The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Jazz... isn't that just a series of mistakes disguised as musical composition?” - David St. Hubbins of Spinal Tap

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
1711 (temporarily) in the house

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2007Message format

G8r
Posted 2007-12-01 5:08 PM (#72338)
Subject: 1711 (temporarily) in the house

A friend of mine from out of state visited recently, and was complaining about the action of his guitar (a cheapo-not-worth-remembering-model) he's learning on. Right after that I came across this 1990 vintage 1711 Standard Balladeer in Transparent Honey at the local mom & pop music store, with case, for $295.

I convinced him he should get it, so I brought it home yesterday. It's in really good shape, just a couple barely noticeable finish dings on the lower base bout.

Replaced the (dead) strings it came with and swapped out the after-market saddle someone had forced into the bridge with a spare Thinline saddle I had lying around, gave it a good polish, and here she is:

Action is low, plays like butter, but I'm not so much a fan of the satin neck. Unplugged, she can't compete with my Legend, but still has a sweet, warm tone with a ton of sustain. The OP-24 of course overcomes any feelings of inadequacy she might have.

Too bad I don't need a beater, or I'd keep her. She'll be leaving at the end of this month with her new owner, whom I'm certain will fall in love with Ovations.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
bvince
Posted 2007-12-01 5:13 PM (#72339 - in reply to #72338)
Subject: Re: 1711 (temporarily) in the house

You are definitely a hero in my book.
G8r
Posted 2007-12-02 5:03 PM (#72340 - in reply to #72338)

Vince - I appreciate the sentiment, but I respectfully decline the honor.

Real heroes are the first responders rappelling down a cliff to treat the folks in the car that didn't quite make the curve on the mountain road, or the firefighters making their way through smoke and flames to save someone trapped in a burning house, or the Coasties flying a helicopter in a full-on gale to pull from 20-ft waves some idiot who never should've been allowed to buy a boat, or the grunts humpin' 60 lb packs up and down hellishly high mountains in eastern Afghanistan and western Pakistan searching for that SOB Osama & his pals.

Call me a guy who'll go out of his way to do a favor for a friend, but don't tag me a hero - I don't deserve it.
bvince
Posted 2007-12-02 5:06 PM (#72341 - in reply to #72338)

OK then ... You are a guitar hero.
G8r
Posted 2007-12-02 5:08 PM (#72342 - in reply to #72338)

Someday I gotta try that game :D ;) :D
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclub™ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)