The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "One good thing about music, when it hits you, you feel no pain." - Bob Marley

Jump to page : < 1 23456 ... >
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
A few words from DW

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Members Forums -> General PostingMessage format

Mr. Ovation
Posted 2015-04-18 7:15 AM (#508965)
Subject: A few words from DW

As I hinted in another thread, I have been in touch with folks from DW. Well, I have been somewhat cleared to reveal that it's not just anyone at DW but CEO Chris Lombardi. We've been exchanging emails and on his way back from Musikmesse yesterday once he hit LAX we spent nearly an hour and a half on the phone.

I'm still processing the details, some of which probably really shouldn't be on a public forum, but I think my first impressions are worth sharing.

After hearing his idea's and what he went through to get Ovation, and what DW is all about, I have this feeling that Ovation as a whole is getting a "reset" in time. The same idea's of building a quality product, being innovative, listening to the people that build and play the instruments, and focus on a quality product was like listening to John Budny, Kim Keller and Bill Kaman discuss how it was "back in the day" when Bill was running the show at Ovation.

A couple items of note. There are no "investment bankers" or the like involved. Ovation has been brought into the "family" as it were, as well as the other brands that were part of the deal such as Gretch, LP, etc.

An interesting comment about Takamine, as it was initially a possibility as part of the deal. A fine instrument, and certainly an easy money maker.... but... Takamine is not an instrument known for being hand crafted in the USA like DW drums are. Ovation was a match to their core values.

Regarding branding. The logo issue is getting a LOT of attention. And if anyone sees the logo on some of the paperwork/flyers in Germany... just ignor it and that's all I'll say on that. But, back to the topic, DW understands the seriousness of a Logo and branding. We agreed that the Fender O is NOT the way to go, but at the same time, the original logo needs an update. This was one of those "it feels like the brand is getting a reset" moments I had during the conversation. Chris explained to me the subtle but distinct differences in the DW logo's. (I hope I get this right, I didn't take notes) Essentially, black on white, white on black, and outlined. It's simple it's subtle, but if you know about it, you can tell everything you need to know about the drum set from across the room. He also saw Ovation as a "quality brand". Just like DW the least expensive DW kit is a QUALITY drum set, made with the same materials in the same place as the Highest end DW Kits. The "entry level" model... they have a different name PDP and they are priced as entry level and designed to be a little better than everyone else's entry level, but they are entry level. Sound familiar... like back in the day when Ovation was the quality name brand and Applause was a fine Instrument but it was the entry level model at the entry level price?

About the DW brand models... another "Ovation is getting a reset" moment. All of the price points of the DW models of Drums are made the same way, by the same people, in the same factory. So when someone buys a kit with the DW name on that tag, they know they are getting the same quality and workmanship from the same people that built the gorgeous Neil Peart drum sets like the "Time Machine" or the new "R40" kit built a few months ago. At the same time, and Chris acknowledged this is an ongoing challenge, when someone buys a PDP kit for a few hundred bucks (a DW kit starts as $1,500) it has to have enough quality and at least sound to make that bright-eyed kid maybe want to get a DW kit when they can. Again... Sound like a familiar plan from a guitar company we knew and loved about 20 years ago?

Chris knows what he got himself into. I detected notes of enthusiasm and excitement along with what-the-hell-did-I-get-myself into. He's got I believe three kids he's putting through college... he's motivated. But also, it was apparent, Fender was an equal opportunity offender. While we selfishly lament on the unspeakable things Fender did to our favorite instruments and our friends, they did those same, similar and maybe in some case worse things to the other brands that were under their umbrella as well. In any business transaction, be it buying a car or a house or a guitar, the seller is putting everything in the best light, and not saying a word about things that maybe they should say, but they fall under the category of "well, if they don't ask, we're not telling'em." Chris knows drums so he did fairly well of doing his part to counter the little "lies of omission" regarding the percussion brands. But he admittedly doesn't know guitars and he got bit in a few areas. It's part of business, and thankfully he has John, and Darren and a few others to help him out in CT.

When will we see guitars made in CT.. the answer is when they are built. And yes I typed CT as in Connecticut. California was the plan, but that plan changed, but there are some hurdles and they don't really involve that actual building of the guitars per say, but rather the paperwork and lawyers involved in building guitars, where they need to be built. On the other side, folks in Europe and Japan want guitars now. They want the import line, but they want better quality ones like they USED to be able to get from Ovation. You know, like I mentioned above... those entry level guitars that were nice guitars for the money?

I'm sure I'll think of some other things we talked about, like the open house when they get things up and running (don't tell Al) and a few other tidbits, but it was a nice chat. I'm sure if I repeated anything I shouldn't have I'll hear about soon enough. Oh yeah, there is that. Not only does the CEO of Ovation (I'm not sure he's actually used that title yet but I digress.. ) Chris has been reading these forums for awhile now. In his words we have it all, the good and the bad, but it's all here. But he's not the only one. As Patch noted in another thread, there are others reading as well. And I can assure you, it's more of a homework assignment than a curiosity. They have to start building guitars, and while some of the folks that have been building them all along are involved, it's all hands on deck to learn, incorporate and innovate.

