The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "It's much too late to do anything about rock & roll now ..." - Jerry Garcia / Grateful Dead

Jump to page : 123
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Tommy Emmanuel

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Members Forums -> General PostingMessage format

Darkbar
Posted 2015-02-23 9:17 PM (#505929 - in reply to #505926)
Subject: Re: Tommy Emmanuel

arthurseery - 2015-02-23 8:35 PM

"That is just where his pinky finger hits."

Then I guess he must wear Kevlar underwear...

Edited by BobG 2015-02-23 9:18 PM
Top of the page Bottom of the page
iglupickin
Posted 2015-02-24 6:45 AM (#505937 - in reply to #505787)

By the looks of Willies Martin in the picture, the spot above the sound hole looks close to a hole, from his thumb.

Interesting on the N-20WN.... I had played one of the early Martins back in the 60's (not sure its the same but it was pretty close) in a local music store I worked in and always loved the sound but it was way out of budget from my feeble earnings!
I did buy my first Ovation Collectors some time later in 1986 at the same place.
GaryB
Posted 2015-02-25 8:58 PM (#506989 - in reply to #505787)

Thanks for posting that Jay. Tommy's one of my favourites.
jay
Posted 2015-02-25 10:22 PM (#506991 - in reply to #506989)

Gary, John shared on the chetboard that he and Tommy are working on a CD that will include "W Leonard Bernstein's "Somewhere" Hank Williams' "Cold Cold Heart," Billy Joel's "Lullabye (Goodnight My Angel)," and The BeeGee's "How Deep Is You Love." We've got several others "in-progress." I doubt Tommy will turn on the wood chipper for this album.
jay
Posted 2015-02-26 11:33 AM (#507009 - in reply to #506991)

If you think Tommy is rough on guitars... Garth Brooks guitar is actually at the Smithsonian. It appears to be "Natural" series Tak.

Edited by jay 2015-02-26 11:41 AM

(smith.jpg)

(canvas.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments smith.jpg (25KB - 0 downloads)
Attachments canvas.jpg (88KB - 0 downloads)
Mark in Boise
Posted 2015-02-26 11:54 AM (#507015 - in reply to #505787)

Tommy did Johnny Cash's version of Hurt and Billy Joel's Lullaby at his concert here last week. They were nice contrasts to his blinding speed riffs on his other songs. I need to try to convert Lullaby from a simple piano tune to a guitar song. I saw it done on a Netflix movie a couple weeks ago, the first time I heard it since it was on Billy's album. Great song.
BrickGlass
Posted 2015-03-02 3:21 AM (#507157 - in reply to #505813)

CanterburyStrings - 2015-02-19 12:07 PM

Mark says: "Went to Tommy's concert at the theater across the street from my office last night. The only thing that was less than perfect was he didn't use any Ovations."

With no new Ovations being made anymore, I'm GLAD he doesn't use them so he doesn't beat one of our favorite guitars to death!

I won tickets to see him when he was in Rapid and I refused to go. I would've been arrested for jumping on stage and ripping the guitar out of his hands. The people I gave the tickets to said that at one point they could see chips flying off the guitar when he was "doing percussion" with his ring. I have zero respect for anyone who treats a guitar like that.

Kaki gets better percussion on her guitar and she doesn't beat it up. Doyle Dykes gets the whammy bar effect on his acoustic without bending the neck. There are MUCH better guitarists out there than Emanuel but he makes up for his lack of style with what he considers "showmanship" which is what I consider "show-OFF-manship". He's all speed and no style.

And he's (in my not so humble opinion) low class.

I hardly ever come here and when I do this is the first thread I click on, and I'm greeted with this absurd post. If you make determinations on respect based on how a person uses a guitar you are crazy amounts of shallow. The guy plays aggressively, he does percussion and in order to do it his way, he gets rough on the guitar. It's part of what has made his career for him, his actual playing style. You are more than entitled to your opinions about the guy, though I couldn't disagree more with your opinions, but for you to say some of the stuff you are saying makes you come off, in my opinion as silly levels of judgmental. The guy is low class? Because of how he treats his guitars? Hahahaha! Amazing stuff man, please tell us more of your opinions about guitarists. I'm serious, start a thread about who else you feel is "low class" because I'd love to read your thoughts.
Old Man Arthur
Posted 2015-03-02 4:12 AM (#507158 - in reply to #505787)

Many people over the years have commented on people disrespecting musical instruments...
Back in the 60's HUNDREDS of professional musicians voiced disdain over Jimi Hendrix burning Strats and The Who destroying their instruments... Country, Folk, Blues, and Rock artists.
Now, it is fashionable to smash guitars... But there are still people who find it unsettling and Stupid.
Dipshits like Garth Brooks and assholes who win NASCAR races... More money than sense.
Whereas most working musicians would not think of destroying a functional guitar.
Ask John Hiatt
As a street musician, I know people who make their living with low-budget laminate guitars.
If you struggled to get a used guitar, you would hurt anybody who hurt your guitar.
And the thought of intentionally damaging a guitar would be abhorrent to any of them, too.

