The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Jazz... isn't that just a series of mistakes disguised as musical composition?” - David St. Hubbins of Spinal Tap

Jump to page : 123
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
DOES COUNTRY MUSIC SUCK???

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2007Message format

guitarwannabee
Posted 2007-12-08 12:39 PM (#71422)
Subject: DOES COUNTRY MUSIC SUCK???

I have tried to listen to Country Music every now & then but I cant stand it for more than 5 minutes.It makes me crazy all that drawwwllll on the voice and every song is about lying,crying or dying.It is still not as bad as hard RAP to me.I guess I am just a diehard Rock&Roll fan.
My only exception is Glen Cambell.
What are your thoughts on it.GWB
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Omaha
Posted 2007-12-08 12:50 PM (#71423 - in reply to #71422)
Subject: Re: DOES COUNTRY MUSIC SUCK???

I voted "take it or leave it".

Some stuff is killer, some sucks.

Kindof like everything else.
cholloway
Posted 2007-12-08 12:58 PM (#71424 - in reply to #71422)

Don't care much for the "New" offerings.
I was into the Outlaw Country of the '70s and early '80s along with Southern Rock.
BT717
Posted 2007-12-08 1:04 PM (#71425 - in reply to #71422)

I tend to agree with "Wannabee" as I am and allways will be a lover of ALL rock. However, I also beleive that in just about every Genre, there are songs that have "hooks" that really "catch me" and I enjoy.
ProfessorBB
Posted 2007-12-08 1:10 PM (#71426 - in reply to #71422)

Well, so far, I'm all by myself for liking it. I like the guitar solos, the cross over stuff, and it remains about the only genre where you can occasionally hear good pedal steel guitar. I can also understand the words, and the songs are easy to play.
Slipkid
Posted 2007-12-08 1:11 PM (#71427 - in reply to #71422)

GWB... Is your last name "Harris".. as in "Harris Poll"? Questions, questions always makin' me have to think and stuff.
Just as I like some classical and some movie soundtrack music, I like some country stuff, too.
Not the "cry in your beer" stuff but there is some clever & entertaining country out there.

I like "I Ain't As Good As I Once Was".
I used to be hell on wheels
Back when I was a younger man
Now my body say's you can't do this boy
But my pride say's oh yes you can
Or... "I'm Gonna Miss Her" YouTube Video

Or... Alan Jackson's... Little Bitty

"She Thinks My Tractors Sexy"
"The More I Drink, The More I Drink"

And there is more. Some patriotic, some serious, and some sillier than I can take.
IMO, country music is as much a slice of Americana as Rock & Roll. And just like R&R there is a lot of crap in the mix but if you take some time to root around in the old cellar, you might find a gem or two.
For myself, gimme some live Who, a John Williams or Danny Elfman soundtrack or a little bit of "Little Bitty", and I'll be happy.
First Alternate
Posted 2007-12-08 1:17 PM (#71428 - in reply to #71422)

Originally posted by guitarwannabee:
It makes me crazy all that drawwwllll on the voice and every song is about lying,crying or dying.
I think most who dislike country are reacting to the accented delivery or an overall sound of what they describe as "twang". However, I feel that, in it's current form, it stands up quite well musically and vocally.

A lot of these guys are recycled rockers anyway, Garth Brooks for one. The Nashville studio guys are some serious, serious musicians.

As for subject matter, I don't care what a song is about if I like the music. If I don't like a song musically, the words are not going to change my mind.
guitarwannabee
Posted 2007-12-08 1:48 PM (#71429 - in reply to #71422)

Brad thanks for those two video clips , That just confirms my thinking on Country Music.GWB
Old Man Arthur
Posted 2007-12-08 1:50 PM (#71430 - in reply to #71422)

There ARE some fine country pickers out there.
Alot of what you may hear, is the Top (whatever) stuff that is on the Corporate Radio computer-playlist, which may not be the best that the genre has to offer.
And you gotta give them (country-folk) credit for some of the subject matter of their lyrics.
It is alot more diverse than most "Rock" music.

