The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Jazz... isn't that just a series of mistakes disguised as musical composition?” - David St. Hubbins of Spinal Tap

Jump to page : 12
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Left handed question

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2007Message format

Andrea
Posted 2007-12-16 12:42 PM (#70129)
Subject: Left handed question

My boy Joey's mate Fionntan has just got an electric guitar causing him to now have extra interest in his very talented mothers guitar playing who he had previously taken forgranted. ( Think what sealed it was playing Wild Thing top volume at 9.30 am when i went to pick him up from a sleep over from his mates unmusical house )
Anyways Joey is naturally left handed ( writes with left hand , ) and goes to pick it up left handedly , however i have shown him chords as a right hander and he seems to manage this and appears ambiwotsit . Left handers is this ok and maybe an advantage or should i give him the choice or try him with a left handed guitar ??? Thanking you for your advice
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Jeff W.
Posted 2007-12-16 12:49 PM (#70130 - in reply to #70129)
Subject: Re: Left handed question

Convert the boy.
Lefty's are evil... I offer the following documentation...

In many European languages, including English, the word for "right" (in a directional sense) also means "correct" or "proper". Throughout history, being left-handed is considered negative - the Latin word sinistra (from which the English word "sinister" was derived, along with various Romance language derivatives) meant "left" as well as "unlucky". There are many negative connotations associated with the phrase "left-handed": clumsy, awkward, unlucky, insincere, sinister, malicious, and so on. The French word gauche means both "left" and "awkward" or "clumsy", whereas the French word droite, "right," is akin to droit, "straight," "law," and "right" as in "human rights." The name "Dexter" derives from the Latin for "right". As these are all very old words, they would tend to support theories indicating that the predominance of right-handedness is an extremely old phenomenon.

The Inuit believed that every left-handed person was a sorcerer.[citation needed] A Japanese man could divorce his wife if he discovered that she was left-handed.

In Taiwan, left-handed people were strongly encouraged to switch to being right-handed (or at least, switch to writing with the right hand). In general, it is considered more difficult to write legible Chinese characters with the left hand than it is to write Latin letters, though difficulty is subjective and depends on the person in question. Because writing when moving one's hand away from its side of the body can cause smudging if the outward side of the hand is allowed to drag across the writing, it is considered easier to write the Latin alphabet with the right hand than with the left. Conversely, right-to-left alphabets such as the Arabic and Hebrew are considered easier to write with the left hand in general.

It has been hypothesized that some sun worshipers have grown to associate their left sides with evil, since people facing north would see the sun set on their left. The evidence for this is very weak, however, as the opposite conclusion can be drawn when one considers a person facing south (the opposite direction). It has been suggested that there may be a preference for northern hemisphere dwellers to face the North Star when making direction judgments. This may, however, be related to the fact that more landmass, and therefore, more people, exist in the northern hemisphere than the southern hemisphere.

In Christianity, frequent references reinforce the positive aspects of "right" and "right hand" (side). In particular, the Bible indicates that Jesus sits at the right hand of God, or indeed is the right hand of God. Thus, faith may guide followers toward right-side preference. Christianity has had far-reaching effects on many societies throughout history, potentially strengthening the spread of right-side preference.
Andrea
Posted 2007-12-16 1:03 PM (#70131 - in reply to #70129)

I suspect drugs alcohol and boredom have played a part in your responce Mr Whitehead , may i join you ??
Jeff W.
Posted 2007-12-16 1:14 PM (#70132 - in reply to #70129)

I could make room on the couch- if I clear off the bong, the bottles and sit upright....
Beal
Posted 2007-12-16 1:17 PM (#70133 - in reply to #70129)

Don't fall over Jeff.
an4340
Posted 2007-12-16 1:30 PM (#70134 - in reply to #70129)

Whoa Jeff, that's an answer!

Seriously, though, I started playing as a lefty, but within a week switched to playing righty, as the guitars were set up for righties and I didn't know about changing the strings and the angle of the bridge, fixing the nut and my sister who showed me my first chord shapes was a righty ... so that was it. I think it's probably more difficult to switch, probably about 6 months delay, but once you get the brain cells going in the righty direction it works out.

It would have taken me about 6 months, I suppose to find a lefty guitar (I new nothing when I started) so it was wash.

Since he has you for an advisor, start him as a lefty.
Jeff W.
Posted 2007-12-16 1:50 PM (#70135 - in reply to #70129)

Andrea
Posted 2007-12-16 2:20 PM (#70136 - in reply to #70129)

welcome to my world
moody, p.i.
Posted 2007-12-16 4:28 PM (#70137 - in reply to #70129)

I'm left handed and play right. Jeff's right. I am evil.

Teach him to play right handed. More guitar choices and it puts his best hand on the fingerboard. The notion of playing right handed or left handed is silly as when you start, it doesn't make any difference which hand goes where....
cliff
Posted 2007-12-16 4:39 PM (#70138 - in reply to #70129)

". . I'm left handed and play right . ."

Masturbation doesn't "count".

Did'you get the pic I e-mailed??
cliff
Posted 2007-12-16 4:41 PM (#70139 - in reply to #70129)

". . Fionntan . ." ????

