The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: “Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and charm and gaiety to life and to everything.” -Plato

Jump to page : < ... 345678 9 1011>
Now viewing page 9 [25 messages per page]
A few words from DW

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Members Forums -> General PostingMessage format

xraiderman
Posted 2015-05-08 10:09 PM (#510008 - in reply to #510002)
Subject: Re: A few words from DW

Thanks for the detailed message
Top of the page Bottom of the page
stephent28
Posted 2015-05-08 10:32 PM (#510009 - in reply to #508965)

I have a custom pair of 6/12 longneck Adamas that have contour bowls and an original slot head with a deep bowl. I find them both equally comfortable to play.

I have noticed that for me, a deep bowl which is approximately the same size as a dread is much easier to play than a true wood dread...which has a tendency to make my shoulder ache.

Edited by stephent28 2015-05-08 10:33 PM
TAFKAR
Posted 2015-05-08 10:45 PM (#510010 - in reply to #508965)

I have two contour bowls and love them. Also have two deep bowls and previously owned a medium bowl.

What makes the best Ovations? Contour or deep bowl, textured top for Adamas, suspended ring bowl attachment, hand-laid fibreglass bowl and U.S. craftsmanship.

Would be really interesting to see if a Q (or at least a carbon fibre bowl Adamas) could be made for a non-outrageous price, given how much CF technology has advanced since the Q was made.
Patch
Posted 2015-05-08 11:46 PM (#510011 - in reply to #508965)
Subject: RE: A few words from DW

I've owned several contour bowls and still have one. I  like them fine, but I've been playing deep bowls for a long time now and find they fit me just fine, even moreso than the contour does. It's probably just what I'm used to more than anything else, as many others around here have raved about the contours.

BTW, I plan on keeping my last contour bowl. It's one of Al's 14-fret LAV Koas. In fact it's #1 of that very limited run.

Edited by Patch 2015-05-08 11:48 PM
MusicMishka
Posted 2015-05-09 2:49 AM (#510013 - in reply to #508965)

I currently own 5 deep or SS Bowl Ovation/Adamas guitars and am caretaking/refurbishing 14 others which include many vintage Ovations of different original bowls and several contour bowl Ovations. I owned several contour bowl Adamas including a 2008 Collectors Adamas and a 2080Blackburst OFC 2 Adamas. The fact that I have owned and played Ovation/Adamas for 43 years including over 28 years of live performing is due to the sound and reliability of the instruments. Even before I became a Keyman Endorsee in the 80's I took pride in explaining to the audience members the facts behind the Roundback guitars I played. People would come up to the stage on a near nightly basis asking about the guitars...whether it was the Pacemaker 12 string or later, my Elites, they loved them and wanted to know about these guitars that were so unconventional. I took the time to answer their questions because I was passionate about them myself...I still am. Ever since I saw my first Ovation sitting on a guitar stand up behind the counter of a music store in Columbus, Ohio in 1966...Ovation/Adamas is an American Icon...it must go on, it must re-emerge as it nears its 50th Anniversary...I am certain it is destined to do that...and I plan to continue to tell its story as well that I can. Thanks Xraiderman and DW for sharing that passion and vision!
Guitsome
Posted 2015-05-09 5:30 AM (#510014 - in reply to #508965)

"New" contour bowl?

My 2771LX has a contour bowl and I like it. I don't have a problem with the deep bowl either though.
danomyte
Posted 2015-05-09 5:39 AM (#510015 - in reply to #508965)

I own a couple of contour bowls as well and feel the same in that the bowl feels very comfortable to the body and tad easier to play than a standard deep bowl, however the sound doesn't project or sound nearly as good as the standard deep bowl. It's nice to have options though.
Nancy
Posted 2015-05-09 9:05 AM (#510019 - in reply to #510013)

MusicMishka - 2015-05-09 2:49 AM

...Even before I became a Keyman Endorsee in the 80's I took pride in explaining to the audience members the facts behind the Roundback guitars I played. People would come up to the stage on a near nightly basis asking about the guitars...whether it was the Pacemaker 12 string or later, my Elites, they loved them and wanted to know about these guitars that were so unconventional. I took the time to answer their questions because I was passionate about them myself...I still am. Ever since I saw my first Ovation sitting on a guitar stand up behind the counter of a music store in Columbus, Ohio in 1966...Ovation/Adamas is an American Icon...it must go on, it must re-emerge as it nears its 50th Anniversary...I am certain it is destined to do that...and I plan to continue to tell its story as well that I can. Thanks Xraiderman and DW for sharing that passion and vision!

