The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "It's much too late to do anything about rock & roll now ..." - Jerry Garcia / Grateful Dead

Jump to page : 123
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
RIP Dan Fogleberg

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2007Message format

Thanksforallthefish
Posted 2007-12-17 8:17 AM (#70037 - in reply to #70012)
Subject: Re: RIP Dan Fogleberg

"Captured Angel" no longer.. Fly and Play!

you'll be missed here.

Glenn
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Weaser P
Posted 2007-12-17 8:20 AM (#70038 - in reply to #70012)

Obviously he influenced many guitarists over the years with great material. Phoenix was one of my favorites but there were several.

RIP, Dan. Thanks for the memories.
Captain Lovehandles
Posted 2007-12-17 8:35 AM (#70039 - in reply to #70012)

I was driving last night and singing The Last Nail to myself, and thinking I should play it again (never stopped playing Old TN, Crow, or Tell Me To My Face). Came home to see that he'd died. RIP.
ProfessorBB
Posted 2007-12-17 9:00 AM (#70040 - in reply to #70012)

I met him in Mesa Verda National Park back in the mid-70's. We sat one evening at a campfire. Long story.
an4340
Posted 2007-12-17 9:24 AM (#70041 - in reply to #70012)

Vaya con Dios Dan!
I am sad.
cliff
Posted 2007-12-17 10:05 AM (#70042 - in reply to #70012)

It was kinda' "eerie" (for me) the whole timing of this.

Friday night was our next-to-the-last gig together, and we (as we usually do this time of year) threw in some Christmas tunes.

"Same Auld Lang Syne" is usually a staple, but the place was a bit "raucous" so we opted for louder, up-tempo seasonal tunes, and left it out.

The following night, I'm standing at the Express line at the supermarket, and it's playing over the loudspeakers and I thought ". . Damn! we shoulda' PLAYED that ANYWAY!! . . what a great tune!! . ."
(for those that might not know, Fogleberg admits to "stealing" the melody from Tchaikovsky's "1812 Overture")
I'm kicking myself for not playing it (this Sat. for sure).

In the late 70's I was enrolled at the GuitarStudyCenter which was owned/operated by Paul Simon's brother Eddie several stories above the old Copacabana in Manhattan.

Their policy was that if you were enrolled in one class, you could "sit-in" and "audit" any OTHER class (providing there was an empty seat). The only class you couldn't sit-in on was Vocal Training. To get around this, I enrolled in Voice and audited a few Guitar classes. The problem was that I was a bit too "advanced" a singer for Beginner Voice class, but was pre-required to take it before moving on to Intermediate. After the initial breathing excercises and the "hitting" notes that the teacher played on the piano, we each had to sing a song. I got stuck with Elvis' "Love Me Tender". "Nailed" the song, but at the end the instructor asked why I seemed to sing it with a degree of "disdain". When I told her that I absolutely loathed Presley (and that song in particular), she suggested that I bring in songs that I wanted t'do.

In subsequent weeks, I brought in a variety of singer-songwriter tunes, and accompanied myself on guitar since the instructor was unfamiliar to play them on piano. Fogleberg tunes were pretty much a staple (I particularly remember doing "These Days" and "The Last Nail" from "Captured Angel"). I'd run through the songs once, and instead of her critique-ing them, she used to coerce me into teaching HER how to play the songs, as she had never heard them, and was completely enthralled by 'em). I learned a lot from (and owed a lot to) the guy.

He always got stuck with the whole "SoftRock" thing, but the guy really DID have some decent guitar chops, and WAS a great writer. Saw him a BUNCH of times (solo & with a band), and he could really "connect" with an audience.

". . Blessed the Traveler who Journeys the Length of the Light . ." - D.F.
moody, p.i.
Posted 2007-12-17 10:07 AM (#70043 - in reply to #70012)

5 years of knowing you and I finally realize that it's Fogelberg that you sound like (similar voice).
cliff
Posted 2007-12-17 10:17 AM (#70044 - in reply to #70012)

Funny that you mention that (and it factors into the whole weird "timing" thing) :

For the past TOO many weeks, I've been working on an original tune (my first), and last week while struggling with a semblance of a "piano" part, I was listening to it back (for eighty-somethingth time) and thought "y'know, this almost sounds like it could be an old Fogleberg tune"
PEZ
Posted 2007-12-17 11:12 AM (#70045 - in reply to #70012)

He was a talent and will be missed
gulfcoast
Posted 2007-12-17 11:27 AM (#70046 - in reply to #70012)

The first tune i learned on guitar was stars. I was 19 years old and already playing drums for a living but the drive to play guitar was pulling me hard. Words can`t say how much Fogelbergs music means to myself and my family. In the 80`s I became friends with Fogelbergs producer and studio bass player Norbert Putnam and he spent many hours telling me stories about people he had worked with, Elvis and Fogelberg being his faves to tell tells about. This is bad news but I`m glad the music will live on.
2stix
Posted 2007-12-17 12:27 PM (#70047 - in reply to #70012)

I was just thinking about him last week and how it had been too long since I had last seen him in concert, and wondered why he hadn't done one in a while. I don't like this reason. One of my all-time favorites. His music always seemed to come right from his heart and always struck a chord with mine...
Stevechapman
Posted 2007-12-17 2:01 PM (#70048 - in reply to #70012)

The news this morning really Bummed me out more than i already was. I saw Dan 3 Times The last one the year his full Circle cd was released. R.I.P. Dan You will be missed!
Mark in Boise
Posted 2007-12-17 7:59 PM (#70049 - in reply to #70012)

