The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Ovation Guitars really don't get the respect they deserve!" - Alex Pepiak

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Bowl preferences for playing...

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2007Message format

Jewel's Mom a/k/a Joisey Goil #1
Posted 2007-12-18 5:30 PM (#69604)
Subject: Bowl preferences for playing...

Here's one I don't think I've seen before: of the five acoustic bowl shapes (super shallow, artist, mid-depth, deep, and contour), which do you prefer--and why? (If I've missed one, please include it.)
I'll start--because of my shoulder issues, the artist bowl--much more sound than the super-shallow, but no painful results like with the mid- and deep ones. (Sorry, Gertrude--you know I'd play you if I could... :( )

--Karen
(Yes, I know, at some point early on this thread will probably go south, but please...do try to restrain yourselves.) ;) :D
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Slipkid
Posted 2007-12-18 5:34 PM (#69605 - in reply to #69604)
Subject: Re: Bowl preferences for playing...

I like the deep bowl.
All else being equal, they give more sound.
Holding one has never been an issue for me.
schroeder
Posted 2007-12-18 5:49 PM (#69606 - in reply to #69604)

Mid bowl is definitely most comfortable for me, but the deep bowl doesn't give me any grief. The only bowl-slippage I've ever had is on my shallow bowl, but only rarely.
Mark in Boise
Posted 2007-12-18 6:00 PM (#69607 - in reply to #69604)

I prefer the sound of the deep bowl. Occasionally, my shoulder aches after playing, but I'm not so sure it doesn't after playing the mid, artist or super-shallow bowls. I just don't play those as much.
I rarely play standing up, and have never had a slippage problem with any roundbowl. I've tried the contour bowl and did not like how it felt against my chest. My daughter disliked the feel of the contour bowl more than I did.
Steve
Posted 2007-12-18 6:12 PM (#69608 - in reply to #69604)

My 1624 midbowl is very comfortable. I'd like to try a DS-778 midbowl Longneck for comparison.
Tupperware
Posted 2007-12-18 6:30 PM (#69609 - in reply to #69604)

Karen, I think you really need to consider two different type responses. 1) what is most comfortable, 2) what sounds best. The overall answer is probably some compromise of the both. AND there are always exceptions. My Glen Campbell guitar is one of the best sounding Ovation I own, and it has an ARTIST bowl. For comfort, I love the contour bowl. But I played an import Ultra with a contour bowl that didn't sound too great. I guess for me there's really no "one" answer, except maybe am OM or 000 sized rosewood box.

Dave
Capo Guy
Posted 2007-12-18 8:54 PM (#69610 - in reply to #69604)

I like the depth of my Country Artist,(Artist depth I believe), I have 3 deep bowls which are not a problem but like the slightly shallower bowl.

I also have a super shallow on my CC059 which is almost like playing an electric.

Dave has a good suggestion in a 000 or 0M sized as I also have a 000X1 Martin which is a very comfortable guitar to play and has a nice balanced tone.
moody, p.i.
Posted 2007-12-18 9:05 PM (#69611 - in reply to #69604)

Mid depth bowl is the cat's ass, but I've been playing deep bowls so long that I don't even think about them. They are second nature to me....
an4340
Posted 2007-12-18 9:21 PM (#69612 - in reply to #69604)

Well, I suppose some people would say that if they're switching from acoustic to electric at a gig then a shallow bowl or a viper, but really I haven't had a problem with any depth bowl, and each one has a different sound suitable for a different purpose so it's not an issue.
Paulcc1
Posted 2007-12-18 10:59 PM (#69613 - in reply to #69604)

Karen I think Dave is right "two different type responses. 1) what is most comfortable, 2) what sounds best."

As for me I have only owned two a Shallow and mid depth bowls. Both very comfortable but as for tone I would have to say mid depth all the way. At least for me.
Pauly
stephent28
Posted 2007-12-19 12:18 AM (#69614 - in reply to #69604)

I love deep bowls, loath the shallow bowls but I am really starting to appreciate the feel of the contour bowls.
edensharvest
Posted 2007-12-19 3:27 AM (#69615 - in reply to #69604)

If you play on stage primarily or only, I'd always prefer the shallow, as I feel freer (is that a word?) playing it, more like an electric, and I actually believe that it feeds back WAY less than a more acoustically-projecting instrument.

