The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Jazz... isn't that just a series of mistakes disguised as musical composition?” - David St. Hubbins of Spinal Tap

Jump to page : 12345
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
I heard from DRUM WORKS yesterday!

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Members Forums -> General PostingMessage format

Nancy
Posted 2015-04-09 5:15 PM (#508660 - in reply to #508659)
Subject: Re: I heard from DRUM WORKS yesterday!

SOBeach - 2015-04-09 5:00 PM

darkbarguitar - Not to be Mr poopy-pants, but...

no soup for you!

OMG I just snorted Mt Dew all over my screen and keyboard! LMBO!!!!!!!
Top of the page Bottom of the page
ProfessorBB
Posted 2015-04-10 8:20 AM (#508670 - in reply to #508621)

Way to go, Patch. It will take time. Looks like we'll have some great forum fodder for the future.
Standingovation
Posted 2015-04-10 9:03 AM (#508671 - in reply to #508621)

This will be great if it happens. Crossing fingers. Begs the question ... what potential did DW see in this that FMIC, Cordioba, etc did not. I guess time will tell.
CanterburyStrings
Posted 2015-04-10 9:47 AM (#508675 - in reply to #508621)

Well, Fender cares not a bit about putting out a quality product - only pumping out large numbers. And Cordoba is such a small company with experience in building wood boxes only that taking on Guild alone is going to be a challenge. But DW is a large enough company that they have the $ and manpower to expand, plus they are a company that puts quality first. I am sure they have done the research and realize that in its heyday, quality was what made Ovation great and what put O's in the hands of so many "stars". And with their philosophy and business model, it seems they believe they can resurrect Ovation and make it profitable.

And I agree with them.
Darkbar
Posted 2015-04-10 10:55 AM (#508676 - in reply to #508621)

They would need SOMEthing to focus on, other than the bowl, which doesn't really have much appeal to most players. And the electronics are good, but no better than many others. I'd focus on the neck, particularly the 5 piece neck. All future ad campaigns could feature prominent players, ranting about how fantastic the neck is, the shape of it, and the "playability factor", how it will improve YOUR playing, blah, blah, blah. It'll create the question in new guitar buyers as to "what's the deal with those Ovation necks? Maybe I should check 'em out."
Some of it will be placebo effect, some will truly agree that the neck IS superior, and others will say spoo. But the important thing is to give newbies a REASON to want to try one. That will also create a reason for store owners to carry the brand, at least a couple for people to demo.
Nancy
Posted 2015-04-10 12:31 PM (#508678 - in reply to #508675)

I watched the DW Tour Video, and they seem to have allot of Innovative Equipment and Ideas, like Ovation had. They have their own proprietary machines, their own glues, their own Graphics Department, and their Quality Control areas are to be envied at any mfg plant! They test and re-test throughout the entire process. They even make their own wood/plywood!!

I am really excited about DW, you can't fault their Pride and Workmanship, they are more concerned about Quality than Quantity, and know that it is a long road to the Top. I like too, that they are not rushing into anything, but exploring all of their options. They have made the decision to do it, now just to decide the Best way possible so they can do it right the first time. They have the background and knowledge in production and sales to do Ovation/Adamas right, and they are willing to put the hours in to create a high end product. Obviously, they could make their drums faster and cheaper, but that doesn't seem to be their goal, they are in it for the long haul, and if that means taking 10 steps instead of 3, to put out the Best, they don't mind the extra work.

Personally, I am very excited to see the new possibilities in design, and finish work they will offer. Just like Patch custom ordered Redwood faces, not the normal Spruce, it will be interesting to see what new woods, and designs they can create. I don't know squat about drums, but the ones they showed being made in the video are what I would buy, over the Walmart Brand, even if I had to save up for a while to do it. Sell not so gently used body parts, blood, my younger sister....

And I like that they do not have to answer to Investors. That is Huge!

