The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "I've always felt that blues, rock 'n' roll and country are just about a beat apart."-Waylon Jennings

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Magnum Bass Question

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2007Message format

bvince
Posted 2007-12-01 5:34 PM (#72317)
Subject: Magnum Bass Question

Can anyone here give me the low down on magnum basses? To be specific, the differences in the models, quality, and reasonable prices?
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Paul Templeman
Posted 2007-12-01 10:00 PM (#72318 - in reply to #72317)
Subject: Re: Magnum Bass Question

Apart from prototypes and factory oddballs there were 4 models. Magnum 1 & 2 which had a kinda stretched Deacon/Breadwinner shape and Magnum 3 & 4 which had a more conventional twin cutaway guitar shape. Models 1 & 3 shared the same 4-knob, passive mono/stereo circuitry, while the 2 & 4 had mono only out with an active 3 band graphic EQ. Pickups were the same on both though models 3 & 4 lost the big pickup surround/thumb-rest and string mute. Finishes were natural & sunburst on the 1 & 2. Magnums 3 & 4 were natural & black. I've seen a few greyburst too. Quality isn't an issue, and they all sound great. The Magnums were one of Ovation's finest moments, the rest of the industry just doesn't know or care. I have a sunburst Magnum 2 and I'd never get rid of it. I also have a Musicman Stingray and I'm going to unload it because the Magnum kicks it's ass.
bvince
Posted 2007-12-02 6:25 AM (#72319 - in reply to #72317)

Thanks Paul. I tried checking out the Reference page here for the hard bodies listings, but was unable to pull much up (maybe because of my dial-up connection). I kinda' like the 3-4 body styles a bit more, although the pickup surround was very cool and should have been kept in the design. The string mute thing sounds like something I would like to use to get the upright bass sound on occasion. How does that work? I usually have to mute the strings at the bridge with my right hand. I have been watching a greyburst one on Ebay, but there are limited funds available at this time.
Paul Templeman
Posted 2007-12-02 9:10 AM (#72320 - in reply to #72317)

The thumbrest is a great idea, but the string mute doesn't really work very well, it's either not enough or too much. Plus I found that the little tag for the lever mechanism got in the way, so I took the thing out completely.
Beal
Posted 2007-12-02 9:50 AM (#72321 - in reply to #72317)

the mute was an idea that dies about 3 years before the production of the basses started, just that nobody told us....
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)