***Standing Ovation to MusicMishka***

I believe this is how passionate each and everyone of us here are about these Guitars, the History, the People, the Music. We *really* want DW to succeed in every aspect of this re-launch.
Slipkid
Posted 2015-05-09 9:06 AM (#510020 - in reply to #510015)

I owned a contour bowl for a while. Would not hesitate to buy another.
The traditional deep bowl might have an edge on tone and projection but I don't think the difference is a real factor. Reminds me of chasing after the perfect set of golf clubs.
It's more about the player and his technique. Remember the factory tour when Matt Smith played his take on "Love the One Your With"? With all the high end guitars within arms reach, he chose an EliteT... the low end of the USA made models.... and made it RING!
As much as I am fan of the deep bowl and all it's history it's my guess is that it will be the contour bowl for the near future. I don't think we'll ever have that wide choice of bowl styles again.
sidebar:
Hey Waskel... maybe you could post that Matt Smith / EliteT video?

DanSavage
Posted 2015-05-09 9:36 AM (#510023 - in reply to #509997)

xraiderman - 2015-05-08 5:58 PM

How many of you have actually seen or played the new contour bowl?

I own a 2078TX-5 with a contour bowl. It also features the LX braces. It's a good sounding combination. Deep rich bass with clear mid-tones and ringing trebles.

The contour bowl is comfortable to play, either sitting down or standing up, but like all Ovations they are more stable to play standing up when the strap button is located on the upper treble bout instead of the upper bass bout.

I have had to move the strap button from the bass bout to the treble bout on a few of my Os because the guitar wants to slide out from under my right arm when played using a strap while standing up.

Dan
DanSavage
Posted 2015-05-09 9:41 AM (#510024 - in reply to #510013)

MusicMishka - 2015-05-09 12:49 AM

...1966...Ovation/Adamas is an American Icon...it must go on, it must re-emerge as it nears its 50th Anniversary...I am certain it is destined to do that...and I plan to continue to tell its story as well that I can. Thanks Xraiderman and DW for sharing that passion and vision!

Yes, it would be great to see a really special 50th Anniversary Collector's Edition Ovation emerge.
Waskel
Posted 2015-05-09 9:51 AM (#510025 - in reply to #510020)

Brad Durasa - 2015-05-09 7:06 AM

It's more about the player and his technique. Remember the factory tour when Matt Smith played his take on "Love the One Your With"? With all the high end guitars within arms reach, he chose an EliteT... the low end of the USA made models.... and made it RING!
As much as I am fan of the deep bowl and all it's history it's my guess is that it will be the contour bowl for the near future. I don't think we'll ever have that wide choice of bowl styles again.
sidebar:
Hey Waskel... maybe you could post that Matt Smith / EliteT video?

Ask and it shall be given.

https://youtu.be/YgfUFy6EqJw

Edited by Waskel 2015-05-09 10:00 AM
Mr. Ovation
Posted 2015-05-09 10:08 AM (#510028 - in reply to #508965)

I like the coutour a lot. I have it on my 2080 (OFCII) and I've played others. I think it is brilliant. I never had an issue with an Ovation "rolling off my leg" based on the way I play, but there is something that just feels better about the contour bowl.
FlySig
Posted 2015-05-09 10:32 AM (#510032 - in reply to #508965)

A long time ago, someone here posted the solution to the problem of an Ovation rolling skyward while playing. I was hugging the guitar with my right elbow. As soon as I relaxed, the problem went away.

