The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Got time to breathe, got time for music." --Briscoe Darling.

Jump to page : 12
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
A Very Bad Joke Before Xmas...

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2007Message format

an4340
Posted 2007-12-24 9:33 AM (#68987 - in reply to #68962)
Subject: Re: A Very Bad Joke Before Xmas...

It takes a while to get the humidity up. If you can, you might want to put a hygrometer in the case to get a base reading, and then through in a little humidifier if needed. Damn, what a bummer.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
seesquare
Posted 2007-12-24 9:48 AM (#68988 - in reply to #68962)

How much would one of those little gurgling, table-top fountains add to the relative humidity?
If you added an aquarium heater, you could probably regulate the levels, somewhat.
Just a thought.....
an4340
Posted 2007-12-24 10:26 AM (#68989 - in reply to #68962)

A table top fountain would add something, but how much, who knows.

I guess what you'd have to do is go about a week without a humidifier, check your hygrometer, then put on the table top fountain for a few days. The difference would be what it adds. Do I want to be bothered with that? Nah.
Mark in Boise
Posted 2007-12-24 12:10 PM (#68990 - in reply to #68962)

Jerome, I had too many guitars to keep humidified in cases. One reason I keep them out of the cases is so that I can keep them all in the same room with the humidifier. It gets very dry here in the winter. I have a humidifier that keeps the room at 46%. The rest of the house gets down to about 20% in the winter, so I don't leave the guitars in the rest of the house. I was thinking about bringing one of the Adamas up to the family room, thinking that they wouldn't be affected by the lack of humidity, but now I'll just leave them in the room with the humidifier. You might try a room humidifier. Mine was around $40.
Tim in Tidewater
Posted 2007-12-24 12:36 PM (#68991 - in reply to #68962)

Mark,

Same condition in the house here in Virginia. The music room humidifier stays around 42-46%. I leave the door open so that some of it spills out to the bedrooms. Only downside to refilling it every day but if it keeps the kids fine, I don't mind :D
Maybe next year, I'll look at adding a humidifier unit to the central heating unit. I got a 5 gallon unit for about $75.

Jerome,
Sorry my friend...but the mothership can make it right again!

Tim
Mark in Boise
Posted 2007-12-24 1:25 PM (#68992 - in reply to #68962)

I thought about the same thing, Tim, but I wasn't sure I wanted the higher humidity in the rest of the house. Mine's only a couple gallons, but I only have to fill it every couple days, unless it gets really cold and the heat is on all the time.
I moved here, where the humidity rarely gets above 30, from Iowa, where it was humid most of the time and brought my Matrix. I left it out for 30 years and it never even got a finish crack. I've been lucky, I guess.
MusicMishka
Posted 2007-12-24 3:35 PM (#68993 - in reply to #68962)

Jerome,
I've just read this and I am so sorry to hear of this happening...I am sure it will be remedied by the mother ship, but it is a shock, I have no doubt: 1978, Lincoln Nebraska hotel room, I was in a hurry to leave and dropped my 1969 Martin D-28 Brazilian on the sofa from a height of about 8 inches: it bounced about two inches and the G tuner struck the end table. The guitar opened up as if a knife had sliced it: through the heel, neck block and halfway down both sides...I was in shock: I immediately cut the strings, and called Martin. They were on strike...suggested Don Teeter in Okla. City. He fixed it for $45. That would never happen today! Jerome, the factory will make it new!
Merry Christmas anyway! There's a song in there somewhere....
zephdef
Posted 2007-12-25 8:40 AM (#68994 - in reply to #68962)

Hi , Jerome, sorry to hear your news, but will you be able to send it out of france , have the repairs done and recieve it back again without a hassle with the customs guys ?.... anyway , have a happy chrismas today, and think about the problems tomorrow!!.....Jim
Charlie Ramon
Posted 2007-12-25 1:48 PM (#68995 - in reply to #68962)

Jerome, first of all I wish you a Merry Christmas! Hope you feel better now after the shock with the UTE.

I use a humidifier with a built-in humidistat which keeps the humidity constant at the level you like to have. I keep the music room at 50% humidity and 20 centigrade (68 degress F). Currently the humidifier works very hard.

Shipping to the mothership and back is no problem, I've already done that. You don't have to pay customs duties for the value of the guitar itself but for the amount you payed for the repair. In case of warranty you only have to pay duties for the USPS shipping fee (crazy but that are the rules, at least in Germany). Before you ship it, keep the guitar for (let's say) two weeks in a 50% humidity environment.

Karl
Jérôme
Posted 2007-12-26 1:03 AM (#68996 - in reply to #68962)

Thanks guys for you messages!!!

Karl, do you know where I can buy such an humidifier and is it expensive??
Maybe someone can make a suggestion for other models???
I'm decided to buy one very fast.

Thanks

J :)
Charlie Ramon
Posted 2007-12-26 4:09 AM (#68997 - in reply to #68962)

Jerome, I bought mine at Klimalex Internet Shop in Germany. It´s not a bargain but don´t forget what it costs to repair a damaged guitar. They also have lower priced humidifiers on their site. I´m sure the honeywell equipment is also available in France, otherwise don´t hesitate to contact me. No problem for me to procure one for you.

Karl
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclub™ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)