The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: “Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and charm and gaiety to life and to everything.” -Plato

Jump to page : 12
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
What's the best mp3 player with built in recording capabilities?

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2007Message format

colt357
Posted 2007-12-07 12:49 PM (#71756 - in reply to #71731)
Subject: Re: What's the best mp3 player with built in recording capabilities?

Originally posted by The Wabbit Formerly Known As Waskel:
Had some fun with the Micro-BR last night. Spent an hour, but barely scratched the surface of the abilities. I was looking for an 'audio sketchpad'... looks like I found it. Input effects, insert effects, punch-in, editing... this is gonna be fun.
I suspect you checked out the Zoom H4 also; what moved you to choose the Micro BR over it?

I'm looking for a similar unit and so have been looking at all of these also. This is somewhat out of my area of expertise so I'm wondering what I'm missing. The Zoom H4 really looks like a great unit but perhaps I'm not looking at the big picture and am not recognizing the right things.

Thanks for any and all thoughts

Dave
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Slipkid
Posted 2007-12-07 1:27 PM (#71757 - in reply to #71731)

I went to the ZoomH4 website and downloaded the user manual.
It's not the "fewer features / user friendly" thing I'm looking for.
Waskel
Posted 2007-12-07 1:39 PM (#71758 - in reply to #71731)

The Boss was cheaper.

Ok, that's not the only reason, but it's a good starting point. What I really wanted was a sketchpad, and the Boss seemed to fit that bill better. It's not only got 4 tracks, it's got 8 virtual tracks per, so I can do multiple takes and choose the best one. It can bounce tracks. It has COSM effects (which sound great, btw).
The Zoom seemed more of an 'event' recorder than a working tool, and if I needed something to do that I probably would have given the Zoom more consideration.
I trust the quality of Roland more than Zoom.

It's true that the Boss is somewhat limited in only having one 1/4" input, but that's usually the way I work when recording stuff anyway. I can mix the 1/4" and the onboard mic when recording. If I want more options I can go into my little Behringer mixer first.

And hey - MF has a 45 day return/exchange policy. I may yet change my mind!

No, wait... the return period on my mind has expired...

Slipkid
Posted 2007-12-07 1:54 PM (#71759 - in reply to #71731)

Maybe I need both.
A ZoomH2 for portability & practice sessions then something else with big dials and a large display specificly for multi-tracking.
Akami
Posted 2007-12-07 2:11 PM (#71760 - in reply to #71731)

Originally posted by The Wabbit Formerly Known As Waskel:
The Boss was cheaper.

Ok, that's not the only reason, but it's a good starting point. What I really wanted was a sketchpad, and the Boss seemed to fit that bill better. It's not only got 4 tracks, it's got 8 virtual tracks per, so I can do multiple takes and choose the best one. It can bounce tracks. It has COSM effects (which sound great, btw).
The Zoom seemed more of an 'event' recorder than a working tool, and if I needed something to do that I probably would have given the Zoom more consideration.
I trust the quality of Roland more than Zoom.

It's true that the Boss is somewhat limited in only having one 1/4" input, but that's usually the way I work when recording stuff anyway. I can mix the 1/4" and the onboard mic when recording. If I want more options I can go into my little Behringer mixer first.

And hey - MF has a 45 day return/exchange policy. I may yet change my mind!

No, wait... the return period on my mind has expired...

This is not what I had in mind at all, but my interest is really piqued.

I've seen these a couple times but having already bought the Edirol (even though they are for different end purposes, still recorders) I never really gave it much attention.

How intuitive has it been; pretty easy? Any points you don't like about it?
Slipkid
Posted 2007-12-07 2:34 PM (#71761 - in reply to #71731)

Shameless plug for my e-bay sale... HERE
Waskel
Posted 2007-12-07 3:39 PM (#71762 - in reply to #71731)

Akami, I've only spent about an hour with it. So far it seems pretty intuitive once you figure out the 3 letter abbreviations (why do we need such a long word to describe something short?).
Good balance between buttons and menus. Haven't gotten into using the v-tracks or mixing yet, but I'm studying the manual.

I'll post more about it when I've been able to spend more time with it.

Truly shameless, Bradley.
Omaha
Posted 2007-12-11 1:34 PM (#71763 - in reply to #71731)

Couple of quick recordings I made last night with my Zoom H2.

The first one is from my daughter Mary\'s piano recital . This is exactly the environment where the Zoom shines: I found an inconspicuous place to set the Zoom, turned it on, and walked away. After I got it home I used Audacity to cut out the section that I wanted and converted it to an MP3.

The second one is of a version of Hallelujah that I wrote last night . I've been using the Zoom to record these sessions and it really helps, particularly in that it keeps me from forgetting the occasional fleeting idea.

