The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now." - Jol Dantzig

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Ovation 1615 cracks

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Members Forums -> About my guitar...Message format

Moscow
Posted 2015-01-02 11:09 PM (#504400)
Subject: Ovation 1615 cracks

Hi Folks, this is a cross post from the Welcome area. 

I have a Pacemaker 1615 12-string originally purchased in 1983 that has developed a couple of cracks in the finish below the bridge.  

I've done a cursory look inside and don't see any popped braces but I'm concerned now that a second crack has appeared. I've de-tuned the strings and it's currently being re-humidified in the case. The top doesn't look noticeably bowed, though a straight edge across the saddle side-to-side gives me 1/4" gap at the edges. I'm not sure what is normal. It's pretty dry here so I suspect some drying of the top may be responsible for the cracks. I gather, though, this is common in older Ovations. 

Two questions:

1) has any one installed a JLD Bridge Doctor in an Ovation, and

2) recommendations for repairing the cracks? I've seen a number of Youtubes on CA glue repairs. Mind you, I'm only in the 'speculating' researching options phase. I'd really like to take it to a luthier but that may have to wait till next month after daughter #3's semester bill is paid.

Thanks, appreciate any input!

Tim

(Ovation1615-cracks.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Ovation1615-cracks.jpg (79KB - 0 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page
seesquare
Posted 2015-01-03 9:51 AM (#504406 - in reply to #504400)
Subject: Re: Ovation 1615 cracks

Welcome, Moscow!
The expert on CA crack repair is MWoody. You're probably right about the dehydration scenario, and yes, finish cracks are pretty ubiquitous to Ovations, especially with the added traction of 12 strings.
As for the "belly bulge", just keep track of the action at the 12th fret, and adjust the shims, accordingly. Sorry, never installed one of those JLD contraptions. I would think they alter the vibrational characteristics of the soundboard, somewhat.
You have a venerable instrument there. Your youngest is correct- parting with that Pacemaker would be grounds for a palace revolution.
SOBeach
Posted 2015-01-03 12:25 PM (#504409 - in reply to #504400)
Subject: RE: Ovation 1615 cracks

Hi Tim,

+1 on re-humidifying that O.

For CA crack repairs, have a look through the BFLG archived posts for tips and details.

search keywords: crack repair 

Also FWIW, I keep my 12-string tuned down to D-standard (with med-light strings), primarily for my vocal range, but it also lessens the tension on the neck and bridge a bit.

Good luck and welcome!

Mark in Boise
Posted 2015-01-03 5:25 PM (#504416 - in reply to #504400)

I didn't have any luck repairing a finish crack the one time I tried. I couldn't get the super glue thin enough to wick into the crack.
I don't know about the bridge, so I don't understand how it would make any difference to the belly bulge.
Finally, welcome to another Idaho Ovation Fan. We're a rare breed. Our oldest daughter graduated from the U of I almost 10 years ago and lived in Moscow a few years after that until she moved to California.
DanSavage
Posted 2015-01-03 5:29 PM (#504417 - in reply to #504409)

Ditto to the D-standard on 12-strings.

I tuned my Yamaha 12-string down to D for it's entire life, not that it helped with keeping the top from sinking in.

When I bought my 1655, I kept it tuned down to D for a while, then decided I wanted to try it tuned up to E. After a month or so, I noticed an increase in the bellying on the top so I tuned it back down to D and it's stayed there ever since. After a short time, the bellying went back down to 'normal'.

WRT the JLD, I installed one on my Yamaha, but it didn't really make that much difference. IMO, it's not worth the trouble or expense. Besides, there's no real way to make it work on an O. If anything, having it push on the angled bottom bout might want to make the bridge angle worse.

Dan
Moscow
Posted 2015-01-04 10:36 PM (#504439 - in reply to #504400)

Thanks Everyone for the replies - the rehumidification seems to be helping. I've been keeping a damp sponge inside the body and covering the sound hole with a mute. While it could just be my imagination, the cracks seem less noticeable over this past week. I'll have to pick up a hygrometer at Radio Shack and keep an eye on the humidity level. Thanks SOBeach and Dan for the D tuning suggestion. I tuned it down today and will try it for a while. I normally use Martin Marquis Silk & Steel strings on it. I'm assuming you capo the 1st fret when playing with others folks.

"Palace Revolution" about describes the reaction I got when I mentioned possibly selling the Pacemaker, seesquare! Funny though, she said I could give it to her, yet didn't offer to trade me her Yamaha cutaway.

Greeting Mark, from up north! I need to stop around to the hobby store in town and see if they carry the Hot Stuff brand of CA glue. I understand they come in different thicknesses - thin, medium and thick. The video I watch used the thin to wick into a crack. Right now, I mainly want to prevent further damage.

I found that there is an Ovation Service Center in Cour d'Alene. I may just take it up there for an evaluation. I contacted KMC and they said I could request a RMA and send it back to Conn. for an evaluation but I'm really hesitant to ship it off clear across the country. Cour d'Alene is only 75mi north of me. It may be just the thing to couple with a visit to the local Irish Session.

cheers,
Tim

Damon67
Posted 2015-01-05 11:50 AM (#504444 - in reply to #504400)

Tim, you'd have a better time picking up a hygrometer at the local Walmart. Radio Shack wouldn't have something like that in-store.

I would imagine it's less than $15.
Mark in Boise
Posted 2015-01-05 12:09 PM (#504445 - in reply to #504400)

If you have more than one guitar, it makes more sense to keep them out in a room and buy a humidifier for the room. That's easier than putting a Dampit or something similar in each of the cases and then changing them every day. You can get humidifiers with hygrometers built in, so that it comes on when the humidity drops below 40. Get one that's big enough and you won't have to add water every day. You might even play them more if they are out, although that's not working for me lately.
If you ever get down to Boise, look me up. I don't get up to Moscow much since our daughter moved.
SOBeach
Posted 2015-01-05 1:10 PM (#504449 - in reply to #504439)

Moscow -   I'm assuming you capo the 1st fret when playing with others folks.  

capo on the 2nd fret Tim.    D...  D# / Eb...  E

Moscow
Posted 2015-01-05 6:03 PM (#504460 - in reply to #504449)

whoops ... those tones & semitones always mess me up when I try to transpose in my head   

thanks Jeff!

d'ovation
Posted 2015-01-05 7:18 PM (#504461 - in reply to #504445)

Mark in Boise - 2015-01-05 11:09 AM If you have more than one guitar, it makes more sense to keep them out in a room and buy a humidifier for the room.

What if you have more than one guitar but not more than one room?

Mark in Boise
Posted 2015-01-05 8:16 PM (#504464 - in reply to #504461)

merlin666 - 2015-01-05 6:18 PM

Mark in Boise - 2015-01-05 11:09 AM If you have more than one guitar, it makes more sense to keep them out in a room and buy a humidifier for the room.

What if you have more than one guitar but not more than one room?

Easy. One humidifier takes care of everything and you don't have to decide which room to put them in.
DanSavage
Posted 2015-01-06 12:40 PM (#504485 - in reply to #504464)

One last thought on strings. In addition to tuning down to D, I also only use 12-string lights. (.010 - .047)
Moscow
Posted 2015-01-06 5:45 PM (#504512 - in reply to #504400)

Thanks Dan, I have Martin Silk & Steel, extra light strings (0.0115 - 0.047) on it at the moment. In the past I've used D'Addario light Phos. Bronze in the same range.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)