Teach him t'play "righty"

He's gonna' have a hard time getting through life as it IS . . .
Jeff W.
Posted 2007-12-16 4:43 PM (#70140 - in reply to #70129)

I was gonna ask if he wore a ruffled collar, but thought better of it.
moody, p.i.
Posted 2007-12-16 4:46 PM (#70141 - in reply to #70129)

Jeff, I'm gonna slap you with my left hand......

Clifford, masturbation always counts...
cliff
Posted 2007-12-16 4:48 PM (#70142 - in reply to #70129)

". . I was gonna ask if he wore a ruffled collar, but thought better of it. . ."

". . b'I don't WANNA be a pirate!! . ."
an4340
Posted 2007-12-16 5:14 PM (#70143 - in reply to #70129)

I switched from being a goofy foot when I bought my first snoboard because that was the way it was set up, though I can bat both ways ... Moody may have a point about their being more options, but I still think that he'll learn quicker if he's a lefty though. Paul McCartny's done OK.

Poor Kid, how'd he get stuck with a name like that.
Jeff W.
Posted 2007-12-16 5:24 PM (#70144 - in reply to #70129)

Originally posted by moody, p.i.:
Jeff, I'm gonna slap you with my left hand......
I was referring to Fionntan, Paul

-but, if the collar fits....
FlicKreno aka Solid Top
Posted 2007-12-16 7:21 PM (#70145 - in reply to #70129)

Why torture a child..?..there are FINE LeftHanded guitars on the market, both my sons are LeftHanded, both have a L/H guitar,...and they play `em...on occasion..like when the world-web takes a nose-dive..

Vic
Andrea
Posted 2007-12-16 7:27 PM (#70146 - in reply to #70129)

Jeeeez , how the heck does this happen :eek: , its like ovation massacre , when i got my new guitar ...dead cats ... my boys left handed and has a mate of Irish descent and its masturbation fest , ....."Fintan" its celtic ..... its a butch Irish name you wacked out Americanos
Anyways "Clifford ", i rest my case
moody, p.i.
Posted 2007-12-16 7:28 PM (#70147 - in reply to #70129)

Why teach a kid to play left handed? What difference does it make except that he'll never be able to buy a new Ovation LX.

Please tell me the advantage of teaching a left handed kid to play left handed?
Andrea
Posted 2007-12-16 7:30 PM (#70148 - in reply to #70129)

Thanks to the left handers for advice xx
cliff
Posted 2007-12-17 12:02 AM (#70149 - in reply to #70129)

btw; "Clifford" is of Anglo-Saxon origin, and they haven't yet quite found ALL of the body parts of the LAST person who tried to link me with the cartoon dog . . .
lanaki
Posted 2007-12-17 12:33 AM (#70150 - in reply to #70129)

Originally posted by cliff:
btw; "Clifford" is of Anglo-Saxon origin, and they haven't yet quite found ALL of the body parts of the LAST person who tried to link me with the cartoon dog . . .
they're at KFC. parts is parts.

does "KFC" stand for "kibbles from clifford"?
Jeff
Posted 2007-12-17 12:54 AM (#70151 - in reply to #70129)

Speaking as a lefty, if the kid CAN learn to play right handed, I'd encourage him to do so. It'll allow him limitless choices when it comes to buying guitars, and makes open jam sessions a lot more fun and easy. But, if he's like me, my first guitar teacher tried to get me to play righty in the worst way, but as hard as I tried it just never felt "right" (no pun intended), even though I eat, write and throw a ball with my right hand. Go figure... :rolleyes:
Watchme22
Posted 2007-12-17 12:28 PM (#70152 - in reply to #70129)

Andrea, I am speaking as a left hander that plays left handed. IF your son can learn to play right handed then that would be best for some or most of the reasons listed above. If nothing else it opens himself up to a incredably wider range of guitars to play with. Also it will allow him to pick-up any guitar at a friends house and play. Most instruction materials are for right handers. I sit here on this board and read of all the new (or old) guitars the members are playing and trading and selling and passing around for test rides and feel completely frustrated that I can't participate in the discussions because I will never be able to try these guitars without special ordering and purchasing each one just to try it out. Having said that, if he wants to play it lefty, that's a lot better than not playing at all. As for Jeff W's rant above, society has always wanted to subdivide itself for the purpose increasing one's self worth by demeaning others included in a minority. The subdivision I live in is divided by those who have three sides of brick on their house and those who just have one side brick on their house. It's embedded in the DNA somehow.
Jeff W.
Posted 2007-12-17 12:55 PM (#70153 - in reply to #70129)

Originally posted by Andrea:
Jeeeez , how the heck does this happen :eek: , its like ovation massacre , when i got my new guitar ...dead cats ... my boys left handed and has a mate of Irish descent and its masturbation fest , ....."Fintan" its celtic ..... its a butch Irish name you wacked out Americanos
Anyways "Clifford ", i rest my case
I'm particularly proud that we don't let good advice get in the way of irrelevant, insulting and otherwise socially questionable banter.

May I add that, though I don't see much resemblance between Clifford and the "Big Red Dog", I have seen Cliff's ears go back and his tongue hang-out like that upon being offered a glass slide of Patron...
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclub™ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)