The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "I've always felt that blues, rock 'n' roll and country are just about a beat apart."-Waylon Jennings

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Fingerpicks for Lester Flatt style bluegrass guitar

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2007Message format

HobbyPicker
Posted 2007-12-26 7:19 PM (#68636)
Subject: Fingerpicks for Lester Flatt style bluegrass guitar

Recently I started playing with a banjo player, doing a little bluegrass stuff. I'm basically a fingerpicker, having a bit of trouble with the flatpick, when trying to do something more sophisticated than six string strumming. After some investigation, I realized that one of the founders of bluegrass, Lester Flatt, used a thumb pick and a pick on his index finger, playing rythm guitar. I've got a set of Pro Pik Fingertone picks:

Those are pretty good for a fingerpicker used to playing with bare fingers, since you hit the string with your fingertip along with the steel rim on the pick, but ror strumming the high strings in bluegrass rythm playing they're not good. I've read that the John Pearse Hi Rider is similar to the picks Flatt used:

Is there anyone here that plays Flatt style, and have advice on picks best suited for this playing!
For the moment I use an old Dunlop plastic pick on the index finger, but I could need something better still! :)
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclub™ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)