The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "I've always felt that blues, rock 'n' roll and country are just about a beat apart."-Waylon Jennings

Jump to page : 12345
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
I heard from DRUM WORKS yesterday!

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Members Forums -> General PostingMessage format

Patch
Posted 2015-04-09 8:36 AM (#508621)
Subject: I heard from DRUM WORKS yesterday!

Recent threads finally pushed me to screw up some courage, in a tactful kind of way, and try to contact someone....anyone....at DW about our favorite instruments.

A fellow by the name of Bill Xavier responded within about 24 hours. Although I wish there was more detail, I certainly cannot fault their overall response. Here is the entire digital conversation. My flagging hopes are just that much higher this morning.....I think....might just be internal percolation from a poor diet yesterday too. Either way, it is a cautiously optimistic feeling that something is on the move.

My thoughts are in blue and Bill's Answers are in red:

Good afternoon,

My name is Patrick McGuire, and I was hoping that you might be able to fill in a blank or two for me and many friends who happen to be passionate fans of the Ovation/Adamas instrument brands.

I realize that your company only recently acquired the brand from FMIC, so I am certain your responses must be couched with a certain level of caution, but rumors have begun to fly about the internet, so I was hoping you might be able to provide some honest direction, or at least shoot some of the more blatant fantasies out of the water completely. In an effort not to waste too much of your time, I will try to make my questions succinct:

Are there any plans to start building Ovation/Adamas guitars in the USA again? (Is there any flesh to these plans if they exist? Are you in a position to elaborate at all?)

There has been absolutely no reference at all regarding the Adamas line. Any specific news there? Do you own that brand as well?

Rumor has it that much of the tooling specifically geared to Ovations in New Hartford, CT was dumped when the factory was closed. Would a re-tool of the brand have to re-build from the ground up?

Do you also control the overseas construction of Ovations still in production?

And finally, despite trying not to get my hopes up, or those of people I know for that matter, is there by chance some sort of time frame at least laid out in theory?

Please understand that I stand to gain nothing from the re-invigoration of the brand other than the chance to add to a collection of Ovations that already makes my wife's eyes roll with patience. I did know many of the former employees in New Hartford, as I live within driving distance and picked up many repaired and new instruments there in person. (Why trust a shipper when you don't have to right?) I have also written and laid out Ovation-themed calendars for the Ovation Fan Club for the last three years. In short, I love these instruments.

I am truly just trying to sort through the rumors as best as possible.

So thank you kindly for your time. I sincerely look forward to your response.

Hopefully yours,

Patrick McGuire

And here is Bill's response:

Dear Patrick,

I cannot go into details but I will respond to your questions below with very little detail if that is ok. You are welcome to email me anytime.

And I wouldn’t mind from time to time asking you questions as a loyal Ovation fan.

Bill Xavier

Are there any plans to start building Ovation/Adamas guitars in the USA again? (Is there any flesh to these plans if they exist? Are you in a position to elaborate at all?)

• Yes 100%!

There has been absolutely no reference at all regarding the Adamas line. Any specific news there? Do you own that brand as well?

• Yes we do own all things Ovation (Adamas, Applause and Ovation)

Rumor has it that much of the tooling specifically geared to Ovations in New Hartford, CT was dumped when the factory was closed. Would a re-tool of the brand have to re-build from the ground up?

• That’s a bad and 100% untrue rumor.

Do you also control the overseas construction of Ovations still in production?

• Yes!

And finally, despite trying not to get my hopes up, or those of people I know for that matter, is there by chance some sort of time frame at least laid out in theory?

• Don’t want to jinx our plans so my lips are sealed…

Please understand that I stand to gain nothing from the re-invigoration of the brand other than the chance to add to a collection of Ovations that already makes my wife's eyes roll with patience. I did know many of the former employees in New Hartford, as I live within driving distance and picked up many! repaired and new instruments there in person. (Why trust a shipper when you don't have to right?) I have also written and laid out Ovation-themed calendars for the Ovation Fan Club for the last three years. In short, I love these instruments.

• You will be proud soon……

Ok...So the words were his and that last bit of emphasis was mine, but what can I say? I'm a little more hopeful now...or maybe it's all the coffee this morning. Now it's all y'all's turn to hash it out a bit.

Edited by Patch 2015-04-09 8:45 AM
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Nancy
Posted 2015-04-09 8:50 AM (#508622 - in reply to #508621)
Subject: RE: I heard from DRUM WORKS yesterday!

YES!!!!!!!!!!! Doin' Da Happy Dance!!!!!!

Very well written letter Patch! The questions were very well thought out and asked, and allowed Mr Xavier to give us the answers that he was allowed to, without giving us more than they were ready to at this time!! And it all sounds Very Positive!!! Excellent!!!

Doin' Da Happy Dance!!!!!
arumako
Posted 2015-04-09 9:07 AM (#508623 - in reply to #508621)
Subject: Re: I heard from DRUM WORKS yesterday!