I prefer the way an Ovation does roll ever so slightly up compared to a square wood box when I want it to. It makes it easier to look at my hands. The contour bowl prevents this, and I prefer to play the contour bowl sitting rather than standing.

This is the old "flavor of ice cream" debate. They're all great, just different.
CanterburyStrings
Posted 2015-05-09 10:32 AM (#510033 - in reply to #508965)

I have everything from deep bowls, deep shiny bowls, mid-depth, super shallow, AND contour bowl. I don't have trouble with any of them but then again, I have been playing O's since the very beginning. But there are people who come into my shop who complain that they roll. When I put a contour bowl in their hands they are pleased and amazed.

I'm not so sure that the contour bowl doesn't sound as deep and rich as the deep bowl. The 2007 collector's is as bass rich as any guitar I've played, and StephenT's longneck's with the contour bowls were so deep and loud they almost broke my windows. I really think from a marketing standpoint, contour bowl is the way to go.
Jonmark Stone
Posted 2015-05-09 11:01 AM (#510035 - in reply to #508965)

Played a few contours. After over 40+ years, prefer a bowl. Deep and mid, each have their place in my work. Don't really care for super shallows. Any performing situation that might call for a SSB, I'd use my EA-68.
And, of course, just my personal opinions.
stonebobbo
Posted 2015-05-09 12:26 PM (#510042 - in reply to #508965)

I'm a contour bowl fan. I've sold many of my traditional bowl guitars. I still have a few deep bowls, but much prefer the contour. As far as not sounding as rich or deep as traditional bowls, I'd flat out disagree with you. I recently had a guy come to my house to check out Ovations (he decided to buy his first Ovation and I was referred to him by some other musicians as the Ovation expert) and he without a doubt loved the contour and somewhat disliked the deep bowls. He decided that the 07BCS was the best guitar of all, including #49 which was a tad bright for his tastes. Lady Stonebobbo also consistently picks the 07BCS as my best sounding guitar, both acoustic and plugged in ... and I have some pretty fantastic guitars. But in the end, I have unique tastes in ice cream too.

On a side note, if DW is reading this, and you haven't already done so, you need to get Matt Smith onboard as your clinician/demo dog. Besides being a great guy, he loves Ovations and makes them simply come alive. You will never find a better person for the job.
Englishplayer
Posted 2015-05-09 12:34 PM (#510043 - in reply to #508965)

It sounds like I'm in the minority, but the more I play the more I like comfort while playing. I love the feel of the shallow bowl and the mid bowl. They are my "strummer" guitars. I've never found the deep bowl comfortable. And I only played a contour bowl once at a store for a few minutes so I really couldn't comment on that.
Tony Calman
Posted 2015-05-09 12:50 PM (#510045 - in reply to #508965)

Bobbo: "On a side note, if DW is reading this, and you haven't already done so, you need to get Matt Smith onboard as your clinician/demo dog. Besides being a great guy, he loves Ovations and makes them simply come alive. You will never find a better person for the job."

I agree...
Damon67
Posted 2015-05-09 2:31 PM (#510058 - in reply to #508965)

I liked the contour more when I was 70 lbs heavier. I've had a 2778LX, C2078LX 12 string, a 2080 Adamas, and still have a C2078LX 6 string. I would have went with a contour on my Artist, but couldn't find one and went with a mid.

I have more love for the deep bowl, but the contour is easier to play sitting. I've turned a good dozen or so local folks here into Ovation players. A couple of them finally made the jump because of the contour, so to each his own.

