The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: “Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and charm and gaiety to life and to everything.” -Plato

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
OT:Island Vacation Info

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2007Message format

willard
Posted 2007-12-08 1:07 PM (#71400)
Subject: OT:Island Vacation Info

Thinking about the USVI for our 30th. Anybody have any suggestions? Wouldn't pass up the Keys if anybody had a good recomentation. We're not very fancy and don't much care for luxury.
Thanks in advance.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Slipkid
Posted 2007-12-08 1:16 PM (#71401 - in reply to #71400)
Subject: Re: OT:Island Vacation Info

A tropical vaction is high on my list, too.
If ya ever want a cabin in the smokies around Pigeon Forge I got a tip for ya.
I'm not much for the luxury scene either. I don't like people fussin' all over my doins'
willard
Posted 2007-12-08 2:41 PM (#71402 - in reply to #71400)

Brad,
I'll keep that in mind. Smokies in the fall would be nice but not in Feb.
Trader Jim
Posted 2007-12-08 2:55 PM (#71403 - in reply to #71400)

Sanibel Island in Fl is kind of nice too. Right down the street from me...but kinda pricey. The Keys are nice. You can get just about any level of luxury there, from campgrounds on the water to luxury hotels on the water. Come to think of it, just about everything there is on the water.
Beal
Posted 2007-12-08 5:19 PM (#71404 - in reply to #71400)

The Keys. Go for it.
Tim in Tidewater
Posted 2007-12-08 6:41 PM (#71405 - in reply to #71400)

Get out of the US completely and head farther south. Visit one of the ABC islands, the Dutch are awesome hosts and you won't see the same bunch of neighbors you will find in the keys. Cost wise, your looking at the same amount either place...start getting your passports now...

Curacao was my favorite of the three, I stayed at a dive lodge on the northwest end of the island but Willemstad is just down the road :)
Curacao
willard
Posted 2007-12-08 7:07 PM (#71406 - in reply to #71400)

I was hoping to avoid the passport thing and stay within the us but it does sound interesting
guitarwannabee
Posted 2007-12-08 7:57 PM (#71407 - in reply to #71400)

We seem to go to the Dutch Islands of Aruba & St.Maertan. Make sure wherever you go in the islands is to check with people who have been there recently or do it online under websites for the island you are interested in and check out the reviews by people who just vacationed there.Some of the islands that have been hit by hurricanes can sometimes take 5 years or so to get back to normal.Aruba is a safe bet but you better bring a good hat because the tradewinds never stops blowing. Bring lots of money to whatever island you go to because its expensive on any island but well worth it if you live in the North part of the states and its wintertime. Good luck to you on your trip.GWB
BluesSailor
Posted 2007-12-08 9:11 PM (#71408 - in reply to #71400)

Willard,

I'd check this place out.

Seahorse Inn, Tobago

We've had lunch here and toured the inn 4 years ago. It was $78.00US /night back then. My wife and I have repeatedly said that this is where we would go back to for a quite time together. Very simple, but nice. Beautiful beach too.

Some back ground. We spent 2 years cruising the eastern caribbean on a sailboat and saw most of what there was to see, particularly the non-touristy points. Martineque was very nice and had the most diversity and best food. Dominique the most beautiful rain forests.

Actually another favorite spot was the island of Culebra. It is part of Puerto Rico, quiet and possibly the best beach we were on. (well, almost)

Given the present times, you will need a passport if you are planning on leaving the country. Yes, this includes the USVI's and Puerto Rico. Might as well get it now.

BluesSailor
guitarwannabee
Posted 2007-12-09 12:23 AM (#71409 - in reply to #71400)

BluesSailor the Seahorse Inn resturaunt charges $25.00 for a cup of soup and $225.00 for a Ribeye steak & lobster dinner.
Someone must have to have a great income to afford this place.Im sure it is nice but
man that seems way to steep to me.GWB
CrimsonLake
Posted 2007-12-09 12:33 AM (#71410 - in reply to #71400)

GWB - that's in Trinidad and Tobego dollars. I have no idea what the exchange rate is though.
CrimsonLake
Posted 2007-12-09 12:35 AM (#71411 - in reply to #71400)

$1 US = 6.25 T&T dollars. So the prices are actually pretty good.
BluesSailor
Posted 2007-12-09 8:57 AM (#71412 - in reply to #71400)

That exchange rate sounds about right. I recall a 7:1 rate when we where there.