Just my .02 FWIW

Edited by naellis58 2015-04-10 12:43 PM
Patch
Posted 2015-04-10 2:05 PM (#508680 - in reply to #508621)
Subject: RE: I heard from DRUM WORKS yesterday!

Well how's this for a pleasant surprise?

Bill Xavier called me earlier today and we talked for over an hour. I promised and re-promised to maintain an appropriate level of discretion about everything we discussed, but I can admit to a couple of things:

• There is no small amount of thought and effort being directed at re-launching the brand.
  • If Bill is any indication, customer service at DW is the equal of the venerated mothership. He's easy to talk to and seems to genuinely, and respectfully, appreciate input.
  • And most important, he and his colleagues are....repeat....ARE paying attention to people like us. Many things he said have been topics of debate on this site more than once.

All in all, my hopes are trending up.

Nancy
Posted 2015-04-10 2:25 PM (#508681 - in reply to #508680)
Subject: RE: I heard from DRUM WORKS yesterday!

YES!!!!!!!!!

That is WONDERFUL Patch!!!! Thank You for the update and great news!!!!!
YES!!!!!!!!!
seesquare
Posted 2015-04-10 2:32 PM (#508683 - in reply to #508621)

On other fronts, this lead time will allow the less-affluent, & more discretionary-stringent, OFC members (read Yours Truly, as BFLG charter member), to save the requisite funds to allow financial support of this new venture & resurrection, with a new model purchase. It will be my 1st new purchase, of ANY guitar, and I'm excited, too!
Mark in Boise
Posted 2015-04-10 4:37 PM (#508685 - in reply to #508621)

I hope they don't do too much checking up on us. They might find that thread in the archives about drummers and banjo players. (Now everyone do a search and see if you can find it faster than OMA.) Don't spend too much time, because at least the drummer part may be a figment of my imagination.
Mr. Ovation
Posted 2015-04-10 4:48 PM (#508686 - in reply to #508671)

Standingovation - 2015-04-10 7:03 AM
This will be great if it happens. Crossing fingers. Begs the question ... what potential did DW see in this that FMIC, Cordioba, etc did not. I guess time will tell.

FMIC didn't look for potential. They were VERY clear that they acquired "Kaman Music Corp" which was a distribution network. Anything else that was rolled into the deal was fine if it was making money, but not important. It made them one of the largest musical gear distribution networks on the planet, which in turn made them look sweet to JAM.

On the other side of it, DW bought percussion names.. That in itself not only elevated those names or if not, at least gave them even more street cred than they already had, and lets face it, names like LP and Gretch have been a staple for a loooong time. It appears the terms were they had to take Ovation with it. But as they are all about making quality instruments, rather than just let it lay on the floor, they are looking to see what they can do with Ovation too.
moody, p.i.
Posted 2015-04-10 4:58 PM (#508687 - in reply to #508621)

If this comes about, it's going to be interesting to see who their target market is. I'm 60 years old and have, what I consider to be, the best of the best -- A braced acoustic only Legend, 1537, 87C, 30th CL, OFC I slothead, and Adamas I 12 string. Will they build something that motivates me to pull out my credit card? I hope so.

Or will they build a guitar and market it to the under 40 crowd? Who knows. At this point, I read this thread with interest but don't know what the future will bring.
tpa
Posted 2015-04-10 6:09 PM (#508688 - in reply to #508621)

I am not a collector so I may buy another new Ovation/Adamas - but not buy many. It will be a super shallow bowl and "true" to the design of which I happen to be very fond. And preferably made in North America. Making american guitars in USA makes sense to me. To give american workers some work, to make the owners of the instruments proud and for keeping the myth alive. Thats how naive I am :-) Good news and good luck to the Drum guys. My fingers are crossed.
CanterburyStrings
Posted 2015-04-10 6:12 PM (#508689 - in reply to #508621)

Think about it Moody - it took five guitars until you had what you deem the best of the best. How many other O fans have those same five guitars? To someone else maybe a totally different five guitars would seem to be the best. Flavors of ice cream, you know?

