The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Ovation Guitars really don't get the respect they deserve!" - Alex Pepiak

Jump to page : 12
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
APHEX aural exciter

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2007Message format

dobro
Posted 2007-12-14 4:38 PM (#70338)
Subject: APHEX aural exciter

I've seen the video promo. Those of you who are using the APHEX now (Waskel, John B, an4340): How does it differ from the other Digital Sound Processors like the Fishman Aura, VIP, Zoom A21U, Magistomp, Mother Bear etc.? Is it also a gizmo that lays an "image" over your sound or is it another technology?
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Mitchrx
Posted 2007-12-14 4:51 PM (#70339 - in reply to #70338)
Subject: Re: APHEX aural exciter

The Aphex unit is not a digital sound processor. It's a frequency enhancer. It works separately on limited portions of high and low frequencies. I'm not sure of the actual electronics, but it works differently than a graphic equalizer. It makes the low end fuller but without any boominess. It also adds a natural sparkle to the high end and removes a lot of the piezo quack. The best part is that it is totally transparent in that it adds no volume. The OP-Pro Plus Ovation pre-amp has something similar but I think it only effects the high end.
dobro
Posted 2007-12-14 5:54 PM (#70340 - in reply to #70338)

Thanks, that is very helpful. Especially since it appears that no noise is added. Hey, if anyone out there wants to trade an Aphex for one of my DSP boxes (Fishman, Zoom) let me know!!!

Any testimonials about the Aphex?
moody, p.i.
Posted 2007-12-14 6:13 PM (#70341 - in reply to #70338)

Here's a great video demo...

Aphex
schroeder
Posted 2007-12-14 6:24 PM (#70342 - in reply to #70338)

Is it just me or does that guitar not sound very good either with or without the exciter?
dobro
Posted 2007-12-14 6:33 PM (#70343 - in reply to #70338)

Well, I saw that video some months ago (thanks to this site). I agree: quacky, not too impressive, though the presentation is excellent. Schroeder: do YOU employ the DSP images available throught the MagicStomp? I just don't relate to them (the other effects are great, however).
schroeder
Posted 2007-12-14 6:38 PM (#70344 - in reply to #70338)

I don't have the modern Magicstomp - I have the old steam-driven AG Stomp. The Custom Legend sounds best through the Hawaian lap steel setting or something like that, similarly the Country artist and the ute. I just turn the knob until it sounds right. What I really like abpout the AG Stomp is the eq and the reverbs. It's also bigger and I have very big feet. This should never be underestimated in importance.
dobro
Posted 2007-12-14 6:43 PM (#70345 - in reply to #70338)

I agree: also DIG the industrial construction (you could probably find a way to use it when changing tires). BTW can you dial up reverb and chorus simultaneously on your model?
schroeder
Posted 2007-12-14 7:05 PM (#70346 - in reply to #70338)

Yes.
(I think).
I'll check and let you know - I don't like chorus much so unless it's already included in a sound patch I don't dial it in. Reverbs are my weakness.
I'm still looking for that Chartres Cathedral sound. And no I've never tried to sneak a guitar into Chartres cathedral. I went to an organ recital in L'Eglise de Saint Sulpice on the left bank in Paris two years ago and the sound made the hairs on my neck stand up. The best sound production I ever heard. Catholic churches are always best. And modern churches of any denomination are pathetic. Church architects these days just throw in a sound system and figure it's an acceptable substitute. Like the music it's all dumbed down these days. Another old man's beef againsyt the modern world.
dobro
Posted 2007-12-14 7:10 PM (#70347 - in reply to #70338)

Yes, I know the church well (having lived ther for a year). You will surely appreciate this clip of Jan Garbarek and his "I took up the runes" band.
schroeder
Posted 2007-12-14 7:19 PM (#70348 - in reply to #70338)

Fantastic. And great sound for YouTube video. Must have been breathtaking live. I saw Ravi Shankar play in a cathedral once - similar results. 500 years ago they could reproduce sound without electricity that the finest studios in the world can't match. Maybe it's just the kind of music I like that fits cathedrals so well. I guess Pink Floyd or EVH might find the sound a little muddy in there. I am soooooooooo old.
Mark in Boise
Posted 2007-12-14 7:52 PM (#70349 - in reply to #70338)

I suspect that those old churches were built so that the parishioners could hear the priest, who spent most of his time with his back to them, as he talked or chanted in Latin, without amplification. Some of them you can hear a whisper from across the room. In this country we tear down the old buildings.
lanaki
Posted 2007-12-14 8:07 PM (#70350 - in reply to #70338)

youtube is great. to be able to hear and see
this kind of music at the click of button is splendid.
dobro
Posted 2007-12-14 8:13 PM (#70351 - in reply to #70338)

No kidding. Did you watch "Macaroni", "Makanani"... (or something like that) by some guy on an Adamas? Spectacular!
alpep
Posted 2007-12-14 8:15 PM (#70352 - in reply to #70338)

moody temp and I maybe with Michael wong saw bresh do that in person WOW WOW WOW what a player
Paul Templeman
Posted 2007-12-14 8:34 PM (#70353 - in reply to #70338)

Dobro, do an archive search on this, it's been discussed before. Several times, but if it helps, the Aphex Acoustic Exciter is generally held in pretty high regard.

