the older models that should be tweaked to create the new version. Ovation Thunderhead, Ovation Hurricane.
Pictures to follow or just google Ovation Thunderhead and you will see them, with a bit of modern tweak (ie the Pickups) and control knobs.
These would be cool, and give something new in Semi Hollow guitars - a different voice and something not in the FMIC or KMC stable of Fine Guitars they have at the moment (except a few Hamers- they do have semi Hollows and Hamer is a KMC brand - Great Guitars BTW - especially the USA Models)
|Mark in Boise|
Location: Boise, Idaho
|I always thought the correct fit would have been to abandon Fender's acoustic guitars, capitalize on Hamer's reputation for the high end and scrap the Hamer Slammer and offshore Hamers and then concentrate on the Ovation, Guild and Takamine acoustics. Dantzig liked Fender Strats and Teles, but was smart enough not to try to build imitations. There was a lot of potential with Fender, but they just blew it.|
Location: Jet City
|*Have some Pickup Options* |
hot swappable... original spec UKII pups are a must, could do similar electronics, but with better volume pots (i'm not fond of the taper on the UKII pots)
*Pizeo Control as a Push Pull Pot on the Tone*
hex pickup option for synth
*Lets look at some of the older models that should be tweaked to create the new version*
Ultra GP/PF22ish with nice finish work, O headstock, O feel on the neck
Some folks like a bolt on, so maybe a second solid model more like the Tele/UKII feel. Similar options
|I didn't write it but stumbled across this looking for more info on Hurricanes. |
Life would be shallow without a few windmills.
I have always found that even if not capable, simplistic, or with no potential thoughts, it often is the catalyst to think 'outside of the box'.
Beal said "scream Ovation"...a basis for both the acoustic and possibly electrics. I take it further to  separate from off-shore,  challenge previous misconceptions by potential buyers and dealers,  confidence of dealers,  get 'floor space' (or wall) in stores,  guitars in the hands of artists,  active PR to industry writers and mags, as well as sales materials and displays for dealers,  NAMM and guitar shows, etc., etc..
Introduce a new product or brand, there is a narrow window.
Edited by Tony Calman 2015-05-05 4:24 PM
|Jump to page : 1 |
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
|Search this forum|
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
|This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.|
|(Delete all cookies set by this site)|