The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "One good thing about music, when it hits you, you feel no pain." - Bob Marley

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Greetings

View previous thread :: View next thread
   The Ovation Fan Club -> Welcome CenterMessage format

bpeder
Posted 2011-01-04 5:16 PM (#2294)
Subject: Greetings

I have lurked about for some time and decided to join up. OFC seems to have quite a few dedicated and knowledgeable members. My initial post is about my first guitar - purchased when I was just learning.

I had seen Paul McCartney and Wings on their "Wings Over America" tour in '74 and knew I had to have an Ovation 12 string. I still have it but it has become kind of unplayable as the top has developed mutiple cracks in the surface and in the wood, and the bridge has risen quite a bit.

It's a Pacemaker without the fancy fretboard inlays or carved bridge but a nice guitar, and one I always liked. I bought it in 1977 and it has sentimental value to me, but what is its intrinsic value? Specifically, would it be worth sending to the Mother Ship for re-bowling/topping?

I'm looking for just a few quick opinions here - I realize that I'm the only one who can for sure know what the value of the re-furbished guitar would be. But I'd like the experienced folks here to weigh in if it's convenient. All things being equal, what would you all think? I'm going on the assumption that the work would be roughly 600 bucks. I don't think a new comparable Ovation can be had for that price, and my first guitar? Can't put a price on it. Thanks in advance for any feedback!
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Weaser P
Posted 2011-01-04 6:20 PM (#2295 - in reply to #2294)
Subject: Re: Greetings

Pacemakers are great 12'ers and adding the sentimental value of it being the "first", well, you're right, only you can slap that price on it. One opinion (mine) would be that, sentimental value aside, you could probably replace it with another PM in nice shape for that $600 or not too much more.

If you did send it back for a complete re-do, where it would come back in STELLAR shape (and I know this because I've had one completely re-done), it'd be like new AND it'd still be your first. Worth what you put in? Probably not in re-sale but if you're going to keep it, who really cares what it's worth to anyone else?

Good luck and hope that helped even a little...(and welcome aboard too!).
G8r
Posted 2011-01-04 7:32 PM (#2296 - in reply to #2294)

For $600 you can find a dead mint Pacemaker, with minor cosmetic flaws more in the 350-400 range. They're just about the best bang-for-the-buck 12-er ever, but as already mentioned, only you can put a price on sentimental value.

Depending on how bad the damage is, they might just want to replace the top and bowl altogether, leaving you with just the original neck. At that point, is it really your old guitar? Just something to consider...
PEZ
Posted 2011-01-05 3:18 PM (#2297 - in reply to #2294)

Contact costomer service get an estimate
Old Man Arthur
Posted 2011-01-05 3:32 PM (#2298 - in reply to #2294)

Long time ago, well three years or so, I had a Pacemaker that I sent back to the MotherShip.
I started-out wanting a neck reset, but I ended-up getting a new body.
The top had cracked so they replaced the bowl and top and gave it a non-standard paint job.
Gave it a new bridge without bolts, but the saved the foil label and put it in the new bowl.
They dressed the frets and set it all up.
Oh, they shined-up my funky tuning machinery.
The work and parts cost a tad less than $500, plus shipping to them.
So even with inflation, you could still get a Great deal.

This is how it looked once they finished.

I sold it to an OFC Member. :( :p
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)