I've really come to depend on the Zoom.
seesquare
Posted 2007-12-11 2:59 PM (#71764 - in reply to #71731)

Not meaning to hijack the thread, but.....
Will this gizmo get me into basic home recording? I'm not even close to needing an audio "notebook", but would like to record myself (at home) for instructional purposes.
http://cgi.ebay.com/Audacity-Music-Editor-Audio-Editing-MP3-Mix-Rec...
Thanks for input!
Slipkid
Posted 2007-12-11 3:12 PM (#71765 - in reply to #71731)

It's looking more and more like the H2 is what I'm looking for.
Omaha
Posted 2007-12-11 3:39 PM (#71766 - in reply to #71731)

Audacity is an audio editing program. No need to buy it on e-bay...just Google it and download it free (and legal).

But its not enough. You need something to generate your raw material. In my case, that's the Zoom H2. But there are lots of other options out there too.

But for casual use, the combination of the Zoom H2 and Audacity has proven to be very useful for me.
Waskel
Posted 2007-12-11 3:48 PM (#71767 - in reply to #71731)

That's funny, that someone is selling it on ebay. You can download it for free here.
Even though it's a great program (and free, to boot!) "Audacity is the professional's choice for audio editing, recording, effects processing, streaming content creation, and more." is hardly the truth.

As Jeff said, the H2 is probably best if you're just into recording single takes of raw material. The one I have (Boss Micro BR) is more for those who like to go a little deeper (multi-tracking, pre and post effects, punch-in/out, etc.).
seesquare
Posted 2007-12-11 6:34 PM (#71768 - in reply to #71731)

I was searching the past threads for "home recording", and came across g8r's entry from 10/2007.
So, is the Reaper mixer program worth the investment, over the free Audacity program?
I'm also watching several M-Audio Fast-Track auctions for an interface gizmo.
colt357
Posted 2007-12-12 12:42 AM (#71769 - in reply to #71731)

I have been looking hard at the Zoom H4. It comes bundled with Cubase. Is this a good program?

My son just got home from 9 months of playing bass on Holland America cruise ships. He brought a recording, done on the H4, of the band that is awesome.

He said the guy just put it on the piano and hit record. Very impressive!
colt357
Posted 2007-12-14 7:26 PM (#71770 - in reply to #71731)

Well, an H4 followed me home today. I'm probably the poster child for most technically challenged so may be awhile before I can post any comments or accomplishments. Be patient and stay tuned.

My son is home for awhile so that will likely speed results! :)

Dave
Slipkid
Posted 2007-12-14 11:13 PM (#71771 - in reply to #71731)

I ordered a Zoom H2 today.
rededdie
Posted 2007-12-15 2:13 PM (#71772 - in reply to #71731)

Hi Dave,
Glad your son is home at LEAST for the holidays, keep us posted on the H4 as well, I'm very interested, also thanks for the link, Waskel
Jeff W.
Posted 2007-12-15 2:19 PM (#71773 - in reply to #71731)

Zoom H2.
colt357
Posted 2007-12-15 2:44 PM (#71774 - in reply to #71731)

Originally posted by rededdie:
Hi Dave,
Glad your son is home at LEAST for the holidays, keep us posted on the H4 as well, I'm very interested, also thanks for the link, Waskel
Thanks, Ed. I saved my last week of holidays to spend his first week home with him. It's been a great week of catching up and jamming, but, it's gone sooo fast.

We got the H4 up and running and jammed a few pieces:WOW is this thing cool. Press record and go. The sound capture is simply amazing! It leaves the old Radio Shack cassette sooo far behind.
I wish I'd of had this kind of machine back when I was gigging and I still had a voice.

Anyway, we got the H4 updated off the site and installed the Cubase LE, but have to try anything with that. Could be awhile for that.

I'm really impressed with this unit. Works as simply or as technical as you want.

Dave
Jeff W.
Posted 2007-12-19 2:17 PM (#71775 - in reply to #71731)

Ipod Mic Audio Recording
Jeff W.
Posted 2007-12-19 2:22 PM (#71776 - in reply to #71731)

Ipod Mic Audio Recording
an4340
Posted 2007-12-19 4:26 PM (#71777 - in reply to #71731)

Interesting ... any success with the Ipod mic?
Hankster
Posted 2007-12-19 5:55 PM (#71778 - in reply to #71731)

I have an Olympus WS-320M that I use for workshops and other "casual" recording. Quality is OK, but the neat thing is it plugs directly into the USB port on a computer for file transfer. Small enough to fit in a shirt pocket. Olympus
Jeff W.
Posted 2007-12-19 6:02 PM (#71779 - in reply to #71731)

Ipod Mic review:

Pros: Excellent Audio via Stereo Mic Jack; Speaker for Easy Playback
Cons: No Passthrough For Charger; No Manual Level Control; Gooseneck mic is mono only
In Sum: Not Quite Perfect, But Still Excellent
Pricing: $59.95 compare prices at pcprices.net
More Info: Product Page
Stereo Recording on the Go
I've been waiting for this one. I couldn't have cared less about those earlier iPod recording attachments because they only recorded in mono through a built-in mic. That's great for students and field reporters who conduct interviews a lot, but me I'm a musician. Sure, I'm a writer, too, but I rarely interview people. So I don't want to use my iPod to record hours of talking voices in mono. I want to use it to record my band playing in stereo.

