The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "There are more love songs than anything else. If songs could make you do something we'd all love one another." -Frank Zappa

Jump to page : 12
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
My Christmas Guitar?

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2007Message format

MusicMishka
Posted 2007-12-21 8:33 AM (#69164)
Subject: My Christmas Guitar?

OK, everyone knows that I just got the 08-5 Collector guitar; what most here do not know is that after three months of patience and inquiry, I was able to get the 1948 Martin D-28 that Elliot (Paul) had uncovered in his Guitars for Grunts projct: It arrived Monday and immediatly took the trip with me to Wayne Hendersons guitar shop in Rugby, VA several miles away where it is getting expert restoration and care! It is truely a guitar of a lifetime...what a piece of guitar history (I'll provide update photo's of the process). These two guitars are definatly the main part of my Christmas (for that matter the next several). So I was wondering: Who is getting a guitar for the holidays and what did you get?
Top of the page Bottom of the page
moody, p.i.
Posted 2007-12-21 8:57 AM (#69165 - in reply to #69164)
Subject: Re: My Christmas Guitar?

How can you afford all these guitars? Obviously, there's a pastor version of the cop "pad". I knew I shoulda gone into that work. There's more money. P.I.'s are limited to $200 a day plus expenses (at least until they stop showing The Rockford Files in reruns)....
Jeff
Posted 2007-12-21 9:03 AM (#69166 - in reply to #69164)

Well, I'm sorta getting a guitar for Christmas. It's an '82 1619-5 Custom Legend. It's sort of a Christmas present in the sense that I got my wife's blessing to buy it. I sold my Tak 12 string to fund most of it, but she kicked in the difference... Merry Christmas! :D

The actually guitar arrived yesterday, but unfortunately, it arrived damaged. About a 10" section of the top had come loose from the binding at the lower bout. My luthier is fixing it as we speak, and the good news is because it was a clean break w/ no splitting or splintering of the wood, I shouldn't even be able to tell it was ever damaged. I'll be picking up from him tomorrow. Here's the Ebay link if you want to see it:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=33019616003...
BluesSailor
Posted 2007-12-21 9:04 AM (#69167 - in reply to #69164)

Let's see, $200/day rolled up to account for inflation since 1978, plus milage and fuel adjustment....

Hmmm Paul, I'd think you could do better than that! ;) :D

(Think I just figured out I'd better keep track of my a$$ and never have to find anyone 'cause I won't be able to afford help finding either one!)

Merry Christmas.

Blues
moody, p.i.
Posted 2007-12-21 9:14 AM (#69168 - in reply to #69164)

It's those damend reruns on tv.

Jeff, that's great news that the guitar will be fine. Is he going to convert it to lefty or you? You'll have to change the nut, move the bridge pieces around a bit, and what else? How long will it take?
brainslag
Posted 2007-12-21 9:23 AM (#69169 - in reply to #69164)

I wish.
MusicMishka
Posted 2007-12-21 9:26 AM (#69170 - in reply to #69164)

Well Paul, it has nothing to do with my pay as a Pastor which is quite modest. It has everything to do with selling guitars that I have been collecting for years and putting it back into the collection for hopefully better instruments. The Martin was offered to many: most thought it was junk or not worth much...I knew better: I've been doing this since 1976...a little at a time for most of those years: then in 2001, I sold most of my guitar collection to bring SWMBO here from Russia...I'd do that again in a minute: but I have been very fortunate in using the means I have to put back together a small number (15) of fine guitars. The dig about the "pastor version of a "Cop Pad" is unfair and not true. Merry Christmas!
ProfessorBB
Posted 2007-12-21 9:35 AM (#69171 - in reply to #69164)

Guitars seem to come my way around the calendar, so I don't consider those arriving during the Christmas holidays to be any more special than, say, those arriving in May, or July, or August. On the other hand, those custom tuner buttons from Great Britain are a wonderful surprise. That's my present. And my health, and my family. And the friends I've made on this Board. Not the plum pudding, though. Somebody handed me a plate of it yesterday. One wiff and into the garbage bag it went.
moody, p.i.
Posted 2007-12-21 9:42 AM (#69172 - in reply to #69164)

Relax Mike. I was trying to be humorous. Have you ever known me to make accusations like that seriously? I don't see how there could be a "pastor's pad", but if there were one, I would have gone into that line of work years ago.

You're doing what another member of the board is doing, who accumulated guitars for years and now buys and sells out of a single fund. I wish I could do that buy my family hates it when I sell a guitar so I have a growing collection, but it grows slowly as I can afford it....
Jeff
Posted 2007-12-21 9:47 AM (#69173 - in reply to #69164)

Originally posted by moody, p.i.:

Jeff, that's great news that the guitar will be fine. Is he going to convert it to lefty or you? You'll have to change the nut, move the bridge pieces around a bit, and what else? How long will it take?
Paul, I'm doing the lefty conversion myself. Really, all I'm gonna do is change out the nut. Don't ask me why this is, but when it comes to Ovation's piezo saddles, I've never experienced a loss of intonation when flipping the string configuration over on a rght handed guitar for LH play. Now, on an acoustic only O, it's an entirely different story. On those, the result is just what you'd expect: the higher strings go flat the higher up on the fingerboard you go. The majority of Ovations I've owned have been converted right handed guitars, and the intonation has been consistant every time. So basically, I'll change the nut, adjust the saddle hieght to where I want it, maybe tweak the trus rod if necessary and I should be good to go. If all goes well, I'll be gigging with it tomorrow night!
MusicMishka
Posted 2007-12-21 9:55 AM (#69174 - in reply to #69164)