But, as you know, your tone comes from your guitar and your hands and your soul and to a much lesser extent, your electronic equipment. If you don't have a sound going on when you play unplugged it doesn't matter what magic box or electronics you may have purchased, it'll still sound like you need to buy something else.

Dobro, you don't need to buy anything else.
lanaki
Posted 2007-12-14 10:58 PM (#70354 - in reply to #70338)

Originally posted by Paul Templeman:

Dobro, you don't need to buy anything else.
truer words were hardly spoken
dobro
Posted 2007-12-14 11:42 PM (#70355 - in reply to #70338)

Now, is that a good thing? Or does it mean I'm doomed?

Just to clarify: Jeff and I (as I'm sure many here) play very different rooms. I have the feeling that the sound is always changing. New challenges every time. So I am keen on having options, control. Perhpas an illusion; I am willing to admit that.
an4340
Posted 2007-12-14 11:46 PM (#70356 - in reply to #70338)

I used it. Don't use it now. Why? Don't need it. If I plug in I use my little alesis 6fx mixer. It does what I need it do.

That said, it is a cool box, and some people swear by 'em.

PS I have to agree with PT (aka acoustirat numero uno), you don't need it.
John B
Posted 2007-12-15 5:28 AM (#70357 - in reply to #70338)

Dobro: As I mentioned in the other thread, the thing that I like about the Aphex is that it does not "process" the sound much. I've tried a lot of processors, many of which boast digital models that can make your guitar sound like a particular type of guitar, mic, etc. I personally am not interested in trying to make my Adamas sound like a Martin 28 or any other guitar. The Aphex enhances your sound while preserving the tone of your guitar. It also fuctions as a D.I. even when the unit is turned off. In my opinion, you can't go wrong for the money.
Paul Templeman
Posted 2007-12-15 8:03 AM (#70358 - in reply to #70338)

Don't get me wrong it's a great little box, and it does exactly what it says on the tin. However I have found that the better the original guitar sound then the Aphex process is pretty subtle. Also if you over-process it can sound pretty horrible and encourage low-end feedback.

The other danger is that stacking pre-amp after pre-amp, gain-stage upon gain-stage, is asking for trouble unless you know exactly what you are doing.
John B
Posted 2007-12-15 8:45 AM (#70359 - in reply to #70338)

Originally posted by Paul Templeman:
Don't get me wrong it's a great little box, and it does exactly what it says on the tin. However I have found that the better the original guitar sound then the Aphex process is pretty subtle. Also if you over-process it can sound pretty horrible and encourage low-end feedback.

The other danger is that stacking pre-amp after pre-amp, gain-stage upon gain-stage, is asking for trouble unless you know exactly what you are doing.
John B
Posted 2007-12-15 8:47 AM (#70360 - in reply to #70338)

Exactly. Most of the time, the only pedal I use is the Aphex. I'll add some compression or chorus to some fingerstyle stuff, but other than that, I've abondoned most of the effects in favor of a more natural sound.
dobro
Posted 2007-12-15 12:28 PM (#70361 - in reply to #70338)

Thanks for the insight on the APHEX, however. I don't like DSP but this is a very different little beast, apparently.

Now, my Legend and Adamas are absolutely "tits" unplugged, so I'm gonna take the advice here...

I am aware of the fact that any virtue in my latest attempts at recording comes from just sitting right in front of a great mic (AKG C 3000 B)!!
FlicKreno aka Solid Top
Posted 2007-12-15 3:41 PM (#70362 - in reply to #70338)

Now I`m confused, Gregg, was n`t this thread about performing ..?...since the AKG C3000B is a Recording Mic., wich, (in my not so humble opinion) sounds a little "tingy" to begin with, according to that video-demo the APHEX sounds just that , "tingy"...and that church, like all the other (Gothic) churches sounds "hollow", kind-a-like the good old "Bath Room" effect, so a "Large Hall Echo" could do the tric I`d say, short of recording y`erself in the bathroom with that C3000B that is, now, for performing, the AKG C535EB would be a far better choice, this all based on trial, blood sweat and tears, and a Great deal of PREJUDISM...oh, btw, are n`t you using a BOSE LD1, wich is quite capable of sounding "hollow"...then again, "TAMBOURA" sounds nicely "hollow" allready, any more adding of that, and I`ll be addressing you as " Y`er hollowness "... :)
( something I normally reserve for Randi ) ;)

Vic

...my confusion is confusing to me.. :rolleyes:
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)