The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "I've always felt that blues, rock 'n' roll and country are just about a beat apart."-Waylon Jennings

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Question About the Configuration of the Saddle

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Members Forums -> About my guitar...Message format

JCAllison
Posted 2015-04-14 5:02 AM (#508813)
Subject: Question About the Configuration of the Saddle

Hey All,
Have been carefully and thoroughly perusing the configuration of the Saddle on "Shara", the 1972, 1285-5 Ovation Preacher Deluxe Twelve-String that is presently being discussed in the Introduction forum, and have had a question arise.

On Shara, it is apparent that the heavier Strings cross the Saddle further from the Nut than the lighter Strings. And the lighter Strings cross the Saddle closer to the Nut than the heavier Strings.

There is obviously a reason for this, but I haven't a clue as to why it is.

The question is: What is the reason for a heavier String being slightly LONGER than its lighter companion String?

Thanks in advance for responses and comments.

JC
Top of the page Bottom of the page
BanjoJ
Posted 2015-04-14 5:37 AM (#508815 - in reply to #508813)
Subject: RE: Question About the Configuration of the Saddle

From what I understand of your question, I believe you're asking about "compensation".

There are many people here who are more learned than I, but to quote from a website to which I was directed by someone here at OFC: "The bridge saddle location of the guitar, bass guitar, mandolin, ukulele and of most fretted instruments is moved a bit back from its nominal location. This change in location is called bridge saddle compensation. Without it, all fretted notes will play sharp to some extent, due to stretching of the string during fretting and also bending stiffness. Compensation effectively lengthens the string length of fretted notes. The longer string lengths make the pitch of the fretted notes flatter, thus compensating for the sharping effects."

http://liutaiomottola.com/formulae/compensation.htm

So what they are saying is that strings of different gauges have different characteristics as far as to how they play sharp when fretted.

Thanks to whomever here at OFC guided me to the above site.

JCAllison
Posted 2015-04-14 7:11 AM (#508820 - in reply to #508815)
Subject: RE: Question About the Configuration of the Saddle

BanjoJ - 2015-04-14 5:37 AM

From what I understand of your question, I believe you're asking about "compensation".

Hey Mr. B,
That is precisely true, but didn't know what the word for it was.

There are many people here who are more learned than I, but to quote from a website to which I was directed by someone here at OFC: "The bridge saddle location of the guitar, bass guitar, mandolin, ukulele and of most fretted instruments is moved a bit back from its nominal location. This change in location is called bridge saddle compensation. Without it, all fretted notes will play sharp to some extent, due to stretching of the string during fretting and also bending stiffness. Compensation effectively lengthens the string length of fretted notes. The longer string lengths make the pitch of the fretted notes flatter, thus compensating for the sharping effects."

http://liutaiomottola.com/formulae/compensation.htm

Have just read this website. Wondrous information. Incredible concepts.

So what they are saying is that strings of different gauges have different characteristics as far as to how they play sharp when fretted.

And you know what? Over the years that I have been playing guitar (I started in 1953), the phenomenon of strings playing sharp when fretted had been repeatedly noticed, and occasionally wondered about, but up until just a few minutes ago, after reading your post, and the site that you reference, the phenomenon had been a total mystery as I had not a clue about it. I instinctively KNEW that fretting a string sharpened the pitch, but hadn't any idea that there was a way to compensate for it, though I also instinctively KNEW that there must be some way, or there wouldn't be "adjustable" saddles.

Thanks to whomever here at OFC guided me to the above site.

And thanks to YOU, Banjo for guiding ME to the above site.

Take care,

JC
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)