Holy Molly! Thanks for the thoughtful follow-up, Patch! My heart is racing...patience, patience...

Edited by arumako 2015-04-09 9:08 AM
nerdydave
Posted 2015-04-09 9:32 AM (#508625 - in reply to #508621)

Muy interesante!!
DetlefMichel
Posted 2015-04-09 9:34 AM (#508626 - in reply to #508621)

I keep my fingers crossed for all the Ovation people.
CanterburyStrings
Posted 2015-04-09 9:42 AM (#508630 - in reply to #508621)

YES! YES! YES! YES! YES!!!!!

I nominate Patch for citizen of the year!
Mark in Boise
Posted 2015-04-09 9:59 AM (#508634 - in reply to #508621)

Thanks, Patch. Great job on getting a connection that should benefit both the manufacturer and the customers in the future.
Slipkid
Posted 2015-04-09 10:02 AM (#508635 - in reply to #508621)

Great news on the tooling.
Geostorm98
Posted 2015-04-09 10:10 AM (#508639 - in reply to #508621)
Subject: RE: I heard from DRUM WORKS yesterday!

DW=Drum Workshop...there's a few pics of my DW's in this link.
Ovation and DW, this is going to work!
https://plus.google.com/photos/105567705311232066629/albums/57011930...
Michael R. Winters
Posted 2015-04-09 10:18 AM (#508640 - in reply to #508621)

This sounds awesome Patch!
I was wondering if it might influence them a little knowing just how many folks out there support and love the Ovation brand.
That said, maybe you could give us his contact information and some of us could start shooting him an e-mail here or there you know?
CanterburyStrings
Posted 2015-04-09 10:26 AM (#508641 - in reply to #508621)

If their buy-in isn't too much I would be so proud to be an authorised dealer. People here in South Dakota just LOVE Ovations. Every time I get a used one in it sells within days.
Nancy
Posted 2015-04-09 11:23 AM (#508643 - in reply to #508641)

CanterburyStrings - 2015-04-09 10:26 AM

If their buy-in isn't too much I would be so proud to be an authorised dealer. People here in South Dakota just LOVE Ovations. Every time I get a used one in it sells within days.

It would be Fabulous to have a Dealer up here in the Midwest!!!
Glen C.
Posted 2015-04-09 12:11 PM (#508644 - in reply to #508621)

Great job Patch. You would think that DW is aware of an online Ovation fan club but I wonder if a shot note to them alerting them to that fact might be a good thing to do.
Nancy
Posted 2015-04-09 1:09 PM (#508645 - in reply to #508644)

GCates - 2015-04-09 12:11 PM

Great job Patch. You would think that DW is aware of an online Ovation fan club but I wonder if a shot note to them alerting them to that fact might be a good thing to do.

I sent them the link a few days ago, Mr Lombardi and Mr Xavier, told them there were thousands of us strong, eagerly anticipating their new US Enterprise, and how wonderful it would be to be able to keep working with John B and the Boys. I sent the link and asked them to join and see the excitement and questions. Nothing as eloquent as Patch of course, but definitely filled with excitement!

I think the more people that let them know we are excited to see the New US Ovations, the Better!
Damon67
Posted 2015-04-09 1:18 PM (#508646 - in reply to #508621)

Patch, this news is absolutely ridiculous. According to several members this just can't be done.

Let's hope they'e not tuning in here for 'expert' advise/opinions.
Mr. Ovation
Posted 2015-04-09 1:36 PM (#508647 - in reply to #508644)

GCates - 2015-04-09 10:11 AM

I can confirm that DW is WELL aware of the Ovation FanClub and in fact reached out to us. Unfortunately I cannot say anything more except this...

They WILL NOT RUSH into anything. They will do what has to be done to do it correctly, whatever "it" is. Keep in mind this other point.. DW is NOT owned by outside investors.

For those who don't wiki, and because I think it's worth repeating... here are two clips from their wiki which can be found at ... Drum Workshop Wiki

FIrst... does this sound familiar in any way ??
"DW pioneered the timbre-matching technique of grouping a set of drumshells together by listening to the note each shell holds before it is sanded. Each shell that comes out of the DW factory is stamped with the note of that shell on the inside. DW offers pre-made standard sized sets as well as custom drums made to customer specification."

And look at their endorcers..   Remember, unlike guitar endorsers who may play a particular brand guitar on one tune, drummers generallyl pick a brand and stick to it, are known for it, and play it every time, all the time.  It's their reputation.  I imagine a pretty likely conversation would be "hey... DW is building Ovation guitars, lets check'em out." 

Now look at who's playing DW drums...  I've actually heard of most of these people or at least the bands they play in.  I wish I could say the same about the resent Ovation endorsements.   Me thinks that's gonna change.  Also note, while some great drummers "use" DW drums, they make the distinction of those who are endoresed by DW Drums.  That also seems significant to me.