BTW-- Canterbury Strings is the name of her Guitar Store, and she has built guitars in her lifetime.
So, I Love to read her thoughts on the subject too.

Edited by Old Man Arthur 2015-03-02 4:21 AM
BrickGlass
Posted 2015-03-02 5:29 AM (#507159 - in reply to #505787)

Old Man Arthur, we aren't talking about burning a guitar to ash or smashing it to bits here, we are talking about using it for percussion. Yeah, the guitar might not last as long hitting it for percussion as it normally would, but there is a vast chasm of difference between smashing a guitar to pieces like Pete Townsend and using it for percussion like TE. One is destroyed in a matter of seconds and one has some scratches on it, but is still a functioning instrument. Clearly TE uses his guitars for a while, they just get abused as part of his style of playing. A style that has made him a living, put food on his table, taken care of his family and put a roof over his head, not to mention brought joy and entertainment to people all over the world. There are unknown thousands of guitarists around the world that play this percussive style of guitar now, and because of that CanterburyStrings has claimed that she has no respect for any of these people? Because they put some scratches on a guitar that they own? This kind of judgmental mentality is soooooo unnecessary. Respect for a person should absolutely not be determined on how they treat a tool they use during work hours, otherwise a vast majority of mechanics, plumbers, roofers, construction workers, etc. are all "low class" because they put some scratches on their wrench or on their screw driver. Respect, in my opinion, should be based on how a person treats other PEOPLE, other living creatures, not some wood and metal that they paid for with their own money. It is a shallow mentality and one I find comical.
Old Man Arthur
Posted 2015-03-02 6:08 AM (#507160 - in reply to #505787)

..."because they put some scratches on their wrench or on their screw driver"... (screwdriver is one word)
The people that taught me mechanics taught me to wipe my tools down and put them away in their designated spots before I left the shop. Just like the people that taught me about guitars (the OFC) taught me to take-care of my instruments. (paint not-withstanding) As was pointed-out, Kaki King is percussive in her playing but in an interview she stated that she does not really hit the guitar hard when she is doing it. And she doesn't wear a big ring.

And you are talking about how "Respect, in my opinion, should be based on how a person treats other PEOPLE, other living creatures"... Meanwhile you are talking shiit to CS, whom you obviously don't know, but feel entitled to voice your opinion about whether CS can express her opinion. Cuz you obviously feel no need to restrain yourself in this important matter. But I am sure that you meant to be Respectful...

Meanwhile... Tommy is entitled to mistreat his guitar in any way that he wants. Canterbury Strings is entitled to not like it. That is Respectful.

Edited by Old Man Arthur 2015-03-02 6:18 AM
BrickGlass
Posted 2015-03-02 6:48 AM (#507161 - in reply to #505787)

If you can't give a good example don't give one Old Man. Wiping a tool down and putting it back where it belongs? I'm quite sure that TE has his guitars wiped down and put in their cases when he is done playing them. Hilarious example though. You need to get on the actual subject at hand. The subject is how the guitar is being treated WHILE IN USE TO PLAY MUSIC. That was CanterburyStrings problem. The subject is not what happens after it gets used, like your poor example of wiping a tool and putting it away when you are done. That is the whole problem with your smashing/burning guitars argument. It is only loosely related to the subject that CS brought up. She likely has a massive problem with how guitars get treated at all times. That is not the problem that CS originally brought up though. Her problem was during the actual playing and that is what I'm talking about.