Thanks Paul, I was hoping you were...no harm no foul! I'm coming off off pain meds for the past 3 months...my feelings are on my sleeve, I guess...sorry! Its just the same thing that most expect of Pastors: have nothing and expect little...thats fine for me but not for my kids! And the guitars are their inheritance!
MusicMishka
Posted 2007-12-21 9:56 AM (#69175 - in reply to #69164)

BTW. Paul your OFC is off the charts! (as are they all...)
moody, p.i.
Posted 2007-12-21 10:04 AM (#69176 - in reply to #69164)

Jeez, Mike, I'm usually more clear the more meds I'm on. Better living thru chemistry.....
cliff
Posted 2007-12-21 10:11 AM (#69177 - in reply to #69164)

Personally, I think the guitar should've just gone to Iraq . . . but, . . . what do I know?? . . .
Beal
Posted 2007-12-21 10:12 AM (#69178 - in reply to #69164)

Mine's a Collings SJmaple wide neck that I didn't need until Tuppy pointed out the trail that led to it. Should get it today.
Tupperware
Posted 2007-12-21 10:13 AM (#69179 - in reply to #69164)

My guitar purchases tend to be impulsive, sporadic, and often difficult to justify/defend. We went through a few years of "buy yourself a guitar and put it under the tree" but that's really kind of lame. Especially now the kids are grown we really don't do much at xmas. No sense just buying "stuff" and thanks to god/allah/satan/budda/cwk2/whoever we are fortunate to not be in "need" of anything at this time. So we've really toned it down (unlike my neighbor acorss the street who has a freaking 12 foot diameter santa workshop ferris-wheel running in his front yeard). We ARE going to make one significant investment after the holidays. My wife's engagement ring was stolen about 20 years ago. It wasn't expensive and she wasn't really into jewelrey so we never replaced it. But now we want to do it. We're going to take my mothers diamond, her mothers diamond and embed them on either side of a nice new one. Personally, I'd get more enjoyment out of an HD TV. But I'm not in any position to say "no".

Dave
MusicMishka
Posted 2007-12-21 10:19 AM (#69180 - in reply to #69164)

Right Cliff...with a broken hedstock...that'd be a great gift! Instead, part of the money I paid bought playable guitars that did go! Along with 8 Dozen sets of strings in addition!
moody, p.i.
Posted 2007-12-21 10:19 AM (#69181 - in reply to #69164)

Dave, what's Julie's email address? She needs to see that last comment. On second thought, you've already probably said that to her altho' I'm not 100% certain that any sane man is that brave in front of his wife.....

We're still in the midst of raising kids, so bucks are reasonably tight for guitars, but I've got a wife who knows the enjoyment it brings me, knows that it's cheaper than drugs, golf, and hookers (when used on a regular basis), and has no problem with my indulging every once in a while. I am blessed......
Mark in Boise
Posted 2007-12-21 10:20 AM (#69182 - in reply to #69164)

Congrats guys. I'll just have to get along with what I have. I suspect that since SWMBO got new bedroom furniture for Christmas, my present will be half of the bed. Could be lots worse.
I've been watching that 83 Collector's on ebay that Paul Blanchard has been bidding on. I may have to buy that for my daughter and keep the 1537 I was going to give her.
She got her new ring for our 30th last year and I got the OFC. We also did the HDTV thing, but she made me wait until after the Superbowl. Wish I could have seen the Fiesta Bowl on it though. Merry Christmas.
MusicMishka
Posted 2007-12-21 10:21 AM (#69183 - in reply to #69164)

We're still in the midst of raising kids, so bucks are reasonably tight for guitars, but I've got a wife who knows the enjoyment it brings me, knows that it's cheaper than drugs, golf, and hookers (when used on a regular basis), and has no problem with my indulging every once in a while. I am blessed......
Exactlly Paul!
Paulcc1
Posted 2007-12-21 10:55 AM (#69184 - in reply to #69164)

moody p.i. posted "Obviously, there's a pastor version of the cop "pad"."
Paul clergy do receive a stipend for funerals so if you whack anybody I'll cut ya in for 20%
Pauly
moody, p.i.
Posted 2007-12-21 11:46 AM (#69185 - in reply to #69164)

Pauly, I knew you'd have an answer. Stay tuned, I'll keep you posted....
Mark in Boise
Posted 2007-12-21 12:06 PM (#69186 - in reply to #69164)

Can you imagine somebody getting a new Ovation for Christmas, googling about it and pulling up this thread? If so, please understand that we're just kidding most of the time.
felonius funk
Posted 2007-12-21 12:17 PM (#69187 - in reply to #69164)

I'm really not a collector, though I have a few. All the money I make playing gets tossed in the safe for "whatever/whenever". This year I faced facts that since my fifteen year old Takamine was getting ready for it's third re-fret, and has a very "Trigger-like" hole in the top, it was time for a new guitar.
Have had the 1778 t elite for about a month and love it. Since we released cash from the "plush fund" we called it a christmas present.
MWoody
Posted 2007-12-21 1:17 PM (#69188 - in reply to #69164)

I'm not a guitar Player, but I play one on the Internet!

This Christmas is about giving to others and not getting.

That said I just picked up a 42" LCd with mount, sound Kit and cables last night for under $1300.

Gotta love a motivated seller.
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)