"Many highly regarded drummers endorse[5] DW, including Virgil Donati, Joe Morello, Derek Roddy (Serpents Rise), Dave Grohl, Stephen Perkins, Dominic Howard (Muse), Luke Holland (The Word Alive), Alejandro González (Maná (De la Tierra) Steve Jocz (Sum 41), Brooks Wackerman (Bad Religion), Scott Travis (Judas Priest), Scott Phillips (Creed and Alter Bridge), Abe Laboriel Jr. (Paul McCartney), Neil Peart[6] of Rush, Nick Mason of Pink Floyd, Will Berman of MGMT, Dave Matthews Band's Carter Beauford, Zak Starkey, and Nickelback and Martone drummer Daniel Adair. Thomas Lang has also recently switched to DW drums. Terry Bozzio and the late Troy Penland use them as well. Tony Royster Jr. is on their endorsment list along with Max Weinberg and José Pasillas from Incubus (band) And Atom Willard(Angels & Airwaves).

Others include Jason Bonham (Black Country Communion, Led Zeppelin) Tommy Clufetos (Black Sabbath, Ozzy Osbourne, Rob Zombie, Alice Cooper, Ted Nugent), Kelly Keagy (Night Ranger), Bruce Becker (David Becker Tribune), Victor Loyo (Luis Miguel and studio session drummer), Thomas Pridgen (The Memorials, The Mars Volta, Christian Scott, Wicked Wisdom, Keyshia Cole), Eric Moore (Suicidal Tendencies and Infectious Grooves), Rex Hardy Jr. Mary J. Blige, Cobus Potgieter and Matt Greiner (August Burns Red) Venzella Joy Williams (Beyonce).

Eagles drummers Don Henley (main drummer) and Scott Crago (backup drummer) are well known users of DW and are endorsed by the company. Mick Fleetwood of Fleetwood Mac is also a DW artist."

I like this company the more I read about them.

Miles

Jimmer
Posted 2015-04-09 3:00 PM (#508650 - in reply to #508621)

Wow! Well that gives me some hope. The patient still has a pulse.

It's great to hear that the tooling still exists. The tooling and the skilled crafts people who built the guitars are the most important ingredients.

Fingers crossed.

I picked up a 1687 that could use a tune up. I think it's time to bring it on up to New Hartford. Couldn't hurt to show continued interest in the repair shop.

Edited by Jimmer 2015-04-09 3:01 PM
Nancy
Posted 2015-04-09 3:33 PM (#508651 - in reply to #508650)

Here is the Tour of the DW Factory....

http://youtu.be/QPighlLYd2c

Pretty Impressive! Looks like they take great pride in their Products too!
Damon67
Posted 2015-04-09 4:02 PM (#508652 - in reply to #508621)

Those are pretty much the best drummers in the freekin' world... Bozzio, Peart, and Beauford are my personal top 3 favs.

It's been said in other discussions that endorsers mean very little. I disagree 100%. If that were the case, why is there so much emphasis placed on it with advertisements in the mags? You nearly ALWAYS see a familiar face backing it up, from $.25 plectrums, to $5k guitars, to $20k drum kits.

I still want an Alex Lifeson signature ES-355... Wouldn't mind his new Lerxst Omega amp either. If Alex plays 'em, I want 'em too. Guess what nylon stringed instrument he played last time I saw him here...

I want one of those too.

Edited by Damon67 2015-04-09 4:11 PM
Designzilla
Posted 2015-04-09 4:21 PM (#508653 - in reply to #508621)

Outstanding fishing expedition Patch!

And Miles, thanks for the extra info, that's pretty damned exciting!

This won't happen overnight, but it sounds like things are being done in a thoughtful manner. This is great news!
Mark in Boise
Posted 2015-04-09 4:25 PM (#508654 - in reply to #508621)

I may actually change my opinions about drummers. Well, probably not.
Designzilla
Posted 2015-04-09 4:26 PM (#508655 - in reply to #508621)

Damon, I think you are absolutely right about endorsers. Those early Ovation ads got me interested in the brand, and I'll bet Glen Campbell sold a bunch of people here.
Darkbar
Posted 2015-04-09 4:30 PM (#508656 - in reply to #508647)

mileskb - 2015-04-09 2:36 PM

They WILL NOT RUSH into anything. They will do what has to be done to do it correctly, whatever "it" is.

Exactly. Not to be Mr poopy-pants, but I think they will evaluate the profit potential and decide that it's not viable
TAFKAR
Posted 2015-04-09 4:31 PM (#508657 - in reply to #508621)

Well done Patch! I'm now going to have to start saving/softening up SWMBO.
SOBeach
Posted 2015-04-09 5:00 PM (#508659 - in reply to #508656)

darkbarguitar - Not to be Mr poopy-pants, but...

no soup for you!

Jump to page : 1 2 3 4 5
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)