Telling someone that something they have voiced is shallow and unnecessarily judgmental is not "talking ****" about them. I'd love to hear your definition of "talking ****". I have a feeling it isn't the same as mine. Sure CanterburyStrings can think whatever she wants about TE, of course she can, but I'm gonna call her out when she says absurd stuff. Absurd stuff like saying someone is "low class" because he uses his guitar like a drum at times. By that logic every drummer is a "low class" because he put some dents in his drum heads or he broke his drum sticks. If people like you and CS could actually step away from your preconceived notions about how a guitar should be played, you might actually realize that it is ok to put a scratch or a chip in a guitar from using it in a percussive manor. It is ok to use it for percussion and scratch it. The fact that Kaki King isn't as rough on hers doesn't amount to anything other than it is just her style. TE is a physical player, there are a whole bunch of them all over the world now. And they sure as hell aren't "low class" because they choose to play their guitars in a way that CS or you have a problem with. Are you telling me this guy is low class because of how he plays his guitar?:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nY7GnAq6Znw

That guy gave the proceeds made off that song to a charity. How low class of him.

Slipkid
Posted 2015-03-02 8:11 AM (#507162 - in reply to #505787)
Subject: RE: Tommy Emmanuel

Geostorm98
Posted 2015-03-02 12:47 PM (#507168 - in reply to #505787)

^^^Good tension breaker slipkid haha
CanterburyStrings
Posted 2015-03-02 1:12 PM (#507169 - in reply to #505787)

Wow BrickGlass, do you get this upset when people disagree with you about other things? I'd hate to see what you're like in a political discussion then.

Heck, running the shop I sometimes get people in who think Taylors are better than Ovations. I hate it when people disrespect my favorite brand of guitars, especially in favor of what I consider to be soul-less, overpriced staus symbols such as Taylors, but I don't attack them for it.

As for artists, I believe there is someone on this forum whom I respect to the max, but he thinks James Taylor (one of my favorites) puts out "spoo". That's cool with me. I don't demand that everyone likes what I like. Makes the world a much more interesting place you know.
Old Man Arthur
Posted 2015-03-02 2:15 PM (#507171 - in reply to #507161)

BrickGlass - 2015-03-02 4:48 AM

If you can't give a good example don't give one Old Man.
Bite Me!

Telling someone that something they have voiced is shallow and unnecessarily judgmental is not "talking ****" about them. I'd love to hear your definition of "talking ****".
Your momma did raise a fool, Fool. That kinda talking would get your face kicked-in outside of Mormon land. And I ain't no peace freak from Portland, neither. Make your corpse a statistic. Leave your body by the railroad tracks and they'd chalk you up as another dead hobo. That is talking ****, dickhead. And your taste in music sucks, too...

Here's proof

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nY7GnAq6Znw
That guy gave the proceeds made off that song to a charity. How low class of him.
He would starve as a street musician. I doubt that he makes much money with that kinda playing, therefore he does it as a tax right-off. Look at me, I give to charity. (minus 90% processing fee)
As Jesus might have pointed-out, the fact that he tells everyone so that you KNOW that the proceeds go to charity makes his "gift" meaningless.
Check out the Parable of the Widow with the Two Mites... as well as the Pharisee and the Tax Collector. Giving away money doesn't make your music suck less.

Edited by Old Man Arthur 2015-03-02 2:37 PM
Mark in Boise
Posted 2015-03-02 2:18 PM (#507172 - in reply to #505787)

Reminds me of the child psychologists who told us to say we weren't mad at our kids we were mad at what they did. My kids were smart and never understood the difference. Life is much more interesting with people who have strongly held opinions. I get bored on the middle ground. I don't know any James Taylor songs, and always thought Carole King couldn't sing worth a darn, but now I'm going to finish learning James' version of You've Got a Friend, just to see if I can piss someone off.
I thought Tommy was playing a Taylor the other night, so I was hoping he'd beat the hell out of it, but he just did it with his Maton.
Old Man Arthur
Posted 2015-03-02 2:25 PM (#507173 - in reply to #505787)

I play "Sweet Baby James" every day on the corner. (MY kinda fingerpicking version)
I especially like "The first of December was covered with Snow" while it is 65° in February in Portland.
BanjoJ
Posted 2015-03-02 2:46 PM (#507174 - in reply to #505787)

Wow! Is Guitar back under another name?
nerdydave
Posted 2015-03-02 9:54 PM (#507188 - in reply to #505787)

Brickglass does kinda seem ta be on a rant and I am not sure he is practicing the kind of love which is known to exist in the Ovation Fan Club!
Damon67
Posted 2015-03-02 10:29 PM (#507189 - in reply to #505787)

Went to see Brandi Carlile at the Zoo here with friends. One of them, much younger, starts talking about how she can't wait to see ""JT when he comes to town.

I said I thought James Taylor would be a nice show to see.

