The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: “Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and charm and gaiety to life and to everything.” -Plato

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Getting that airy aaaahhhh sound in the background, live and recorded

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2007Message format

FlySig
Posted 2007-12-09 2:17 PM (#71306)
Subject: Getting that airy aaaahhhh sound in the background, live and recorded

So, how do they do it? The airy high notes, maybe from violin or female voices, that fill the space in feel good songs. Is it chorus, lots of reverb with no original signal, or what?
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Mr. Ovation
Posted 2007-12-09 2:33 PM (#71307 - in reply to #71306)
Subject: Re: Getting that airy aaaahhhh sound in the background, live and recorded

All of the above depending on what you are looking for.

There's also duplicating the lead or background vocals higher with a pitch shifter, and using the "oooh" and "aahhh" of a decent synth which is very popular. Korg has some of the nicest sounding ones useable out of the box.

Really just depends on what you need, but use your imagination and most importantly your ears.

Now if you really want to have some fun live... use something like a DigiTech Vocalist or the newest version... Have a female or two sing the high part and have the Digi-Vocalist put out 4 copies of the orginal(s) randomly delayed around the original. There is a preset for something close to it, on most of these units. Now I think there is a way to use the midi to drive the synth, but it may sound better if the person singing just plays the "Ahhhh's" on the synth set to a very slow attack.

Put the synth and the vocals through the same "lush" reverb.

Season to taste, stir and serve.

Types more complicated than it actually is, but really sounds great if done right.
an4340
Posted 2007-12-09 3:20 PM (#71308 - in reply to #71306)
Subject: Re: Getting that airy aaaahhhh sound in the background, live and recorded

I'm thinking you want to create or use a bed, or mood pad, like in

I'm not in love by 10cc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mBuom7juPRg

Absolute best, these days, are in a Korg Synth. The Korg synth also gives you a way to create your own. But I don't know how to do it.
FlySig
Posted 2007-12-09 4:58 PM (#71309 - in reply to #71306)

an4340, "I'm Not in Love" is a great example of one type of sound I'm looking for. Man, I used to listen to that album over and over when it first came out! Still have it, too.

Right now I'm trying to put some background into a few songs for the youth band at church, using violin. Per Miles' suggestions, I'll try putting the violin through a processor with slow attack, lush reverb, and try some chorus and digital delay.
cliff
Posted 2007-12-10 8:58 AM (#71310 - in reply to #71306)

Mellotron (or even MORE esoteric, a Chamberlin).

But as Miles said, a lot of synths have some nice choral/strings "pads". I bought a KorgX2 off Rick(an4240) last summer, and even for an older unit, has some really lush "pads".

I would doubt that Godley & Creme (10cc) did anything that "simple", and probably incorporated some type of Mellotron-ish tapelooping. . . .
Waskel
Posted 2007-12-10 10:40 AM (#71311 - in reply to #71306)

"I'm Not In Love" has a unique, incredible sound. Not surprising, considering how they achieved it. No instruments. All that background 'airy' sound like voices is... voices.

"I think they'd been at the wacky baccy at this time, and it took me a couple of hours to get my head around the idea. But then I figured how we could physically make the loops and set up the studio to do that. I rigged up a rotary capstan on a mic stand, and the tape loop had to be quite long because the splice edit point on the loop would go through the heads and there'd be a little blip each time it did. So, I had to make the loop as long as I could for it to take a long, long time to get around to the splice again. That way you wouldn't really hear the splice/blip. We're talking about a loop of about 12 feet in length going around the tape heads, around the tape-machine capstans, coming out away from the Studer stereo recorder to a little capstan on a mic stand that had to be dead in line vertically with the heads of the Studer. It was like one of those continuous belts that you see in old factories, running loads of machines, and we had to keep it rigid by putting some blocks on the mic stand legs to keep it dead, dead steady.

"It worked, but the loop itself — and this is where it gets interesting — had to be made up from multiple voices we'd done on the 16-track machine. Each note of a chromatic scale was sung 16 times, so we got 16 tracks of three people singing for each note. That was Kevin, Lol and GiGi standing around a valve Neumann U67 in the studio, singing 'Aahhh' for around three weeks. I'm telling you; three bloody weeks. We eventually had 48 voices for each note of the chromatic scale, and since there are 13 notes in the chromatic scale, this made a total of 624 voices. My next problem was how to get all that into the track.

"I mixed down 48 voices of each note of the chromatic scale from the 16-track to the Studer stereo machine to make a loop of each separate note, and then I bounced back these loops one at a time to a new piece of 16-track tape, and just kept them running for about seven minutes. Because we had people singing 'Aahhh' for a long time, there were slight tuning discrepancies that added a lovely flavour, like you get with a whole string section, with a lot of people playing. Some are not quite in time, some have slightly different tuning, but musically a lovely thing happens to that. It's a gorgeous sound. A very human sound, very warm and moving all the time. Anyway, after putting the 13 chromatic scale notes back onto the 16-track, it meant there were only three open tracks left!
Eric Stewart

Full article here.
FlySig
Posted 2007-12-10 12:42 PM (#71312 - in reply to #71306)

Wabbit, that method is going to be a bit complicated for live performances!
Waskel
Posted 2007-12-10 1:01 PM (#71313 - in reply to #71306)

Yup, that it is! (A bit complicated in the studio as well, no doubt!)

The youtube video was either lip synced (probably) or at the very least using the backing tracks.

Synths, pads, reverb and whatever else you can throw into it will get you there, but it's really hard to get a sound that 'thick' and lush without lots and lots of similar, but not exact, layers.
fillhixx
Posted 2007-12-10 1:38 PM (#71314 - in reply to #71306)

My cheapass snyth with the 3/4 size keys has a sound that says 'choir' or 'chorus'....something like that. It's close enough for live.

Buried in the mix, it's good recorded too.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclub™ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)