Also, my Mom lives in Tennessee. I think that when them Country-Folk are born, they issue them a guitar, a mandolin, and fiddle with their Birth Certificate. I've seen them folks walk-up to Street Musician friends of mine in Boston, pick-up the friend's guitar and pick some awesome stuff.
Then say, "I'm from Nashville, I'm embarrassed to carry my guitar on the street, someone might think that I think I can Play!"

(I picked Take It or Leave It)

Here ya\' go GWB
guitarwannabee
Posted 2007-12-08 2:08 PM (#71431 - in reply to #71422)

Ohhhhh Please stop it youre killing me with these clips.
If this keeps up Im going to find a very tall building to leap off of.
Now you people are just being cruel!!!
!! STOP IT STOP IT STOP IT!! GWB
Mark in Boise
Posted 2007-12-08 2:13 PM (#71432 - in reply to #71422)

It used to be on the bottom of the music totem pole for me, until they came up with rap and hip hop. The newer stuff doesn't have so much of the twang that I disliked and there are some that know more than just the cowboy chords. Many also have the best lyrics, even the funny ones. For anyone with daughters of the soon to be married age, listen to "I Loved Her First." I thought the lyrics hit pretty close to home. There's also a song by Lil Texas that I like the fingerpicking on. Having a senior moment now with names. Forgot one band and one song name.
Stuart Miller
Posted 2007-12-08 2:37 PM (#71433 - in reply to #71422)

ProfBB you and I are up..."What's with the Scotsman loving Country I hear you say?"

I love narrative songs, I love the simplicity of the melodies, serious ballads tracking their genetic history straight back to Ireland and Scotland, Love the humor in many, love the pick a fight with me attitude, love the rocking sensibility dressed up in chaps, love the musician ship of a vast majority of the lead performers (can you say Brad Paisley guitarist extrordinaire!!), love how it can make me cry, make me laugh, make me happy, make me sad, and very occasionally make me puke.

Yes, yes there is some seriously mediocre stuff in there, but on the whole most of it is far more reliable than the average week in the Pop/Rock charts so dominated by the pimpin rap artists and the bling bling diva's...very attractive to look at that Beyonce girl, but give me the beauty of Martin McBride or striking good looks of Alison Krauss any day...and if I was 15 years younger Carrie Underwood would be in my dreams often....(ahem!!)
moody, p.i.
Posted 2007-12-08 2:44 PM (#71434 - in reply to #71422)

I don't know how you can generalize and say that you don't like "country music". There are so many different kinds of country music, from George Jones to Garth Brooks to Suzy Boggus. All of it different.

Like all music (including rock and roll), some of it's good, some of it's fair, and some of it sucks....
Slipkid
Posted 2007-12-08 2:44 PM (#71435 - in reply to #71422)

Well said Mr. Miller... I'm with ya.
Northcountry
Posted 2007-12-08 2:57 PM (#71436 - in reply to #71422)

What country's music are we talking about?

I can't take for long either but I will say there are some great country musicians and vocalists who I admire very much.
Other than that.....it totally sucks.
Andrea
Posted 2007-12-08 3:37 PM (#71437 - in reply to #71422)

One of the great advantages of country music is its gift for pushing rock and rollers over the edge , for that alone i love Dolly and Kenny and all those others who inhabit a world a million miles from Milton Keynes or London . I appreciate any good music lyrically , melodically ,rythmicaly, music that takes me to places i havnt been and im f**!ing bored with Rap being mindlessly critised on this forum and i dont want to speculate why that genre of music seems to be universally critised here .
Northcountry
Posted 2007-12-08 3:41 PM (#71438 - in reply to #71422)

Hum, never mentioned it before but Rap sucks more than country. :cool:
Andrea
Posted 2007-12-08 3:43 PM (#71439 - in reply to #71422)