XtremeMac's new MicroMemo audio recorder for iPod with Video and iPod nano 2G supports stereo recording at up to 16-bit, 44kHz quality through an external microphone. That alone made me want to give it the coveted "Five Books" rating. I practically wrote the review before I got the thing out of its packaging and snapped onto my iPod. But, in the interest of objectivity I held back and actually tried the thing out first. I'm happy to report that it's generally excellent. I'm a little sad to report, however, that it's not perfect enough to warrant Five Books. I gave it four and a half ... here's why.

Yes, it's called MicroMemo not MicroRecordYourBand, so I know that most of the target audience is likely interested in the built-in mic's performance while recording "memos" (i.e. Interviews, Lectures, Notes to Self, and the like). It works great. Recordings can be made in low or high fidelity mono or stereo, are saved as .wav files and labelled according to time and date of creation. All of that is Apple's doing - if you'll recall, Apple built recording functionality into the 5G iPod. XtremeMac's solution "unlocks" the recording feature and provides the recording hardware, but they have no control over the iPod's recording settings or user interface.

Recordings can be played back directly from the iPod and/or transferred to a computer via USB. The mic is omnidirectional and the gooseneck mount pivots and bends so you can get it closer to your source. Test recordings I made of voices came out loud and clear with the MicroMemo - you can plop the thing on your desk, hit record, go to sleep for two hours, and listen to your professor's lecture later while you're out for a jog.

The fun came for me when I brought my iPod, MicroMemo, and a stereo microphone to a band rehearsal. I tried the gooseneck mic first, just for curiosity's sake, and it sounded generally overwhelmed by the noise. Swapping it out for my guitarist's Sony stereo microphone yielded much better results. The built-in gain settings handled the amazingly loud noise of drums and electric guitars pretty well, though some kind of manual level control would be a nice addition. Later I ran a stereo cable from my iBook's headphone jack to the MicroMemo, and switched MM's input selector from Mic to Line. I recorded some snippets of iTunes tracks to the iPod and played them back over my Ulitmate Ears earbuds. The results were impressive - the MicroMemo captured the music with breadth and clarity. So long as you're able to control the level of your source material from the other end, MicroMemo seems quite capable of turning your iPod into a high-quality digital recorder.

MicroMemo also features a small, front-firing speaker. While the speaker is tinny and thin sounding as one might expect, it's a very handy way to quickly review recordings or share bits of audio with others. It's good for voice recordings, if not ideal for music.

A Few Flaws
I haven't yet tried the two other iPod recording attachments currently on the market - Belkin's TuneTalk Stereo and the Griffin iTalkPro - but they both feature built-in stereo mics, an apparent step up from the MicroMemo. Reviews I read were mixed on the performance of the Belkin and Griffin models, but again, I can't comment myself. I can tell you that one of my minor issues with MicroMemo is that when it's snapped into your iPod's dock port, you can't plug your AC charger into the iPod as well. As such, you'll need to make sure your iPod is all charged up before you try to record anything. Minor issue, but important to think about if you regularly record and rarely remember to charge. Belkin's TuneTalk Stereo supports charging while recording with an included cable.

The other design issue with the MicroMemo is that you can't use it while your iPod is in any sort of case. MicroMemo snaps more or less flush into the bottom of the iPod and as such doesn't leave any room for a case. Again, TuneTalk Stereo has a dock connector that leaves room for a case (it also comes with a plastic stand to prop your iPod up during recording). This is a bit of a drag as iPods tend to scratch easily, and I like keeping mine in a case as much as possible.

Overall: 4.5 out of 5
When it comes down to it, MicroMemo's functionality is excellent. Voice recordings made with the included gooseneck mic came out loud and clear, and swapping the gooseneck out for a stereo mic or line-level source yielded excellent stereo recordings. My band usually records our rehearsals on a Mac-based multitrack system; one of us takes the "tapes" home, mixes them on our computer, and then posts the mp3 files to an FTP site for sharing. That process yields fantastic results but takes a few days. With MicroMemo I had decent stereo recordings of our session that I could listen to the same night. Not as good as the multitracks, but less waiting. And much easier to take to an iPod and MicroMemo to a gig than it is to haul out the entire multitrack setup.

If MicroMemo fit case-protected iPods, had a charging port, and had a manual level control, I'd probably give it Six Books. If it had two of the three, I'd give it Five. So as is, four and a half seems fair. I haven't tried the Belkin (did I say that?) so I can't compare sound quality. The MicroMemo sounds great and has a speaker and adjustable microphone. I recommend it.

The XtremeMac MicroMemo digital audio recorder is compatible with iPod with Video and iPod nano 2G models. It sells for $59.95 direct from XtremeMac.

Get the best price for your new iPod at PCPrices.net/iPod

Noah Kravitz is the Reviews Editor for PBCentral. A writer, educator, and musician, he lives in Oakland, CA and is the author of Teaching and Learning with Technology.
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclub™ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)