She looked at me all funny and said "Um yeah.... I'm talking about JUSTIN TIMBERLAKE... like I'm sure.... James Tay-who?"

I felt old.

She got me a life-size Justin poster for my birthday the following year.

Now lighten the **** up people.
BrickGlass
Posted 2015-03-03 5:40 AM (#507194 - in reply to #507171)

arthurseery - 2015-03-02 2:15 PM

Your momma did raise a fool, Fool. That kinda talking would get your face kicked-in outside of Mormon land. And I ain't no peace freak from Portland, neither. Make your corpse a statistic. Leave your body by the railroad tracks and they'd chalk you up as another dead hobo. That is talking ****, dickhead. And your taste in music sucks, too...

He would starve as a street musician. I doubt that he makes much money with that kinda playing, therefore he does it as a tax right-off. Look at me, I give to charity. (minus 90% processing fee)
As Jesus might have pointed-out, the fact that he tells everyone so that you KNOW that the proceeds go to charity makes his "gift" meaningless.
Check out the Parable of the Widow with the Two Mites... as well as the Pharisee and the Tax Collector. Giving away money doesn't make your music suck less.

Thank you for providing an example of what you consider to be "talking ****" because it makes it clear that that is not what I was doing to CS. Nothing that I said to her is anywhere near what you provided as an example of "talking ****", so when you told me you thought I was talking ****, you clearly did not mean it. I mean, you are calling me names like dickhead and fool, saying my taste in music sucks, telling me I'd get my face kicked in, and telling me I'd be a corpse with my body left by the railroad tracks. You truly feel that is how I was talking to CS? I think not. Not only that, but nerdydave has the audacity to tell me I'm the one " not practicing the kind of love which is known to exist in the Ovation Fan Club!" If you think I'm not practicing love, what in the world is Old Man Arthur doing? The guy is calling me a dickhead and telling me I'd be a corpse, and I'm the one "not practing love"? nerdydave, please explain if you are defending Old Man's words, and yet have a problem with something I said.

Now, to the point Old Man made about Jon Gomm making it known that the proceeds for buying his song would go to charity, and Old Man claiming that this act would make the gift meaningless, please, you must elaborate. Your logic on this matter seems horribly flawed. I am greatly anticipating your explanation of how someone doing a charitable thing, and making it known that they are doing so, makes the charitable donation meaningless? From where I'm sitting it seems like a win-win. The artist donates money to a good cause, and in turn the song gets heard, which has the chance to further the artists career. If you tell people that the money is going to charity it creates the possibility that more people will buy the song, because they want to support the cause of the charity. It's been a few years now, but I believe the proceeds went to a children's hospital or something of that nature. People are going to be more prone to buying a song knowing that it will go to help a wonderful cause. Knowing ahead of time that it will go to a good cause certainly doesn't make it "meaningless", as you stated. Quite the contrary in fact.

Also, I'm most certainly not afraid of my face being kicked in, if I were to venture outside of "Mormon land", just because I told someone that there viewpoint seems shallow and unnecessarily judgmental. Yeah...that is not on my list of fears.

I'm gonna have to come around here more often because this is great stuff folks! Really fascinating people around here, and this is the first thread I clicked on!
Darkbar
Posted 2015-03-03 5:53 AM (#507196 - in reply to #505787)

I really LOVE it when threads go off like this! You wait and wait and wait MONTHS for interesting threads to develop, then POW!!! (Surely DaveKell has a good Duane Allman guitar destroying story he could tell? "There I was, in the back of Duane's tour bus, lying on the air-mattress in nothing but my Astroboy skivvies, when in comes Duane swinging a bottle neck guitar..."
BrickGlass
Posted 2015-03-03 6:19 AM (#507197 - in reply to #507196)

darkbarguitar - 2015-03-03 5:53 AM

I really LOVE it when threads go off like this! You wait and wait and wait MONTHS for interesting threads to develop, then POW!!!

Oh no no, we cannot be waiting months for threads to "go off" as you put it. I feel like there is a huge untapped realm of fascinating, riveting, enthralling, intriguing, hilarious discussion to be had here now. I've been a member since 2011 and I feel like I've likely lost out on some truly great moments around these parts. I'm gonna have to visit much more often.
Patch
Posted 2015-03-03 6:24 AM (#507198 - in reply to #505787)

Reading this thread is like.....

jay
Posted 2015-03-03 7:21 AM (#507201 - in reply to #505787)

All of those pieces flying off of the train remind me of Tommy playing his Maton in concert.
Jump to page : 1 2 3
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)