So much for the good ole greenback.
Starkahuna
Posted 2007-12-09 11:46 AM (#71413 - in reply to #71400)

St Thomas has good memories for us. We stayed at Secret Harbor (do a google search).
The condos are right on their own protected beach.
That's about the only place we stay on St. Thomas
Starkahuna
Posted 2007-12-09 11:50 AM (#71414 - in reply to #71400)

Look here:
http://www.secretharbourvi.com/
cliff
Posted 2007-12-09 2:34 PM (#71415 - in reply to #71400)

I'd go back to St.Martin/St.Maarten in a HEARTbeat!!

St. Thomas is equally nice (I particularly enjoyed Meaghan's Bay).

Spent one of the most beautiful afternoons of my life at "The Baths" on the island of VirginGorda(USVI). One end of the island consists of smooth, egg-shaped boulders(the size of 3-story houses) heaped on top of each other on a white sand beach.
T'get from one end of the beach to the other, you wade through knee-to-waist deep water UNDER the boulders. The boulders form a succession of "grottos" where the light filters in thru the stones and water forms flowing "pools" t'hang out in (hence the name "Baths"). Unfortunately, there's not a lot else ON VirginGorda, so it's a ferry ride/day trip (we did it from Tortola).

Islamorada (FlahKeys) is very nice!!
I personally prefer the Lower half of the Keys (between Bahia Honda and Key West).
Key West is a BLAST!, but it CAN be expensive, and the town itself IS "PartyCentral" at night).
I DO recommend the catamoran snorkel trips out of KewWest (either the Stars&Stripes or the Sebago). GREAT way to spend the afternoon! (sometimes, they'll bundle-in a KeyWest "sunset cruise" later in the day).
Bahia Honda State Park offers some of the most beautiful, secluded beaches in the chain.
Last time I was there, I ended up driving OUT of Key West t'go to Bahia Honda. I'd recommend finding a place "equidistant" & doing BOTH ends of the spectrum . . .
G8r
Posted 2007-12-09 2:57 PM (#71416 - in reply to #71400)

Willard - what are you looking for? Dive trip, just relaxing in the sun, romantic getaway? I taught SCUBA diving for 12 years and ran trips to many Caribbean islands and the Bahamas as well as the Keys. Depends on what you're looking for - a good place for a romantic or relaxing beach trip may not be the best dive destination, and vice versa.
Mr. Ovation
Posted 2007-12-09 3:21 PM (#71417 - in reply to #71400)

What g8r said. Don't over-complicate, but at the same time, search for reviews online of places you might want to go. Look for reviews where people talk about what they did. If it sounds like fun to you... then do it too.

We've been on a few cruises in the Carribean and trips to the Keys as well. It's amazing how many times you find yourself listening to one group/couple/person who is so disappointed, and mad at everything with their vacation, and another is raving that it's the best thing they did in their life and they are at the same spot. Guess which one did a little research first.

Good example... Key West to me = YAWN!!!!! Key Largo, my favorite spot in the keys. I'll bet there will be several posts that say the exact opposite. I Dive.

Key Largo = no shopping, not too many tourists, ok food, GREAT Diving.

Key West - good Shopping, Good Food, Beach stuff, Entertainment, Toursits, etc etc etc..
Mr. Ovation
Posted 2007-12-09 3:32 PM (#71418 - in reply to #71400)

Oh Yeah, another tip... If you are going to any Islands or even the Keys, check to see if there are cruise ships. Now that is a different topic all together, but check their schedules anyway, and check the excursions they are providing or offering. Those are focused to give the passengers the "best experience" for their money, so you can get some really good tips of things to do. However, you might consider NOT going on the day those ships pull in. Three or Four cruise ships hitting the same Island at the same time could really make for some annoying delays and less than personal service at places that otherwise would be rather nice. As example I would have enjoyed and seen more of the Mayan temples with a few THOUSAND LESS people there on that day.
willard
Posted 2007-12-09 4:05 PM (#71419 - in reply to #71400)

This is great stuff! I appreciate the input. We are not divers, just want to relax and listen to the surf, eat some good seafood, read, be away from the crowd and maybe snorkel a bit. We're not much into shopping or night life but a night out or two might be nice. My wife and I answer phones and work on CRT's all day so no cell service might be a good thing. the way I work is to gather as many opinions as possible and then make a decision so please keep it up.
Thanks again,
cliff
Posted 2007-12-09 4:37 PM (#71420 - in reply to #71400)

Bermuda.
(everyone should go there at least once.)
willard
Posted 2007-12-09 5:26 PM (#71421 - in reply to #71400)

Sorry, don't like the shorts or the knee socks.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclub™ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)