The next few years will be an interesting time for Ovation.

Top of the page Bottom of the page
Patch
Posted 2015-04-18 7:25 AM (#508966 - in reply to #508965)
Subject: RE: A few words from DW

I can confirm everything in this, yet another hopeful, thread. But Miles had a little more clearance to divulge details than I did.

I especially wanted to pass on the tidbit about wanting the guitars to be built in CT. But was politely asked to keep that on the down-low until all the details could be worked out.

The only thing I feel comfortable saying with certainty is that DW is VERY SERIOUS about getting Ovation guitars up and running again in a good way.

Thanks for the update Miles. Keep'em coming DW!

AdamasW597
Posted 2015-04-18 8:37 AM (#508967 - in reply to #508965)
Subject: Re: A few words from DW

Great! (sigh of relief)
seesquare
Posted 2015-04-18 8:45 AM (#508968 - in reply to #508965)

Hoo-boy. A lot to digest. Posterity. I am hopeful, too, for the return of Ovation & Adamas guitars, though the realization & reality of a new instrument, in my hands, may be at the edge-of-the-envelope for my musical endeavors, & perhaps many of The Membership. Youth to be served, certainly. I suppose, though, "quality will out". We want The Old Magic, and that's what DW is aiming for, given their reconceptualization & reformulation, for a quality product.
Here's to The Future!
Nancy
Posted 2015-04-18 10:21 AM (#508970 - in reply to #508965)

Thank you SO much Miles!!! This is the Best Possible News!
Thank You for sharing it with us!! What a Great way to start the new day!

I am going to start saving my pennies, and selling not-so-gently-used body parts to save up for one of these New Ovations (did he mention anything about a Custom Shop?) Time to put my money where my mouth is, and start saving to help support our Brand and DW!

Having just finished the History of Ovation book, it is going to be something to watch the Company go back to what it was, and can be again. See the new history made, a new book written with the Ovation/Adamas created in the US CT again! Who says You Can't Go Home?

This is the Best News I have heard in aeons! Thank You Mr. Ovation!!

P.S. DW, Thank You for listening to us, and giving us our Guitars back! We wish you the Best of Luck in your new Enterprise, and are supporting you in your endeavors with Ovation/Adamas USA CT!! YES!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by naellis58 2015-04-18 10:35 AM
arumako
Posted 2015-04-18 11:54 AM (#508974 - in reply to #508965)

Mr. Ovation & Patch, thanks for the update/verification! It is so nice (and healing) to hear that the DW team recognize the aesthetic, artistic and business viability of Ovation. But keeping the order pipeline filled while improving Asian manufacturing quality AND rebuilding US production at CT is a tall order for any company. The prices of the new USA manufactured Os and As might be higher than any of us hoped for; but if DW's drums are any indication, the quality and craftsmanship will be well worth the wait and the pennies.

I can't wait to see what comes off the US production lines. I can't wait to visit my local music stores to see USA Os & As displayed with Martins, Taylors and whatever brand guitars...I'll certainly play them all (trying out guitars at the music store is just sheer fun), BUT I already know which one I'm gonna buy...well, hopefully the A, but depending on how much I've got saved up maybe the O. Either way, somehow, I know I'm not going to be disappointed. Good news indeed!

Edited by arumako 2015-04-18 11:56 AM
marenostrum
Posted 2015-04-18 12:39 PM (#508975 - in reply to #508965)

Thanks for sharing this information. I'm more then happy to read about DW plan for Ovation.
moody, p.i.
Posted 2015-04-18 5:31 PM (#508979 - in reply to #508965)

Hey Miles, tell Chris to go back thru the archives. There's priceless information in there........
seesquare
Posted 2015-04-18 6:07 PM (#508981 - in reply to #508965)

Yeah, Paul. You're right. I just don' wanna drive, lookin' in the rear-view mirror. Tradition & culture don't pay the bills.
seesquare
Posted 2015-04-18 6:09 PM (#508982 - in reply to #508965)

OOPS! Probably wrong Chris.
sorry......
FlySig
Posted 2015-04-18 8:58 PM (#508988 - in reply to #508974)

arumako - 2015-04-18 10:54 AM
The prices of the new USA manufactured Os and As might be higher than any of us hoped for; but if DW's drums are any indication, the quality and craftsmanship will be well worth the wait and the pennies.

