The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "I've always felt that blues, rock 'n' roll and country are just about a beat apart."-Waylon Jennings

Jump to page : 12
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Viper III with a 12 string neck - Help

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2007Message format

maxdaddy7271
Posted 2007-12-21 5:42 AM (#69559 - in reply to #69534)
Subject: Re: Viper III with a 12 string neck - Help

Oh, and I don't see the point of 3 pups on a 12 either. But hey, I'm just a simple sandwich man...
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Mr. Ovation
Posted 2007-12-21 6:18 AM (#69560 - in reply to #69534)

BruDev or Mauvais
Just to be clear as mud, as I hadn't really thought about the correlation between windings and impedance... How can one tell if a Viper Bridge pickup is for a Viper III or a Viper II ?

My experience with about 30 Viper bridge pickups in the last couple years is that they all measure about 10K Ohms, no matter if they came from a Viper III or a Viper II. I seem to recall some having Yellow leads and some Red, but they measured the same, so I didn't think much of it.
numbfingers
Posted 2007-12-21 11:14 AM (#69561 - in reply to #69534)

Originally posted by BruDeV:
The higher the guage number the smaller the wire which results in higher resistence.
Yeah, I had looked up 43 vs. 40 and the resistance would be about half for the same length. But the coil wound with 40 would be a lot fatter and (I think) have a little less inductance. Should sound different if everything else is equal.

It's common to rate pickups by their DC resistance but that really doesn't tell you much by itself. There are lots of other factors- inductance, magnetic structure, etc.

I have the bridge pickup from my 2 pickup Viper handy. It has black and red wires and measures 9.9K.

-Steve W.
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)