Look at me - I have an A braced Legend, a 2077LX, an old Balladeer, A pristine Custom Legend, an Adamas, and a baritone Adamas. I think THESE are the best of the best.

But you know what? I'm still in the market. As long as the quality is there I will always be in the market.
Mr. Ovation
Posted 2015-04-10 6:43 PM (#508692 - in reply to #508621)

Good points CanterburyStrings and Moody.. I have the OFC2 and a Medallion. I also have a Pacemaker and an Acedemy but the two best are the Medallion and OFC2. The medallion doesn't have a pre-amp, the only wood is the top, it's beat, it's opened up, it's perfect to noodle on and write songs with. The OFC2 is what I would use to play out or record. But I'm open to something topping the OFC2, I just can't imagine what it would be. Maybe something with higher end pre-amps and better battery management etc.. Maybe with a slotted headstock of somesort.. but really... for me, I have the best and it's going to be different for everyone.

On the other side... It seems like "reading their market" is one thing DW is good at. The listen to what their players want, they collaborate and they bring it market for all to enjoy. Can't really beat that system.
Cripple Rick
Posted 2015-04-10 6:43 PM (#508693 - in reply to #508621)

Hey everybody,
I have been following this thread with Great interest. Thanks to Patch for getting the info-ball rolling, but my post is primarily for any DW folks reading this. I have 2 Korean made Ovations (a Celebrity and an Elite), both very nice guitars, and I also have a 33 yr old USA made Ovation #1111-1. I also have 4 Martins and 1 Gibson. The #1111-1 sounds every bit as good as any of the Martins, and Much better than the Gibson. Just an opinion, but I think any R & D for a new Ovation should definitely run deep into how they were making American Ovations 3 decades ago. Best wishes to all, and 'Thank you' in advance to the DW family.
Nancy
Posted 2015-04-10 7:02 PM (#508694 - in reply to #508693)

Cripple Rick, that is interesting, I just put up an album here with my Guitars, and noticed that the bulk of them are '76 and '77's. The one I have in my living room to play daily, is the '77 Custom Balladeer #1112-2. There is no comparison between that old '77, and my newer, Korean made C2079AX, the old Girl sounds so much better, even if the C2079 is newer, has all the new fangled electronics, bling, and was 5 times the price.

Edited by naellis58 2015-04-10 7:06 PM
arumako
Posted 2015-04-10 8:00 PM (#508696 - in reply to #508683)

seesquare - 2015-04-10 4:32 AM

On other fronts, this lead time will allow the less-affluent, & more discretionary-stringent, OFC members (read Yours Truly, as BFLG charter member), to save the requisite funds to allow financial support of this new venture & resurrection, with a new model purchase. It will be my 1st new purchase, of ANY guitar, and I'm excited, too!

I'm with you on that seesquare. If this thing goes through, and Os are made in the US again, my next guitar (that I pay for) is going to be a new USA made O! By the time I have enough saved up, I should be done with my 1868 Elite rebuild and my iDea soundboard upgrade! A friend of mine just gave me a broken '87 Kramer Ferrington B1 Bass that I'll be fixing up too. Great "lead-time" filler 'stuff' to work on! If you can't afford it, BFLG it! Exciting!

Edited by arumako 2015-04-10 8:01 PM
Standingovation
Posted 2015-04-10 8:32 PM (#508698 - in reply to #508621)

If a company is as passionate about their products and their fans are willing to one up their wallets and buy one you've got a success story.
muzza
Posted 2015-04-10 9:52 PM (#508700 - in reply to #508687)

moody, p.i. - 2015-04-11 8:58 AM Will they build something that motivates me to pull out my credit card? I hope so.