So what doesnt suck for you Mr North Country ?
lanaki
Posted 2007-12-08 3:46 PM (#71440 - in reply to #71422)

in my opinion, there are songs in every genre that "suck". i cannot simply generalize and say that the whole category of country music sucks. not only that, the line between the different categories is often so blurred.
do the eagles suck? maybe some folks don't care for their music but they are certainly more country oriented than any other genre. i think the blend of country and rock is a good thing.
i judge all songs individually according to my taste in music and there is music fitting all the seasons and emotions of life.
i have even found myself enjoying about three rap songs over the years.

and always remember: there's nothin' wrong with rock and roll as long as your foot's on the Rock and your name's on the roll.
Waskel
Posted 2007-12-08 3:50 PM (#71441 - in reply to #71422)

Originally posted by Andrea:
im f**!ing bored with Rap being mindlessly critised on this forum and i dont want to speculate why that genre of music seems to be universally critised here .
Probably because some of us happen to think it is mind-numbingly repetitive, melodically absent, lyrically insulting and just plain annoying, especially when it's coming from the car behind you.

But that's ok, there are people who think the music I like sucks too.
Northcountry
Posted 2007-12-08 4:07 PM (#71442 - in reply to #71422)

Ohh now I did that for fun kid. Ya kinda laid it out there on a platter so I thought it might be fun to go for it. Still do.
I actually do not like to listen to rap at all, but I don't usually post about it. I gave my opinion with a "humor factor" Country does not "SUCK" I just do not like to listen to it. rap was not even on my list. Actually did not know this group regularly put it down?? Must have missed those posts. Rap does SUCK as far as this small time musician can tell. Not much there other than some clever rhyme and a political statements from one group of people, who seem to have a very narrow minded and self focused view of the world.

They do not write lyrics I can relate to..........
They do not use a musical melody or structure that I find pleasing.........
And to be honest there are dozens of examples of socially violent and racially inflaming lyrics contained in these "rap" messages that I do not like at all.........
Their image (Drug Dealing Thugs)they project to the young strong and impressionable men and women they seem to target their sales toward, is part of the problem these kids continue to live.
Er.it "SUCKS"

As for my "Does not Suck" list and many bands I have taken the time to cover. In no particular order and very incomplete;
YES
Zeppelin
Peter Gabriel
Dire Straits
The Eagles
The Who
Sting
The Police
King Crimson
Deep Purple
The Tubes
Aerosmith
Genesis
RUSH
Supertramp
PINK FLOYD
ASIA
Joe Walsh
America
Neil Young
CSN
fillhixx
Posted 2007-12-08 4:10 PM (#71443 - in reply to #71422)

Why shouldn't Country music suck occasionally? At least 60% of EVERYthing sucks!

But I love Country Music in all it's different guises. From New Country that sounds a lot like 60's-70s pop, to traditional Cryin' 'n' Hurtin' tunes that'll tear the wallpaper right off the trailer kitchen.

It is, among other things, the Folk Music of our(my) age. Singing about issues that concern me.....more often than not with an extremely high quality of musicianship involved.

As a bonus, the entire genre seems to support 'their own' and others. Quite unlike other genres where artists slag other practitioners of the same music style.

Dwight Yokum (My wifes favourite artist though she also claims to hate Country music) talks about it with love.

There's only two kinds of music. Good music and the other kind.
Duke Ellington.
For my money, bad music is just music that fails within it's own parameters.
Mark in Boise
Posted 2007-12-08 4:13 PM (#71444 - in reply to #71422)

I don't think rap is mindlessly criticized at all. The more I think about it, the more I hate it. I don't really think it's music.
colt357
Posted 2007-12-08 4:20 PM (#71445 - in reply to #71422)

"Good country" rules! Like any genre there's good and bad.

Many believe country is pretty simple stuff, but it is quite challenging to play it "right", especially the simple stuff!

Country is what I listen to and enjoy the most.

Dave
guitarwannabee
Posted 2007-12-08 4:27 PM (#71446 - in reply to #71422)

NorthCountry you forgot to put Lanaki down as one of your favorites,better fix that last post.GWB
Jump to page : 1 2 3
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclub™ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)