Like many of us, I often get a little blue around Christmas and Old Lang Syne always seemed to fit the mood. A good friend from Illinois was also a fan and said he had seen him and his brother perform in Illinois. He said his brother was better, but Dan was more popular. I think he also knew him from someplace in Colorado that he called the Ranch. Lots of performers spent time there. I wish the guy was still around to refresh my memory of those conversations, but he died falling off a ladder putting away his Christmas lights.
I am going to dig out my Fogelberg albums tonight and I resolve to finally get a new stylus for the turntable so I can play them again. I'm sure many more memories will come flooding back, but most of them from that era are good ones.
Dan must have been a great influence. He inspired one of Cliff's longer posts.
Patch
Posted 2007-12-17 8:24 PM (#70050 - in reply to #70012)

Originally posted by Mark in Boise:
I never could figure out his guitar stuff and only recently learned he used a lot of alternate tunings.
I've always enjoyed his music immensely, but the song that hit me the hardest, when I was about 10 YO growing up in Pittsburgh, was The Reach. This is one of those rare songs that almost captures the sweeping grandeur of the coast and the ocean. That song was the beginning of my love of the coast.

When I started playing guitar in college, this was one of the first songs I tried to learn, but I couldn't get it to sound right. Fifteen years later, I had started to experiment with alternate tunings, and one night while I was just noodling around in Open-D, I happened to play the opening chords to The Reach. It's about as close as I've ever come to an epiphany! Playing that song in open-D on my '97 Collectors brings back all of my years on the Gulf of Mexico and in Savannah. And it always makes me smile to remember.

And for that alone, I can only say "Thank you, Mr Fogelberg. Your gift for melody was lovely, but your gift for lyrics was timeless. May you rest in peace."
cliff
Posted 2007-12-17 9:35 PM (#70051 - in reply to #70012)

There is a very good 4-CD compilation called "Portrait" available.

If you're a fan & don't have a lot on CD, I highly recommend it. Put it on yer ChristmasList . . .
Mark in Boise
Posted 2007-12-17 10:07 PM (#70052 - in reply to #70012)

Thanks, Cliff. I just checked the albums (vinyl)and I have 4 of them, but the last one was High Country Snows. I didn't really like it and never bought another, till we got a couple of his greatest hits type CDs. I think we had some tapes, too, but SWMBO sold all our cassettes in a garage sale.
Old Man Arthur
Posted 2007-12-17 10:31 PM (#70053 - in reply to #70012)

Yeah, Ol' Dan was a cool balladeer.
I'm kinda embarrassed to admit this, but there are a bunch of musicians that have passed lately that I had forgotten about.
Upon Dan's passing, I went and downloaded a few of his songs, that I had not thought about in years.
"Oh Yeah! Those were some good mellow tunes..."
I need to get back to my musical roots.
I can't just wait for someone else to die to be reminded of their Talent.
Mark in Boise
Posted 2007-12-17 10:56 PM (#70054 - in reply to #70012)

I just checked for Portrait on Amazon. There's one used one for $895. Looks like someone may be trying to profit from his death. I may just buy the rest of his CDs that are still available new. The only CD of his I have is The Essential. We have CDs stashed in a few places in the house, some in the cabin and some in 3 cars, so there may be more around here somewhere.
lanaki
Posted 2007-12-17 11:07 PM (#70055 - in reply to #70012)

there are a handful of sets on eBay currently. all hovering around $100 with 1-2 days left on the auctions.
gulfcoast
Posted 2007-12-17 11:25 PM (#70056 - in reply to #70012)

I almost bought his D35 just before he got sick. He had a bunch of guitars for sale at that time. The D35 was the guitar he wrote and recorded his first three records with. Gruhn was asking $10.000 for it and that was not a bad price for a 70s D35 with his name on it. Those guitars mostly sat there until the word got out he was sick then within a week almost all the guitars were gone...
Joey Joe
Posted 2007-12-18 10:50 AM (#70057 - in reply to #70012)

His Christmas CD is in my holiday music rotation every year - just listened to it Saturday night. Sorry to see him go.
alan814
Posted 2007-12-18 6:42 PM (#70058 - in reply to #70012)

Just now getting around to putting in my two cents. Heard the news yesterday before I left for work and was bummed out. I saw him about 20 years ago (acoustic solo tour) and was impressed by how well his songs came across solo. Took my them 10 year old son with me and surprisely even he seemed to enjoy listening to Dan. I agree with everyone elses sentiment - he will be missed.
cliff
Posted 2007-12-19 11:54 AM (#70059 - in reply to #70012)

Just read that Stephen Stills has been diagnosed w/prostate cancer & will be undergoing surgery after NewYears . . . hope everything works out for him . . .
Phil Wong
Posted 2007-12-19 12:10 PM (#70060 - in reply to #70012)

Originally posted by cliff:
There is a very good 4-CD compilation called "Portrait" available.

If you're a fan & don't have a lot on CD, I highly recommend it. Put it on yer ChristmasList . . .
I hope this is a typo. If not-some people really have some set of ba--s!
Dan Fogelberg\'s Portrait CD on Amazon.com
lanaki
Posted 2007-12-19 12:14 PM (#70061 - in reply to #70012)

i'm very sorry to hear about stills. i also hope the best for him. his album, "stills 2", is one of my all-time favorites and i gotta get a dose of it 2-3 times a month.
Jump to page : 1 2 3
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)