We got spoiled with the silly low prices of the LX guitars in the mid 2000's. Really, a new USA built LX could be had for $700! Word was the factory was losing money on every USA built guitar. Comparable guitars from other manufacturers were going for 2x to 4x the price.
FlySig
Posted 2015-04-18 8:59 PM (#508989 - in reply to #508965)

If Connecticut doesn't work out for some reason, Utah is a great place to put a manufacturing facility....
Standingovation
Posted 2015-04-18 11:06 PM (#508993 - in reply to #508965)

Miles, thanks for the great update and keeping the OFC tribe well informed.
arumako
Posted 2015-04-19 8:07 AM (#508995 - in reply to #508988)

FlySig - 2015-04-18 10:58 AM

arumako - 2015-04-18 10:54 AM
The prices of the new USA manufactured Os and As might be higher than any of us hoped for; but if DW's drums are any indication, the quality and craftsmanship will be well worth the wait and the pennies.

We got spoiled with the silly low prices of the LX guitars in the mid 2000's. Really, a new USA built LX could be had for $700! Word was the factory was losing money on every USA built guitar. Comparable guitars from other manufacturers were going for 2x to 4x the price.

Hard to believe that LXs were selling for such low prices! That's gotta be poor (or no) marketing strategy on Fxxxxxs part and poor retailing strategy on the part of companies like GC and other volume retailers. Somewhat akin to an insult if you think about it. I mean, I love good deals as much as the next guy, but losing money every time you sell a guitar...that's "silly" indeed. Let's not go there again!

Edited by arumako 2015-04-19 8:08 AM
FlySig
Posted 2015-04-19 9:52 AM (#509001 - in reply to #508965)

My guess is they were chasing market share at any cost. That seems to be the modern American business model. Slash costs and build market share. Who cares if the cost-cutting means a crappy product, the customer won't notice the difference until after they've spent their money.

Towards the end there was a significant price increase on the US made guitars. Too late though to turn things around. By then they'd confused everyone as to what was Ovation, Celebrity, or Applause.
Waskel
Posted 2015-04-19 10:02 AM (#509003 - in reply to #508965)

During that period I bought 3 brand new LX models - 6778LX, 1777LX, 6758LX. Not one of them cost over $700. Insanity.

moody, p.i.
Posted 2015-04-19 10:24 AM (#509006 - in reply to #508965)

Over the years I have purchased 7 new Ovations. If the company comes out with a new, great model, I'd be thrilled to do it again.
TAFKAR
Posted 2015-04-19 4:39 PM (#509015 - in reply to #508965)

I'm two behind Moody. I'll feel honour bound to try and catch up.
AussieJames
Posted 2015-04-19 11:56 PM (#509022 - in reply to #508965)

This is great news!!

AJ
d'ovation
Posted 2015-04-20 12:58 AM (#509024 - in reply to #509006)

immoody - 2015-04-19 9:24 AM Over the years I have purchased 7 new Ovations. If the company comes out with a new, great model, I'd be thrilled to do it again.

You must have been very lucky, or was this very common? I thought that new LX sold for at least double that amount. Most used LX on eBay NOW sell above 700...

Designzilla
Posted 2015-04-20 8:36 AM (#509032 - in reply to #508965)

Great news, thanks Miles! It's great to hear DW is taking the time to do it right.

Some things are sure to change about the brand. They have to for Ovation to move forward. But DW really seems to share the core values of the original Ovation company and I trust them to make the right kind of changes to revive and revitalize the brand!

I am starting my new O GAS fund today, so I'm ready to support them with my wallet as well as my words!

Thanks Miles, thanks DW, and f@ck fender!
ProfessorBB
Posted 2015-04-20 8:56 AM (#509033 - in reply to #508965)

Thanks Patch and Miles for keeping us as informed. Sure appreciate it.
DanSavage
Posted 2015-04-20 9:50 AM (#509034 - in reply to #509001)

FlySig - 2015-04-19 7:52 AM

My guess is they were chasing market share at any cost. That seems to be the modern American business model. Slash costs and build market share. Who cares if the cost-cutting means a crappy product, the customer won't notice the difference until after they've spent their money.

No, that's the Walmart business model. With that business model, the price gets so low that the customer knows that if something breaks they can simply throw it away and buy another brand new one. Sort of like the $100 lawn mowers Wally sells. When it's that cheap you can use it for a season, then if it doesn't start in the spring you kick it out to the curb and go buy a brand new one.
Mark in Boise
Posted 2015-04-20 10:27 AM (#509038 - in reply to #508965)

I guess I've only bought 5 new Ovations, but I had a lot of catching up to do between 1977 and 2005, when I found this site. We had some people over this weekend and I showed them the guitar room before they left. 11 non-guitar players, including my wife, but they all seemed interested in the short history of Ovation, asking questions about the round backs, the multi-holes and the carbon fiber tops. Too bad I had too much wine and not enough practice lately to show them how great they sound.
Tony Calman
Posted 2015-04-20 11:29 AM (#509043 - in reply to #508965)

Sure hope that Al is a dealer.
Jump to page : < 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... >
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)