How about something like this Paul? It would enable you to be able to play that elusive 4th chord. (Click on the link below)

http://youtu.be/cXgB3lIvPHI

Edited by muzza 2015-04-10 9:56 PM
tpa
Posted 2015-04-11 5:04 AM (#508701 - in reply to #508698)

Standingovation - 2015-04-10 8:32 PM

If a company is as passionate about their products and their fans are willing to one up their wallets and buy one you've got a success story.

Yes but even if every member of every related guitar forum buy one they will still need to rebuild the customer base above entry level. A good deal of focus and luck may be required as well.
moody, p.i.
Posted 2015-04-11 9:33 AM (#508704 - in reply to #508700)

muzza - 2015-04-10 7:52 PM

moody, p.i. - 2015-04-11 8:58 AM Will they build something that motivates me to pull out my credit card? I hope so.

How about something like this Paul? It would enable you to be able to play that elusive 4th chord. (Click on the link below)

http://youtu.be/cXgB3lIvPHI

Muz, whoever built that has way too much time on their hands and desparately needs a life.......
ProfessorBB
Posted 2015-04-11 10:42 AM (#508705 - in reply to #508621)

Almost everything I play these days are customs, so these posts about what it would take for me to be attracted to a new production guitar from a resurrected Ovation/Adamas brand causes me to stop and think. The answer is I don't know. For the past three years, all my purchases are for stage gear like amps, stage snakes, powered monitors, digital mixers, and ata cabs. I'm insane. Always chasing that perfect sound.
jbblunck
Posted 2015-04-11 11:28 AM (#508709 - in reply to #508621)

I bought my 1115 12-string new in late '73 early '74. Loved the sound, played it avidly until about '77 and then life got in the way. Late last year I decided to get back into playing, and thought that a 6-string Ovation would be a good addition. I was ready to buy a Korean-made Elite when I stumbled on the news about Fender, the factory close, etc - and this forum. This set me on a course of finding a reasonably priced recent USA models. One led to two, two led to three, and finally a vintage electric. A modest collection, but representative in a middle-of-the-road way.

I was happy to read about DW's purchase of Kaman, and if the indications are accurate, will happily support the new USA efforts. It will be a tall order to restore luster to the brand and educate an entirely new generation of potential customers. More like mounting a new business than jump-starting an old one. If history is any guide, endorsements and popular television put Ovation on the map. Not as easy in today's more crowded media environment.

Amazing to me how Ovation's business cratered so quickly with the purchase by Fender. Guild as well. Greed knows no boundaries it would seem.

Old Man Arthur
Posted 2015-04-11 2:23 PM (#508712 - in reply to #508709)

jbblunck - 2015-04-11 9:28 AM

Amazing to me how Ovation's business cratered so quickly with the purchase by Fender.
Not really.

I am pretty sure that there is an easy way to make money by destroying businesses.
Just buy a business, run it into the ground, Fire all the workers, create some "credit default swaps" (or whatever they are) write-off all of your losses. Wash, Rinse, Repeat.
Because of Mythology, people seem to think of Leo Fender and that little radio shop that started making amplifiers and Teles and Strats and such in sunny California.
And they are still making the same Teles, Strats, and Jaguars that Leo was making over 50 years ago.
(because nobody has had a new idea... Just keep re-issuing commemorative models)

FMIC is a holding company. FMIC tried to issue stock to milk money out of the name, they were hoping that they could make money just from the name... kinda like Harley Davidson.
But no investors were stupid enough to buy during the run-up to the IPO... so that was cancelled.
Unlike Harley-Davidson that was revitalized by people who Ride, Build and Repair motorcycles...
Fender is NOT run by people who Play, Build or Repair guitars.
Fender is run by accountants. Before someone sez it, some accountants do play guitars. But their job is NOT to Make Guitars... Their job is to Make Money.

Greed knows no boundaries it would seem.
Jump to page : 1 2 3 4 5
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclub™ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)