Currently I have 8 deep bowls, 4 SSB, 2 mids, 1 contour... and several solid bodies too. If I HAD to choose to eliminate one bowl size, for me it would be the mid. They lack in volume and are almost as big as a deep. A mid-depth 1778LX was my first acoustic Ovation (I've been playing the solid bodies for 30+ years). I loved it's playability, but when I went to play with my wood box guitar playing' friends, they'd drown me out, so I sold it eventually after buying the C2078LX

In re: SSBs, I wasn't a believer at first, but they are just so comfortable and easy to play. Sure I have an EA Viper too, but it has a different tone to it, not the same Ovation sound, even through my processors. I actually got rid of the C2078LX 12 string (A custom shop order), something I said I'd never do, after falling in love with my SSB 12. It plays better than most 6 strings from other manufacturers. I wouldn't play one all acoustic with a group, but for plugging in, they work for me.

elginacres
Posted 2015-05-09 3:34 PM (#510067 - in reply to #508965)

I own an OSH, a WT 12er with a contour bowl (never seen another)...an EA 63 Viper...all very different - I like them all...Damon - if I lose 80 lbs...I will report back out if there is a preference.
moody, p.i.
Posted 2015-05-09 6:25 PM (#510087 - in reply to #510042)

stonebobbo - 2015-05-09 10:26 AM

I'm a contour bowl fan. I've sold many of my traditional bowl guitars. I still have a few deep bowls, but much prefer the contour. As far as not sounding as rich or deep as traditional bowls, I'd flat out disagree with you. I recently had a guy come to my house to check out Ovations (he decided to buy his first Ovation and I was referred to him by some other musicians as the Ovation expert) and he without a doubt loved the contour and somewhat disliked the deep bowls. He decided that the 07BCS was the best guitar of all, including #49 which was a tad bright for his tastes. Lady Stonebobbo also consistently picks the 07BCS as my best sounding guitar, both acoustic and plugged in ... and I have some pretty fantastic guitars. But in the end, I have unique tastes in ice cream too.

On a side note, if DW is reading this, and you haven't already done so, you need to get Matt Smith onboard as your clinician/demo dog. Besides being a great guy, he loves Ovations and makes them simply come alive. You will never find a better person for the job.

Bobbo and I have played his 07C next to my 87C. Contour vs. Deep, X bracing vs. A. They sound remarkably similar, both great. And like his 07C, my 87C is probably the best sounding O that I have. The 1537 is more lively but not as balanced, and the 30thCL, while sounding great, hasn't opened up as much.

I prefer the deep bowl, but a lot of that is just that I'm used to it and have never played a contour all that much. I agree with a comment that Damon made about the mid depth bowls. They are good by themselves, but tend to get lost in a group setting with a lot of box guitars.......
Designzilla
Posted 2015-05-09 10:02 PM (#510100 - in reply to #508965)

I like the contour bowl on my 2007 Collectors, it's a great sounding and comfortable guitar. I also love the deep bowls though. I never got the slipping complaint. I also have a Country Artist with the mid depth bowl, and I like that too.
ProfessorBB
Posted 2015-05-10 8:31 AM (#510106 - in reply to #508965)

With several dozen custom, prototypes, or very limited run high end models, which I prefer over my other three dozen standard production models, my preferences and tastes run just short of extreme and really can't or shouldn't be considered when judging the general market. I would defer to experts like Al. My only other comment is that most acoustic guitar players are not professionals and are not going to be playing through an amp, nor standing or sitting in front of a microphone. While amplified sound and playing comfort is important to some (hence my preference for SSb's), neither should be emphasized at the expense of acoustic tone for most of the models sought by general consumers. After all, these basic deep bowl OM sized acoustic only models are the very guitars that attracted me to Ovation in the early 1970's.
2wheeldrummer
Posted 2015-05-10 7:42 PM (#510136 - in reply to #509934)

xraiderman - 2015-05-07 10:00 PM

Hi Ovation fan club!!!!

Hello xraiderman,if it hasn't been said enough were all grateful for you joining the forum and taking an interest in our opinions as you revive our beloved usa ovation guitars.

Let me ask a question that i'd think would be on many of our members minds,
Do you own any ovations and if so what's your favorite model?

I'm a deep bowl junkie,10 of my 12 ovations have a deep bowl with 2 mid-depth ones to round out the herd,my personal favorite is the custom legend 1769ADII Al Dimeola signature series,I haven't tried a contour bowl but a Custom Elite 2078 LX is on the list of guitars i would like to own.
Kevin
Jump to page : < ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 >
Now viewing page 9 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclub™ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)