For acoustic sound, I love the contour on my CL12'er. It's like the deep bowl, only better projecting, IMHO. Feels good either standing or seated, though none of the bowl sizes is really uncomfortable. Maybe the Adamas deep bowls, which sitting down give me a little arm cramp after a long session.

I've actually played all five sizes you mentioned, and I think that the tone is more dependant on the exact build makeup of the guitar than the bowl size. Like Dave said, I've played some mid and shallower bowls that sounded great, and a couple deeper ones that really sucked. I have a 1547 prototype model with the shallow bowl (one of the first, I believe) that produces more sound than my old 1617 deep body Legend...you just never know.
ProfessorBB
Posted 2007-12-19 9:03 AM (#69616 - in reply to #69604)

No question about it for comfort . . . the EA Viper and VXT. However, the deep bowls have never been uncomfortable for me. I've had them for 35 years so the slight roll up position feels very natural for me and reduces the sharp 90 degree angle of the lower bout edge where it makes contact with your arm. Incidently, the round edging on the Adamas models also reduces the sharp edge.
FlySig
Posted 2007-12-19 10:52 AM (#69617 - in reply to #69604)

My experience is limited compared to many here. But that won't stop me from opining on the matter...

I really like the mid bowl for comfort when seated and for sound. The mid does bug me a little bit when standing when it tries to roll face up. But, I find it a lot more comfortable than a regular wood box dreadnought for either sitting or standing.

The contour. Well, I really really liked it the first time I played one in Guitar Center. Consistently the contour bowls in GC sound better than the mids. Despite old strings and battling the aural assault penetrating the acoustic room from the main room in GC, the contours sound slightly fuller.

But, I find that it angles slightly towards the floor for me. The contour angle is a bit too much maybe. Anyhow, especially when standing it feels like the guitar is facing the floor a little bit.

For me, the mid is the right compromise. My new-to-me used 6778LX-VN with the mid bowl sounds amazing, even better than my daughter's 1778T. Without having done a side-by-side comparison, I would say it holds it's own against the 1778LC contour bowl in GC.

I do not like the shallow for comfort or for acoustic sound, though have never plugged one in.
Akami
Posted 2007-12-19 11:17 AM (#69618 - in reply to #69604)

I used to like the mid-bowl best but now just like them all, other than the contour which I've not yet played.

Onstage I'm always using the deep-bowl or mid-bowl, but practicing it's almost always the mid or shallow.

As far as tone goes, they just all strike me as different tones and although I would choose my deep-bowl over the rest if I had to pick one, I'd be less than disappointed if the shallow was my only guitar. Especially with the heavier Elixirs I've been using I just love the bottom end, which is just so punchy.
an4340
Posted 2007-12-19 11:22 AM (#69619 - in reply to #69604)

I have to agree with Prof BB, the round backs are more comfortable ... Because of the ever so slight roll up, due to the round back, I don't get the dig in my right arm from the upper bout that a wood box gives you.
Watchme22
Posted 2007-12-19 11:37 AM (#69620 - in reply to #69604)

I like the Mid Bowl as well, with my body shape and the shape of the deep bowl it's like trying to stack BBs.
geardaddy37
Posted 2007-12-19 5:09 PM (#69621 - in reply to #69604)

I love this thread! You guys are absolutely over the edge with your "Ovaphilia"...the comments about the "wood boxes" are hilarious!!
I have been noticing that handcrafted wood bodied guitars are starting to look more and more like Ovations in their design aspects. anyone else notice this? Abnyway I think its interesting how the haters are becoming more like the thing they hate every year...
moody, p.i.
Posted 2007-12-19 5:18 PM (#69622 - in reply to #69604)

I think I need to go back and change my answer. I thought this thread was about bowels, not bowls.....
schroeder
Posted 2007-12-19 5:23 PM (#69623 - in reply to #69604)

It would make more sense of the "cat's ass" comment.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)